Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Who uses their burner..........

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Who uses their burner..........

Postby Dowdy on Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:54 am

who uses their burner to actually copy/ backup legal stuff. 'cause think about it, just about anything we copy is basically illegal - download programs off the net (full version, or shareware and getting the key off a cracks site), games, movies, mp3's (i'm sure that's something we've all done :lol: )

and who is actually worried by this legal crap anyways.
i'm not...as far as i'm concerned, the internet is an anarchist network - rules dont exist when you have no identity. you can be 1000 different people on the net and no one would ever know so i say if it feels good, do it :roll:

Dowdy
Buffer Underrun

Re: Who uses their burner..........

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:13 am

Dowdy wrote:who uses their burner to actually copy/ backup legal stuff.

I do. I use my CD-RW to back up the software I develop for work and to back up the digital photos I take and my email archives. I also copy audio CD's for my personal use in my car (where they tend to get scratched and otherwise damaged).

Dowdy wrote: 'cause think about it, just about anything we copy is basically illegal - download programs off the net (full version, or shareware and getting the key off a cracks site), games, movies, mp3's (i'm sure that's something we've all done :lol: )

Nope, I disagree. Not everything we all copy is basically illegal. I may be just one example, but I have not done any of the illegal acts you describe, including downloading mp3's - not a one.

Dowdy wrote:and who is actually worried by this legal crap anyways.
i'm not...as far as i'm concerned, the internet is an anarchist network - rules dont exist when you have no identity. you can be 1000 different people on the net and no one would ever know so i say if it feels good, do it :roll:

I really disagree. Personally, I don't worry quite as much as what is legal as what is ethical, but I do recognize the importance of rules in general for maintaining an orderly society for the benefit of everyone. If you truly lived in an anarchist world, you wouldn't be touting anarchy. When some thug breaks into your room and steals all your gear because it feels good to him, then come back again and tell me that rules are nothing but legal crap.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby blakerwry on Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:56 pm

I use my burner for legal purposes. I make backups of my system, important files, etc.

I use it for storage/transfer of assorted files... school, work, etc.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby Dowdy on Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:16 pm

you right cfitz, i wasn't thinking it from a professional point of view where you would use it for work, i was think more from a teenagers point of view

but i do still believe this is an anarchist network but i believe that common sense and social rules still apply

When some thug breaks into your room and steals all your gear because it feels good to him, then come back again and tell me that rules are nothing but legal crap.

we live in a world governed by law and i agree and obey to most of those laws but the internet is a place where no one can control your actions hence my opinion on an anarchist network

for the record : i don't believe in anarchy, i am just saying the internet is an anarchist network
Dowdy
Buffer Underrun

Postby skinfreak on Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:25 pm

I do both...naughty and nice ;)
skinfreak
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:19 am

Dowdy wrote:we live in a world governed by law and i agree and obey to most of those laws but the internet is a place where no one can control your actions hence my opinion on an anarchist network

for the record : i don't believe in anarchy, i am just saying the internet is an anarchist network

It is to a degree. But, keep in mind that the appearance of anarchy doesn't necessarily mean that the Internet is truly an anonymous place where one can do whatever he wishes, beyond the detection and control of any authorities. So be careful out there. Adults aren't as clueless and incompetent as you believe them to be. (No offense intended - I am saying this based on your indication that you are a teenager and your other post expressing disdain for the police in your area). I hate to say this, since I sound like my parents and it makes me feel old, but you still have a lot to experience and learn in this world. Although you may think you've already figured out everything, you haven't. (I haven't either, so don't take it personally.)

Finally, don't interpret my comments to mean that I'm advocating blind adherence to rules and laws simply because some authority has dictated them. There are plenty of examples throughout history where authority has been not only wrong but also evil. You need to respect others and the conventions of society, but you also must use your own moral compass and sense of ethics in determining what to do in any given situation.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: Who uses their burner..........

Postby Inertia on Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:21 am

Dowdy wrote:and who is actually worried by this legal crap anyways.

If you think that your activities are anonymous on the internet, read We Can Run, but We Can't Hide.

If your internet activities present enough of a problem that someone wants to get you, they can and will. :o
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Dowdy on Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:04 pm

If you think that your activities are anonymous on the internet, read We Can Run, but We Can't Hide.

If your internet activities present enough of a problem that someone wants to get you, they can and will.

i watched this show about 6 months ago about Echelon - the network which is part of the NSA and DSD (Australian version of NSA) which was all about Big Brother watching us. On the show they said if we use the word 'terrorist', 'bomb' etc on the phone or e-mail it automatically gets intercepted and recorded by echelon for analysis. So basically the film 'Enemy of the State' is very accurate.
So i already know that if someone want to get to me, they can but, am i worried? - Hell no!!!

I do have a firewall but all that can stop is a pimply face 13 year old try hard hacker. If someone really wanted to hack into my comp, they will so there is no point worring about something which has been going on for decades

When i said "you can be 1000 different people on the net and no one would ever know " i meant to the normal home internet user.
Dowdy
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion