Home News Reviews Forums Shop

FUJI 16x DVD-R

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

FUJI 16x DVD-R

Postby RJW on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:07 am

The stock of FUJI 16x DVD-R arriveing on the european market is PRODISC-F02.

Looks like FUJI continues with not usseing Taiyo Yuden.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:56 am

Looks like Fuji contines to be stupid :roll:

Although with the TY problem they had, I can sorta understand... but we still aren't sure who's fault that is entirely.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:59 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Looks like Fuji contines to be stupid :roll:

Although with the TY problem they had, I can sorta understand... but we still aren't sure who's fault that is entirely.

What was the TY problem they had?
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:55 pm

thegdog wrote:

The media had a high failure rate and was quite problamatic.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:01 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:The media had a high failure rate and was quite problamatic.

But then Plextor recommends it for 18x writing? :o
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gen-An on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:44 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
thegdog wrote:

The media had a high failure rate and was quite problamatic.

I'd heard of Fuji TY having problems, but I always attributed it to Fuji's handling since other OEM TY media had no such issues. TY is still the most reliable media IMO.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Ian wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:The media had a high failure rate and was quite problamatic.

But then Plextor recommends it for 18x writing? :o

I'm sure Plextor was not specifically thinking of Fuji brand TY media when they thought of that....

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 pm

Gen-An wrote:I'd heard of Fuji TY having problems, but I always attributed it to Fuji's handling since other OEM TY media had no such issues. TY is still the most reliable media IMO.

Would you feel the same way if you knew that one of the reasons that Maxell used RITEKG05 media as their OEM instead of TY is because the media offered was too problamatic compared to the media offered by Ritek?

Now in the long run, the opposite is true.... but it was enough of a difference (added with the cost difference) to sway Maxell into using Ritek for their OEMing..... of course Maxell has learned a valuable lesson (after repeated verbal pummelings) and will not be so easily convinced of Ritek's media being good quality.... or at the very least will be more careful in checking what media Ritek is actually selling to them next time!!

I'm pretty sure Maxell is about ready to dump Ritek now though :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:44 am

I wonder why Maxell felt the need to continue to supply 8x media. Verbatim has pretty much switched to 16x for the North American market, though some 8x is still "out there." Verbatim in Europe has been supplying TY, Ritek and CMC for 8x from what I've read on various forums; is the demand for 8x media still that high? 16x media does pretty well at 8x from what I've seen as well as tests I've done myself.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:28 am

Gen-An wrote:I wonder why Maxell felt the need to continue to supply 8x media. Verbatim has pretty much switched to 16x for the North American market, though some 8x is still "out there." Verbatim in Europe has been supplying TY, Ritek and CMC for 8x from what I've read on various forums; is the demand for 8x media still that high? 16x media does pretty well at 8x from what I've seen as well as tests I've done myself.

North America still has a strong market for 8x DVDRs, although TY sales are getting very close, with 8x only having a small advantage over 16x (in the DVD-R only of course!). Ritek is still almost entirely 8x, so is Verbatim and Sony is ONLY 8x in Canada, and 99% 8x in USA. Memorex is pushing 16x very hard, but they're the only ones.... for the most part consumers seem to be buying whatever is cheapest (except with TY), and that is often NOT 16x.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:38 am

Stupid? :-?

For using media that utilizes their own Oxonol based dye?
PRODISCF02
I believe that F = Fujifilm.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:50 am

Yes ProdiscF02 uses Fuji Oxolife(based on a oxonol structure.) but then again a lot of other manufacturers also use this pigment.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:57 am

Wesociety wrote:

Stupid? :-?

For using media that utilizes their own Oxonol based dye?
PRODISCF02
I believe that F = Fujifilm.

Just because a good dye is used, does not mean the disc using it is made well. You know better then that :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:20 pm

Hello!

Anyone here have so bad experiences with ProdiscF02?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:32 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Just because a good dye is used, does not mean the disc using it is made well. You know better then that :wink:

I never said anything of the sort. [-X

I was insinuating that it is probably "not stupid" to support a dye that your company has developed. I made no comments on ProdiscF02 quality, as I have not had any firsthand experience with these discs (yet).
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:38 pm

Wesociety wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Just because a good dye is used, does not mean the disc using it is made well. You know better then that :wink:

I never said anything of the sort. [-X

I was insinuating that it is probably "not stupid" to support a dye that your company has developed. I made no comments on ProdiscF02 quality, as I have not had any firsthand experience with these discs (yet).

