Home News Reviews Forums Shop

UPS Sucks

What was that?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:17 pm

Wow! This Christmas UPS gave me a present :D

a ~$50 service refund on a next day air international shipment that was a few hours late being delivered (but still on time for Christmas!).

Thanks UPS!! :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:59 pm

This year, I had a UPS glitch, but followed up by the best service I've ever had from them.

Two packages, for the wife for Christmas, scheduled for the 22nd at work. One came. One didn't.

Look up the tracking info online, and the one that didn't come says "Customer called requested hold until specified delivery date". WTH? I didn't call. But I did then. Only to find that during the holidays, UPS doesn't have voice operators. Great.

Drive down to the regional distribution center, about 10 miles out of my way. Explain my situation to the gal at the desk (remembering the rude reception I got the last time I did this 3 years ago by someone who told me I'd just have to wait for a second delivery attempt; note that everyone had work off the next day, so the package wouldn't be received then). They spent 25 minutes hunting down my package in the warehouse, knowing that I needed it. Their extra effort and politeness earned them what was left of my wife's Christmas toffee that had been brought to work for my students. So, while I'm not a huge UPS fan, hats off to customer service at the regional center. They saved Christmas for me despite their company's prior mistake.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:50 pm

Latest f' up by UPS. Billing info received from Crutchfield on 12/20. Until 8 am this morning, it was still showing only that "Billing Info has been received blah, blah"

Item is shipping from MD, I'm in NJ, that is 2 day territory even on regular ground shipments. Holidays or not, WTF takes 7 days for them just to scan the pkg into their system? They claim it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but we'll see. This is the 1st time I have ordered from Crutchfield and not had the item 2 days after the item shipped.

This is the 3rd time since the summer that I have ordered something (shipped by UPS) and saw that "Billing Info has been received blah, blah" for an unusual amount of time, one of them showed up after 2 weeks, the other is still nowhere to be seen (I am currently going back & forth w/the seller trying to get this straightened out).

Needless to say, UPS is not at the top of my good companies to deal with list
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:36 pm

WOW, Buckaroos, it just doesn't get any better than this!

I ordered some fans from jab-tech.com at 10PM PST, Monday night.
They are in Oklahoma.
They packed it up and ready to go by 9AM, Tuesday.
Picked up by UPS by 3PM that day and on the way.
My first tracking check that evening showed
due for arrival on Monday, Jan. 23.

On my doorstep at 2PM this afternoon!

I guess that the driver didn't stop for
chicken fried steak, mash, biscuits and country gravy
at the Iron Skillet east of Kingman.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:11 am

I ordered some Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL discs from Newegg (http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21840). The stupid UPS driver tried to deliver them to my house but could not find it. He said our address was vacant. Given, we live in a new subdivision and there are a lot of vacant lots. However, our address is on our mailbox and on the front of the house.

Thanks to Newegg's ridiculous restrictions, they will not redeliver, even if I give them directions (ever hear of Mapquest UPS?). Now I have to make a trip over to the damn UPS place and pick the stuff up.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:04 pm

Send UPS an invoice for the gas, and tell them to better educate their driver in charge of your area.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Go to the local UPS and politely inform them of the subdivision location, and have them get familiar with the layout. You could even make a map on a sheet of paper for the addresses. There are probably other customers who aren't getting their stuff. It's a given that they should have the foresight to familiarize themselves with the roads and use Mapquest if necessary. But things are apparently disorganized and unresourceful there. UPS drivers don't have laptops with maps on them (probably would get stolen), but they should call back to "base" and get the directions. The bottom line is that they need to learn how to get packages to your house in the future.

I always have my stuff delivered to my work because I can't be home all day waiting for a package.

PS. Why on Earth did you order 8x DVDs instead of 16x?
Last edited by Alektron on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:35 pm

I ordered 8x DVD+R DL discs. 16x DL discs don't exist yet. :wink:

I offered to give them directions but due to Newegg's retarded restrictions they couldn't redeliver. It's not like Newegg had the wrong address either. The stupid driver just couldn't find the house.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Alektron on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:39 pm

hehe..! for some reason, I overlooked the "DL".
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:09 am

Hertz rental cars have GPS navigation. Are UPS trucks lacking this feature?

UPS' new slogan should be: "Who do you think we are? Hertz?"
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:08 am

TheWizard wrote:Hertz rental cars have GPS navigation. Are UPS trucks lacking this feature?

:lol: , good one!

