Home News Reviews Forums Shop

In CD 3.51.61, Can't copy Files or Folders, CD is Read only.

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

In CD 3.51.61, Can't copy Files or Folders, CD is Read only.

Postby RichardHeaton on Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:51 pm

I just installed IN CD 3.51.61up. I have a tdk 24/10/40B.
When I use IN CD to format a TDK 4x CR-RW, format
completes and announces that the disk is ready to be
used as a floppy.

Then I attempt to copy and paste files to the drive in
Windows explorer I get the error message:

>Error Copying File or Folder<

"Cannot copy xxxx. Files on this CD-Rom drive are read only.
You cannot copy or move files to this CD-Rom Drive"

Windows 2000 SP3

Can anyone tell me where I am going astray? :cry:

Thanks in advance.

Richard Heaton
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:00 am

2 questions for you, Richard -

Did you make sure the disc label had no spaces or illegal characters?

Did you wait for the SysTray icon arrow to flip & turn green before trying to access the disc?

Also, FWIW, it seems on my system that immediately reformatting after an initial format may be a good idea. Takes only about 15 seconds for both (CD-MRW).

Daiwa :-?
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby RichardHeaton on Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:44 am

Daiwa,

Thanks for your response.
1. Label was/is Heaton_01
2. The In CD Icon's red arrow did not turn green or flip up.

I have attempted a second CD-RW and got the same results. The Nero Website lists users manuals for IN CD but when I attempt to access the page for veiwing or downloading in English or German, the pages come up unavailabe.

On the second attempt I placed the CD-RW in the TDK drive. It did not give me a choice of formatting options. I entered the label Heaton_01 and the Ic CD dialoge looked like it was formatting. The TDK's red light was on and the progress bar moved across the indicator window up to 59%, about 25 minutes, when it quit and went to "Scan RW disk & register all deffective sectors"

This went on for about 5 minutes and progressed through 100% on the indicator bar.

The bottom of the window displayed "Please repeat the formatting procedure once calcellation is" [sic]

The disc ejected and the window came up with the declaration, "InCD formatting was successful. You can now use the disc like a large floppy disc."

I reinserted the disk into the TDK. Other than a brief hourglass on the screen, nothing happened. The In CD icon remained with the down red arrow.

Windows explorer showed the disk with the name Heaton_01, 168 kb used, 0 bytes free. When I attempted to copy a file to the disk, I got the same error message as before.

I ran the format a second time, same result.

Any additional ideas? Is the Underscore an illegal character for Nero? :roll:

Thanks in advance.
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:45 pm

I just happened to do this, not because I particularly knew what I was doing:

As soon as I finished formatting (using the CD-MRW format) and after receiving the message about the disc being OK to use as a floppy now, I right-clicked the SysTray icon & formatted again, giving it the same name. Formatting in my case took only about 15 seconds in both cases. The SysTray arrow stayed red after each format. I then opened windows explorer and the SysTray icon arrow flipped & turned green & I could use the disc.

Third question: Did you have a Zip Drive installed at any time?

Daiwa :o :-?
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby RichardHeaton on Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:23 pm

Daiwa,

Well, I attempted two "back to back" "logical" format routines and left the Label the same. It did not apprear to change anything. Both formatts took about 5 minutes.

Opening Windows explorer again displayed the drive with the correct label and the 168kb used and no free space available but the InCD icon red arrow remained red.

I have a Jaz drive installed on one SCSI adapter along with a scanner. There are three harddrives on a second SCSI.

':cry:'
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:45 pm

Richard -

There are hints in many of the posts I've read, some heavy some subtle, that Iomega's drivers or IomegaWare may be involved in triggering some of the BSOD's & maybe some problems like you are having. It makes sense that many who now own burners once had or still have Zip or Jaz drives, so I would imagine the overlap is large. I can't tell you for sure if it will help, but I uninstalled my Zip (since, theoretically, I don't need it now that I have a burner) and removed all traces of Iomega software from my system/registry. Not enough time under my belt since doing so to say if that's the ticket, and the fact that you have SCSI drives puts you into a whole different category - I have no experience with them. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I guess Question #4 would be: did you ever have any other packet-writing software installed? If you do or did, cleaning that out might be worth a try.

