Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Samsung Adds Netflix Streaming To BD-P2500 And BD-P2550

Stand alone DVD and Blu-ray Disc players and recorders.

Samsung Adds Netflix Streaming To BD-P2500 And BD-P2550

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Move over LG BD300... the Samsung BD-P2500 and BD-P2550 can also stream Netflix movies over the internet. They're $100 cheaper too.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/News/netflix-and ... ayers.html

Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, and Samsung Electronics America, a market leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, today announced a broad partnership to offer consumers the ability to instantly stream movies and TV episodes from the Netflix Web site directly to their living rooms via Samsung's BD-P2500 and BD-P2550 Blu-ray disc players. The companies also said they are collaborating to enable Samsung to integrate instant streaming from Netflix into a range of home entertainment products.

The BD-P2550 and BD-P2500 are currently available at $399.99. Consumers who already own one of these Samsung players can upgrade their device at no additional cost to enable instant streaming from a growing library of more than 12,000 movies and television episodes from Netflix. The upgrade is available at http://www.samsung.com/bluraysupport.

Instantly streaming movies and TV episodes from Netflix on the BD-P2550 and BD-P2500 is done through a wired broadband connection and a Netflix Queue-based user interface. Netflix members visit the Netflix Web site to add movies and TV episodes to their individual instant Queues. Those choices will automatically be displayed on members' TVs and available to watch instantly through the Samsung players. Once selected, movies will begin playing in as little as 30 seconds. With the players' accompanying remote control, Netflix members will be able to browse and make selections right on the TV screen and also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they will have the option of fast-forwarding and rewinding the video stream.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Samsung Adds Netflix Streaming To BD-P2500 And BD-P2550

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:36 pm

The update for the BD-P2550 also adds support for BD-Live and music streaming from Pandora. Samsung will also be releasing another firmware update on October 30th that adds support for DTS-HD to the BD-P2500 and BD-P2550.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20081023005286/en

In addition to the content services, Samsung will provide a BD-Live update for the company’s BD-P2550. To heighten audio format options, a DTS-HD High Resolution firmware upgrade will also be available for both the BD-P2500 and BD-P2550 on October 30, giving consumers both superior sound plus incredibly sharp high-definition picture quality. Making the upgrade process a breeze is Samsung’s Auto Firmware Update feature. When connected to a home network, the player will now prompt users of new firmware as soon as it becomes available.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Samsung Adds Netflix Streaming To BD-P2500 And BD-P2550

Postby deinabog on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 am

I picked up the BD-P2550 yesterday. A local Best Buy had for $350. I flashed the firmware using the network connection and everything went well (althought the download was painfully slow). Since I don't have any Blu-ray movies I watched an episode of Babylon 5 to test the unit.

The image quality was very good (it's hooked up thru HDMI) as was the sound quality. The unit upscaled playback to 1080i automatically and the other default settings were sufficient. The unit does not support DVD+R/RW, HD-DVD, or DVD-RAM (I can't remember if DVD+R DL was listed) so you'll want to keep a DVD player around if you use any of that media. I'm happy the player overall; now I have to buy some Blu-ray movies to really test it out.
A man must have a code -Bunk
deinabog
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Players/Recorders