The truck that covers my area doesn't have GPS. I have seen other trucks that do but they might be the drivers personal units. In this instance I'm not sure GPS would have helped Ian out if he's in a new subdivision.
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:39 pm

Ian wrote:Thanks to Newegg's ridiculous restrictions, they will not redeliver, even if I give them directions (ever hear of Mapquest UPS?). Now I have to make a trip over to the damn UPS place and pick the stuff up.

WTF! Why wouldn't Newegg want packages shipped with the standard 3 delivery attempts? Surely it would decrease the number of returns.

So I decided to check their FAQ. They can't seem to make up their mind.

There are several delivery options available. First, look closely at the InfoNotice to see if any instructional boxes are checked. Depending on the requirements of the shipper, you may be able to sign the back of the InfoNotice authorizing the driver to leave your package. Or, in the comments section of the note, you may write another address where the driver should take the package for delivery.

You may also submit a Delivery Change Request using the UPS Web site. Enter your 12 digit InfoNotice number on the Tracking page to begin requesting a change of delivery. You may choose from the following four options:

* Reschedule Delivery: Reschedule a date for delivery at the original address.
* Return to Shipper: Return your package to the shipper.

But for FredEx...

Due to fraud concerns, Newegg.com does not give FedEx consent to hold packages for customers to pick up at their local FedEx facilities. We humbly apologize for any inconvenience, but we feel that this precautionary measure is necessary to safeguard your purchased items. Similarly, Newegg.com will not request that a package be re-routed to an alternative location once it is in transit to the shipping address specified on the original order.

WTF! Make up your mind people!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby [buck] on Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:49 pm

aviationwiz wrote:WTF! Why wouldn't Newegg want packages shipped with the standard 3 delivery attempts? Surely it would decrease the number of returns.

Is it possible that Newegg get's some kind of discount for requesting that additional attempts not be made? It saves gas and time, I guess :-?
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:45 am

Quite probable I suppose, but it's still no explanation for the completely different anwsers given for FredEx and UPS.

Back before Newegg offered UPS, I've both had packages delivered on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, and have picked up packages at the local FredEx hub.

Perhaps ironically, I really haven't used Newegg that much since they started offering UPS, mainly because their prices weren't a whole lot better than (if they were) their competitor's, not to mention some of their crappy policies, such as RMA (for exchange or repair) and return (though I give them kudos for giving me $10 for shipping back a dead part to them, after I asked.)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby LoneWolf on Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:59 pm

NewEgg's packaging job has gotten worse, too. I had to sent back an NEC 3550A last month with a gouged front faceplate. Their outside shipping boxes are much poorer quality than they used to be (results = not holding up well under shipping), and whoever is using the peanut gun isn't doing a good job filling the boxes either. Even then though, if UPS had been a little more careful, I don't think there'd have been a problem. The second box that came to my place wasn't in much better shape, but the drive was okay.

I've always had two major retailers for most of my stuff: the `Egg and ZipZoomFly. I'm drifting back towards ZZF, whose packaging job seems up to par, and who ships FedEx rather than UPS. Their online shopping engine isn't nearly as slick, but hey, I can always find what I want at NewEgg, then do a search for the same thing on ZZF if I absolutely need to.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:48 pm

ZZF rocks!! I have never had an issue with them at all. Top notch with pricing and as you said, the shipping is great.

THey always used to offer free 2nd day Fed Ex, but I ordered some RAM for my rig about 2 months ago, and they were no longer offering that on msot oif the items I looked at. I think it was just free Fed Ex ground (5-7 day I believe). But for a paltry .99, I got 2nd day Fed Ex, not a bad deal, considering that shipment went from Cali to NJ.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:02 am

It's now $1.99 for 2-day FedEx.

There's an easy answer why they don't offer free 2-day anymore and only offer free ground: fuel charges for all carriers have become a major issue. Prices of both aviation fuel such as jet kerosene, and diesel for their trucks, have only continued to rise. Someone had to absorb the cost somewhere, and it was either vendors, or us. I can understand the change; I think they had to do it to keep their margins.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:06 pm

I totally agree, I thought I put in my post that I figured it was the fuel costs, but it looks like I forgot.