Good luck.

Daiwa :o
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby RichardHeaton on Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:49 pm

Daiwa,

Thank you again for your assistance. I have kept the Jaz drive active in that I do have an inventory of the disk cartriges. I can uninstall the Iomega software and see if that makes a difference. My "InCD" failure is rock solid.

Yes about the other packet writing software. I had been using Roxio on my Win 98 system and had been pleased with it. This system is Win 2000 SP3 and when I tried Roxio on it, the results were awful. Even Roxio admitted that their software was non-functional on Win 2000 systems at that time. I switched to Nero and have been using it but not the CD-RW packet writing feature, In CD, until just now.

I only got one hit in the registery search for "Roxio". I deleted that one.

So, I am weary of it all right now. I've sent a message to Nero hoping for assistance from them. I'll post any results.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Richard
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:14 pm

Might try doing a Find in RegEdit for DirectCD as well, in case the installer set up separate keys for it. InCD is working fine on a Yamaha drive at work on Win2K SP3 as a shared network backup drive and on a Dell Combo DVD/CD-RW modular drive in my Inspiron 4000 notebook. I've only run into problems with a recently purchased Norcent CD-RW drive on my Win2K SP3 box at home. I think there must be some hardware issue in play as well.

Good luck. :-? :(
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby TCAS on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:29 am

InCD only works and is a platform for CD-RW disks and is not functioning adequately with CD-R diks. Try to formate a CD-RW disk with InCD and then try to copy and paste any file or folder in to the formated disk, I am sure you will be surprised.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:43 am

Been doing exactly that without any problems* - drag/drop files & folders to the CD-RW, no argument.

*Other than the BSOD's when I tried formatting with an "illegal" label.

Daiwa :)
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:48 pm

Richard:

1. The link to the InCD manual on Ahead's site

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/manual/InCD_ENG.ZIP

works right now (failed yesterday). The manual hasn't changed since August; i.e., it is outdated. Also to get some (again outdated) info, use Windows Explorer to call up Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.hlp and click Index, or anything else that's clickable (doesn't work in normal way).

2. Daiwa is right: cleaning the remnants of other packet-writers might help (but could be difficult unless you track the changes made by each software you install), the drivers for older external
storage devices (Zip, Jaz, etc.) needn't cooperate with InCD, and SCSI is a different world (e.g., apparently EasyWriteReader may cause a crash on 98SE with SCSI devices). However, serious driver conflicts would probably prevent InCD from running at all, which is not your case.

Now a couple of random remarks/suggestions which may or may not help you.

3. I've never checked if underscores are valid in labels; probably yes, but why don't you start without them? Keep it simple.

4. Why not use 10x or 12x media to reduce testing times? I bet Ahead's tests concentrate on faster media nowadays.

5. Maybe Daiwa's double formatting works, but I would try it as a last resort only. If you wish to reformat a disc, for safety first do Nero|Recorder|EraseReWritable|Full Erase.

6. Use the Properties|InCD Page Settings to check that the startup and RW mount messages are displayed.

7. What happens if a formatted disc is in your burner at boot time? Normally the InCD mounted message should appear.

8. What does Nero InfoTool|Configuration say about Autorun for your burner? My burner has Autorun on. Fighting with earlier versions of InCD and EasyWriteReader, I discovered different behaviors for on/off on my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives, so I'm now using Autorun on for both. BTW, I'm on XP Pro, and there are tons of confusing info on the web about Autorun/Autoplay; if you ever used any registry hacks or group policies, you may have trouble in getting it to work as desired.

Here is a "mini-guide" I sent to another guy; this is for Win XP SP1, InCD 3.51.61, Lite-On LTR-48125W VS08, Autorun on.

Formatting a CD-RW disc in InCD
A. Choose the standard CD-RW format or the CD-MRW (Mt. Rainier) format.

Right-click the InCD icon in the taskbar notification area near the clock, and select Properties. When the InCD Property Sheet pops up, select InCD Page Settings, and either check or uncheck the option "Format disc to CD-MRW" (if this option is missing, either your burner doesn't support CD-MRW, or InCD isn't installed properly). I leave the other two options (messages and Safe mode) unchecked. Close the sheet.