Well, I'm just thinking that any company that knowingly and consistantly manufactures 3-5 different codes for the same type of optical media is just ASKING to be ignored by drive manufacturers, simply because it's too much work to support all their codes.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:28 pm

I know you love Prodisc! :lol:
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Wesociety wrote:I know you love Prodisc! :lol:

They took the song "dare to be stupid" to heart :wink:

But hopefully after they merge with Optodisc (if it happens) they'll learn a little bit about some of the do's and don't's of manufacturing DVDs (Frankly, I'd be happy if they just learned how to not need 3-5 different codes for 1 type of disc!!)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:43 am

Under the current conditions prodisc business strategy requires at least 3 codes.
So to stay stupid is wrong, because actually this strategy also has some advantages or else they wouldn't be usseing it.
But on the other hand the way how prodisc supplies media for there own brands can be quite frustrating which makes them look stupid to other folks.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:06 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
They took the song "dare to be stupid" to heart :wink:

But hopefully after they merge with Optodisc (if it happens) they'll learn a little bit about some of the do's and don't's of manufacturing DVDs (Frankly, I'd be happy if they just learned how to not need 3-5 different codes for 1 type of disc!!)

Weird Al Yankovic?

I hope that Optodisc learn something from Prodisc :)
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:25 am

RJW wrote:Under the current conditions prodisc business strategy requires at least 3 codes.
So to stay stupid is wrong, because actually this strategy also has some advantages or else they wouldn't be usseing it.
But on the other hand the way how prodisc supplies media for there own brands can be quite frustrating which makes them look stupid to other folks.

I've seen more companies switch from using Prodisc to Optodisc because they couldn't guarentee what media they would get between shipments then I have companies switch from Optodisc to Prodisc because of quality or compatability issues.

From both a business and a consumer standpoint, I can't see Prodisc's way of doing business as anything but stupid.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:32 am

Scour wrote:Weird Al Yankovic?

I hope that Optodisc learn something from Prodisc :)

What's wrong with Weird Al Yankovic? Or more importantly, what's wrong with the soundtrack for Transformers the Movie? :wink:

Regarding Prodisc/Optodisc.... in the merger, the only thing Prodisc has going for them is Production Capacity, which is larger then Optodisc's. Optodisc certainly knows how to run a business better, and when comparing their best media against each other, their is little difference in quality (assuming best conditions for both). Now you have probably encountered a LOT more low grade Optodisc media then A grade, so your experiences are a little biased. This is entirely because Optodisc sends most of their low grade media to Europe.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:53 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:What's wrong with Weird Al Yankovic? Or more importantly, what's wrong with the soundtrack for Transformers the Movie? :wink:

Absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned! Stan Bush and Vince Dicola owned!
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:57 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
What's wrong with Weird Al Yankovic? Or more importantly, what's wrong with the soundtrack for Transformers the Movie? :wink:

Regarding Prodisc/Optodisc.... in the merger, the only thing Prodisc has going for them is Production Capacity, which is larger then Optodisc's. Optodisc certainly knows how to run a business better, and when comparing their best media against each other, their is little difference in quality (assuming best conditions for both). Now you have probably encountered a LOT more low grade Optodisc media then A grade, so your experiences are a little biased. This is entirely because Optodisc sends most of their low grade media to Europe.

Nothing wrong, I really like Weird Al and his good music-videos :)

Maybe I´m biased because I have not good experiences with Optodiscs 4x-media and RW, but you are biased because of your experiences with older Prodisc ;)

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:46 pm

Scour wrote:Maybe I´m biased because I have not good experiences with Optodiscs 4x-media and RW, but you are biased because of your experiences with older Prodisc ;)

Optodisc's 4x DVD-Rs weren't that great... their 4x DVD+Rs become one of the best though (check some C't test results). As for RWs, they're considered to be one of the best as well. Both Maxell and Mitsui use them for RWs :wink: Their DVD-RAM is also top notch, being that they're the only company qualified to manufacture DVD-RAM media for Maxell (who is considered THE number one DVD-RAM manufacturer!!).

Regarding my experiences with Prodisc.... just because I was personally burned by their low grade CD-Rs with lame ass life spans, not to mention subpar CD-RWs that died after 3 burns on average (sometimes could be stretched to 5 burns...)... that doens't mean I don't keep up with current Prodisc media. I've been completely unimpressed with PRODISCF01 and FUJIFILM03 made by Prodisc, MCC02RG20 and PRODISCS04 were "ok". PRODISCR03 was usually good for me (although I've read about others having problems on it frequently, so I tread carefully with it). PRODISCF02 and PRODISCS05 seem to be limited in support currently. Newer Prodisc 16x DVD+Rs don't seem quite as good as their 8x DVD+Rs unfortunately.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to DVD Writers