I wasn't by any means griping about the shipping ahrges, that is still awesome pricing for 2 day shipping. I would gladly pay 2 bucks to get a package in 2 days, beats the hell out of $20+.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:29 pm

Another UPS next day airshipment to my house...
Another UPS charge of ~$30 that shouldn't have applied to a gift...
Another angry phone call to UPS customer service
Another 24 BUSINESS HOURS (~3 days) before they'll call me back to tell me I get...
Another full refund

Why do I keep shipping UPS?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:16 pm

I moved last year. I bought a house in town instead of out in the country where I was staying. You would think UPS would manage to deliver to my house properly in a town. My house number is prominently displayed on my house and I live right on a major highway. Yesterday I checked the tracking number to see where the hell it was at. It said they attempted delivery and no one was home.WTF? I was here sitting on the porch brushing my dogs hair when it says they tried. So I called UPS and they said sorry he would retry to deliver. I waited and waited. Finally I check the tracking number again and it says delivered. again WTF??? I called UPS up and asked where exactly this package was delivered to. They said I signed for it. Now I am confused as hell. UPS never has me sign for anything usually just throw it in my yard and leave not even making it to the porch but anyway I didnt sign anything. They said they would call me back after investigating. About an hour later my neighbor comes walking down the block with a big old box in his hand and hands it to me. Its my package. My address is 421 they delivered it to 619???? And my neighbor said he didnt sign for it that it was sitting in his driveway when he came home from work. I wake up this morning and walk out to my mailbox and there is a UPS tag hanging on it that says sorry they missed me this morning and they would attempt redelivery later today.?? I called UPS back and told them I had the package and they said oh disregard the note. This is absolutely horrible. I hate UPS with a passion. I wish more companys used USPS,FEDEX,DHL,Airborne Express. They all manage to deliver to me no problem. This is the same crap I went through when I lived out in the sticks with UPS. They need to fire these drivers seriously.
Probably the same stinking driver that used to goto my old house as its only 30 miles away. Heres the tracking info on it.

Delivered

Delivered on: 07/17/2006 4:22 P.M.
Signed by: XXXXXX
Delivered to: BRAZIL, IN, US
Shipped or Billed on: 07/10/2006
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 9.20 Lbs

Package Progress:

Location Date Local Time Activity
TERRE HAUTE, IN, US 07/17/2006 4:22 P.M. DELIVERY
07/17/2006 2:17 P.M. THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE
07/17/2006 6:18 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
07/17/2006 4:02 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
INDIANAPOLIS, IN, US 07/15/2006 12:02 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
INDIANAPOLIS, IN, US 07/14/2006 8:18 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
COMMERCE CITY, CO, US 07/12/2006 9:32 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/12/2006 3:47 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LAS VEGAS, NV, US 07/11/2006 10:00 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
07/11/2006 7:34 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 07/10/2006 7:44 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:51 pm

TheWizard wrote:Hertz rental cars have GPS navigation. Are UPS trucks lacking this feature?

Yes, they do have GPS, and so do the FedEx trucks.
But you have to update your profile, shipping address, with Newegg and the others, with your latitude and longitude coordinates. :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:56 pm

as a truck driver I can tell you this. Companies dont give GPS to the driver. Almost all semis on the road have Qualcomm systems in them but the driver cant access it. Only the company can. The reason no company allows this is insurance. What if a driver wrecked his truck looking at his GPS he could then blame the company for using equipment they supplied and be a major lawsuit. Most drivers are starting to use their own GPS tho. I do.
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:11 pm

10-4, Wicked1.

I just made that up as a joke.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:01 pm

wicked1 wrote:as a truck driver I can tell you this. Companies dont give GPS to the driver.

The new DIAD (I think it's the DIAD V) which is starting to be rolled out actually does have GPS in it, which supposedly, at least according to all the information from them about it, will tell a driver if he's in the right place for a delivery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This problem actually happened to me about 2 years ago as well, a package got missorted and, instead of going to Minneapolis, went to Fargo. Arrived 2 days late. Pissed me off a bit, but since the stuff wasn't actually for me, I didn't mind too much.

I was, however, the person who ordered it, so I wrote up Beach Audio (where I bought the stuff) a nice little email detailing what happened and asked for a refund on the shipping charges, since UPS Ground is a guaranteed service, which they can be refunded for from UPS. They then wrote me back saying that UPS Ground isn't guaranteed! What a load of bull!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby wicked1 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:01 pm

the biggest problem with addresses and delivery is it is rare an invoice they give us has the actual delivery point. They usually give us the address of the main office or visitor office or some crap. I have had to back up 1.5 miles before because of this. Had an oversize load on and they gave me the offices
address instead of the receiving address. Talk about an angry individual. :evil: I wish they would give us the address where they want it delivered and not where the companies headquarters are. I am done with over the road driving though. I am going to drive Indiana only from now on. That way I can be home at night. I am tired of living in a truck. I know where most stuff is in Indiana :)
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum

wicked1
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to Rants n' Raves