Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HiDef Releases - Announced and Not

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Postby Wesociety on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Just watched "The Host" today. Great flick, my only complaint is that the CGI monster looked a bit too cartoony and out of place at some points. Other times, the monster was blended in with the background and film elements nicely. Overall, I still definitely recommend watching it.

Regarding Grindhouse, I enjoyed both Planet Terror and Death Proof. *IF* I decide to purchase either of these, I will wait for the Grindhouse edition that is slated for release next year (according to that article).
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:34 am

I watched The Host last night. I must have missed something at the end, but what happened to the little girl? Did she die?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Ian wrote:I watched The Host last night. I must have missed something at the end, but what happened to the little girl? Did she die?

Spoiler alert (highlight below to read).

[spoiler]The film did not explicitly state that she died, but yes, it was assumed that she was dead as her limp body did not respond after being ejected from the monster's mouth and when they fast forwarded later on, only the little boy and the dad were left living in the trailer.[/spoiler]
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby OoAnd1 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:33 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
OoAnd1 wrote:I'd like to see them bring the new "Serenity" Special Edition out on HD-DVD as well.

And I also can't wait to see the Spider-Man movies in HD. Hopefully they do it right and give it that 3-D feel to it.

I don't know if a second release of Serenity is likely so soon on HD DVD, but maybe? But I'm sure that whatever happens, when Sony puts Spiderman out on Blu-Ray, it's going to be one of the very best looking transfers on the market, akin to Pirates of the Caribbean from Disney :)

"Also available is the "Spider-Man High Definition Trilogy," a three-pack release of all three films on Blu-ray High-Def allowing fans an exclusive opportunity to collect both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 in high definition, along with "Spider-Man 2.1" and Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man 3 will also be available as a stand-alone two-disc release on Blu-ray High-Def."

Two-disc release of Spider-Man 3? I'm new to the high-def world but I thought 2-disc releases were last-gen. At last I hoped they were. Still a must buy for me though.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=6136
OoAnd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby Grain on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Morpheus wrote:Why? That's good news for me. I love Planet Terror and totally despised Death Proof. I was hoping when Grindhouse was to be released on DVD that they will have the 2 movies individually. I still wanted ALL of the fake trailers AND the missing reels from Planet Terror. I take it they're alot of people out who feel the same.

Why, because I was hoping for a big box set off the hop, not having to wait 'till 08. I can appreciate that others don't want both in one, but there's no reason that the studio couldn't have released each movie on it's own, as well as a box set at the same time. No reason other than hoping for people to double dip.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Got my HD-DVD of Dawn of the Dead(2004) on Monday! Unfortunately even though it's the Unrated DC, it still has one scene censored like all the R1 DVD's :x (the rest of the world didn't censor it).
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Looks like I'll be buying some BR discs in October. Starz is releasing 3 titles I will be picking up, Romero's Dawn & Day of the Dead, & Raimi's Evil Dead 2. Once again apple before the cart, ie software before hardware :lol:
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:55 pm

I loved the Evil Dead and Army of Darkness movies... There have been rumors that there was one more in the works... Hope that one day is true.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:27 pm

SithTracy wrote:I loved the Evil Dead and Army of Darkness movies... There have been rumors that there was one more in the works... Hope that one day is true.

Yeah... I'd love to pickup Army of Darkness in HiDef. But it's not worth investing in a new format. Even with Serenity, Heroes, and Blades of Glory on the same side.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:10 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Yeah... I'd love to pickup Army of Darkness in HiDef. But it's not worth investing in a new format.

I have the R3 Hong Kong MGM DVD release of Army of Darkness. While I don't yet have the HD-DVD to compare it too, I suspect it's ultimately a better version. Here's the spec's http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1398#overall
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm

Grain wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Yeah... I'd love to pickup Army of Darkness in HiDef. But it's not worth investing in a new format.

I have the R3 Hong Kong MGM DVD release of Army of Darkness. While I don't yet have the HD-DVD to compare it too, I suspect it's ultimately a better version. Here's the spec's http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1398#overall

Holy crap! :o

Ok, you win... where do I order from? =P~
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:57 pm

I bot mine from yesasia a couple years ago, but I see they no longer carry it, or it's OOP. I suspect the former.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:36 pm

I've got two copies of Army of Darkness on DVD (Region 1)... It and The Matrix were the first two DVD's I owned... The second copy is an alternate ending/directors cut release. Not as good as the original, but the alternate ending was worth a peek. Have VHS copies of the Evil Dead 1 & 2... Never picked those up on DVD... wish I did.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:02 pm

SithTracy wrote:Have VHS copies of the Evil Dead 1 & 2... Never picked those up on DVD... wish I did.

Well you can still buy them. Here they are on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Evil-Dead-Betsy-B ... 610&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Evil-Dead-Special ... 610&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/Evil-Dead-Special ... 610&sr=8-6

It says you have to buy a Toshiba HD DVD player + the Star Trek Series 1 HD DVD release to qualify for the phaser remote. Are you willing to drop some $$$'s for a new player?
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:04 pm

Wesociety wrote:

It says you have to buy a Toshiba HD DVD player + the Star Trek Series 1 HD DVD release to qualify for the phaser remote. Are you willing to drop some $$$'s for a new player?

I saw that, I was hoping that my old receipt might work. If not, I'll just have to buy one (phaser remote) from ebay, or for that matter, if I can find a cheap XA2, I'd consider that too.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Anyone else looking forward to Transformers on HD-DVD next week? I missed it in the theatres :-? .
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Grain wrote:Anyone else looking forward to Transformers on HD-DVD next week? I missed it in the theatres :-? .

It's going to sound like sour grapes, but no. No I'm not. I don't even intend to get this on SD DVD. It was a visually awesome movie, but the more I think back to it, the more I find things I really didn't like about it.

I *AM* looking forward to picking up the original movie however :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:24 pm

I have the original movie 2 disc SE, but haven't got around to watching it yet, to be honest I've never seen it.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Grain wrote:Anyone else looking forward to Transformers on HD-DVD next week? I missed it in the theatres :-? .

I'll be buying it on DVD but not HD DVD yet. I still need to decide where I'm going to buy it from since each store seems to have their own exclusive promotion.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm seeing some neat tin boxes for the DVD, but nothing exclusive for the HD-DVD, have you seen some Ian?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:13 pm

Nope. Nothing for HD DVD yet.

Who's got a tin? I think Futureshop has one but its only in Canada.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am

Ian wrote:Who's got a tin? I think Futureshop has one but its only in Canada.

Yeah, Futureshop is going to have 2 tins, one with the Decepticons logo and "Destroy" on it, and one the Autobots logo with "Protect" on it, both 2 disc jobs, appear to be in limited supply.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Watched my Transformer's HD-DVD over the weekend, awesome!
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives