Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Forums upgraded to phpBB 2.0.3

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

Postby Matt on Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:17 pm

Sorry I'm a little slow today. I see that cfitz already hit up automatic attempt.... try turning off the norton software and see what behavior is exhibited?
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:36 pm

cfitz wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:Automatically detect settings is checkmarked.
Ues automatic configuration script is unchecked.
Use a proxy server for your LAN is unchecked.

Try unchecking 'automatically detect settings', saving the settings, shutting down all open instances of IE, and then restarting it. If my suspicions are correct, this will disable the Norton web filter. You will start seeing pop-up ads and such again ( :( ), but your cache expiration issues will go away (hopefully). Anyway, it is worth a try since it is easy to do and undo.

tried this. didn't work.

cfitz wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:no web filtering program.
however using Norton Personal Firewall. could this be something to do with this?

Yes, it could. It does web filtering, meaning it is probably serving as a local proxy on your box. In IE select Tools->Internet Options, then open the "Connections" tab. Click the "Settings" and "LAN Settings" buttons and see if either shows any sort of proxy enabled.

Matt wrote:Sorry I'm a little slow today. I see that cfitz already hit up automatic attempt.... try turning off the norton software and see what behavior is exhibited?

diabled Norton Personal Firewall. didn't work.

added www.cdrlabs.com to the list of trusted computers in the Internet Zone Control of the Personal Firewall. didn't work.

any other suggestions?
well, if no, i can certainly live with this. it is just surprising, but a very small nuisance.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:55 pm

Hmm... running out of ideas. Do a Help->About and tell us what version of IE you are running.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:24 am

i'm using the IE that came with winXP (non SP1), i don't think i upgraded it or anyting.

Help -> About info:
Code: Select all
Version: 6.0.2600.0000.xpclnt_qfe.010827-1803
Cipher Strength: 128-bit
Product ID: ...
Update Versions:; Q321232;

OK, i apparently did update it with a "cumulative security patch" (bah)
see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;321232

but must have dont this a long time ago, this can't have anyting to do with the logout phenomenon, as it only started recently (forum upgrade).
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:48 am

dodecahedron wrote:i'm using the IE that came with winXP (non SP1), i don't think i upgraded it or anyting.

Help -> About info:
Update Versions:; Q321232;

Actually I was going to suggest upgrading if you hadn't, but you are already running a fairly recent build. Still, you might might to install IE 6 SP 1 and the subsequent security patches, just for the sake of safer browsing. However, I don't hold out hope that that will solve your problems.

Do I have it straight that the PC with the problem is at home and connects through your personal ISP while the PC's that don't have the problem are at school and connect through the schools' ISP?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:05 am

cfitz wrote:Actually I was going to suggest upgrading if you hadn't, but you are already running a fairly recent build. Still, you might might to install IE 6 SP 1 and the subsequent security patches, just for the sake of safer browsing. However, I don't hold out hope that that will solve your problems.

Do I have it straight that the PC with the problem is at home and connects through your personal ISP while the PC's that don't have the problem are at school and connect through the schools' ISP?

cfitz

thanks for the suggestion, cfitz.
i've already upgraded to the "August 2002, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (Q323759)", so now:
Update Versions:; Q321232; Q323759;

still no change, same as before.

the next update is IE6 SP1.
well, that anywhere between 11-25 MB, download on my 56K modem on a 45Kbps connection. no thank you very much :o :x

the PC where this is happening is my home PC, connencted through my ISP which is my University. the univ provides an ISP service for students and staff, which is cheaper than the commercial ones.
the other computers, where this doesn't happen, are in the (same) university and in another College where i teach.

oh well...
when i have time to sort out and arrange my comp a bit and backup everything properly, i'll fresh-install winXP SP1 after a after a format of the hard-drive and re-partition it.
till then i can live with this.

just that it is strange, and no one else has reported anything like this. :o
Last edited by dodecahedron on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:15 am

dodecahedron wrote:just that it is strange, and no one else has reported anything like this. :o

Actually, I experienced a similar problem with the older version of the forum software, but haven't seen it since the upgrade:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7012

I didn't even get a single bite on that one. :(

Maybe I should have posted in brash, obnoxious, expletive spewing, linguistically challenged mode - that seems to be getting a lot of responses for at least one person elsewhere in these forums. :roll:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:24 am

cfitz wrote:Actually, I experienced a similar problem with the older version of the forum software, but haven't seen it since the upgrade:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7012

I didn't even get a single bite on that one. :(

actually i've read that one (meant to let you know) but at the time i just couldn't understand what you were saying. maybe i was tired :o lol
i've re-read it now, clear.
i've never had that problem. did you have that problem all the time or just occasionally?
anyway i'm glad the forum upgrade solved it for you.
maybe my problem can be solved too by another forum upgrade! :wink:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:27 am

dodecahedron wrote:the PC where this is happening is my home PC, connencted through my ISP which is my University. the univ provides an ISP service for students and staff, which is cheaper than the commercial ones.
the other computers, where this doesn't happen, are in the (same) university ...

Well, if both the computers that work and those that don't are all using the same ISP, then it is unlikely that the problem is being caused by a proxy server belonging to the ISP. That would be good news, since it indicates the problem is with your local setup, and there is a chance it can be corrected. Unfortunately, I am out of ideas for now... :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:30 am

dodecahedron wrote:did you have that problem all the time or just occasionally?

It was pretty regular, but not all the time. I got into the habit of reading all the new threads, writing down the ones to which I wanted to reply, and then going back to reply after I finished all my reading. Ah, the labor saving wonder we call "computer"! :lol:

dodecahedron wrote:anyway i'm glad the forum upgrade solved it for you.
maybe my problem can be solved too by another forum upgrade! :wink:

Thanks. As for the upgrade, would that just move the problem to another user like it moved it from me to you? Sorry... :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:34 am

cfitz wrote:Well, if both the computers that work and those that don't are all using the same ISP, then it is unlikely that the problem is being caused by a proxy server belonging to the ISP. That would be good news, since it indicates the problem is with your local setup, and there is a chance it can be corrected. Unfortunately, I am out of ideas for now... :(

just my thoughts.
anyway, thanks for all your (attempts to) help.

cfitz wrote:Ah, the labor saving wonder we call "computer"!

yeah. i used to open up a window for each of the forums that had new posts, so i could see the new posts in red, and keep these windows open so that when the auto-logoff would happen i would still know which are the topics i haven't yet read. now that there is no auto-logoff i don't need to do that. much more convenient.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Matt on Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:48 pm

View unread posts is a life saver for me... although when I'm gone for a while it gets tedius to scan through all the crap like "What CRD_W DRIEVE TO BUY?!?!" PLZ HELP! BUMP BUMP"
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:15 pm

This forum isn't so bad for those types of questions.

I've seen far "stupider" questions elsewhere.

i.e.
"When I burn a CD, it doesn't work"

"Help me I can't burn a CD"

"Where can I get a copy of ..... without paying" even though the terms agreement forbids that.

?????
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby Matt on Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:44 pm

Terms of agreement..... Oh yeah! That thing everyone blindly signs their life away to when they click "I Accept."
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby socheat on Mon May 12, 2003 10:34 am

Locking this topic to start up a new "Forums upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4" thread.
socheat
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to Feedback and Help