Alternatively, to call up the InCD Property Sheet, right-click your burner's icon in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

B. Insert a blank CD-RW disc into your writer. When the InCD Disc Information pops up, you may cancel it (nothing useful there). Right-click the taskbar InCD icon and select Format. When the InCD Wizard starts running, press Next, then select a drive if you have more than one, and click Next. If you wish to change the formatting options, click on Properties to access InCD Page Settings; otherwise click Next. Choose the Volume Label (no spaces!) and click Finish. Formatting proceeds in two stages, and displays progress information (which is not always consistent). Finally, you'll see the InCD message "The disc was mounted in InCD UDF file format", as indicated by the green N-W arrow on the InCD icon.

You reported a different behavior; could you check again? BTW, the above description is for CD-MRW; I don't remember if the disc ejects at the end of a non CD-MRW format.

As for using a previously formatted disc, on my box with Autorun on, after the disc is inserted, the arrow on the InCD icon flips from red S-E to green N-E, the InCD mounted message pops up, and Explorer show the disc contents, unless I press Shift when closing the tray.

Finally, always Eject from the InCD icon or Explorer; using the recorder's eject button may spoil the disc!

I gather you are still waiting for feedback from Ahead. In the meantime, you could check the points I mentioned. And make notes for yourself about what you see/change in troubleshooting; it pays off in the long run.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby RichardHeaton on Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:32 pm

KCK,

Thank you. Nothing from Nero yet!

1. I have the manual now and have looked at the help file.

2. I searched the registery again for Roxio and Adaptec and didn't find anything I could identify.

3 & 4 & 6. I tried a fresh CD-RW, still a 4x in that is all I have on hand just now, and left the default label name, InCD in place. There was no change in the outcome.

InCD recoginzed the disc and I was presneted with the UDF Packet Writing Software option page, InCD or Nero. I selected the InCD option and the formating process appeared to proceed as described in the manual. I got the "Formatting was successful. You can now use the disc like a large floppy disc."

When I re-inserted the disc, InCd did not recoginze the disc. Windows Explorer sees the disc and the label. When I look at the disc's properties, the file system is UDFRDR used space is 172,032 bytes and free space is zero bytes. InCD Page Settings show the TDK CRW241040B 57S2, Driver version 3.5.16.1 and InCD Detailed Settings do not have either option checked. This is not a Mount Rainier enabled unit.

I did notice that unlike stated in the manual, I do not have an entry for InCD in my Win 2000 Currently Installed Programs listings in the Control Panel.

5. I haven't tryed the "Full CD-RW Erase" yet but will do that next.

7. When I boot up the system with the "Formatted" CD-RW in the drive, InCD does not recoginze the disc.

8. Nero Info Tool: Nero Burning Rom 5,5,9,17.

Interesting enough, the Driver section identifies three Roxio dirvers being installed:
Cdr_2K v. 2.5(106)
Cdralw2K v. 1.00(1048)
UdfReadr v.5.02 (155)

DMA and Autorun are both "ON".

Well, that's all I have right now. I did un-install InCD via its own setup software and then re-installed it.

So far, nothing has changed the apparent problem. I suspect it will be something very simple once I get to the right area. I do wich Nero was able to be more responsive.

Thanks to all.
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:34 pm

Richard:

Well, it does seem that InCD behaves differently on our systems.

First, after disc insertion, you get the option "InCD or Nero"; I used to see it for ealier versions of Nero/InCD, but not with the latest ones.

Second, in my case formatting is followed immediately by mounting, whereas your "When I re-inserted the disc,..." implies that InCD ejected the disc once the formatting was done. I don't remember if I had to reinsert the disc for earlier versions of InCD.

Maybe the differences stem from our different OS-es.

It would be useful if some kind readers (Daiwa?) reported how InCD works on their Win2k boxes.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:45 pm

RichardHeaton wrote:8. Nero Info Tool: Nero Burning Rom 5,5,9,17.

Interesting enough, the Driver section identifies three Roxio dirvers being installed:
Cdr_2K v. 2.5(106)
Cdralw2K v. 1.00(1048)
UdfReadr v.5.02 (155)

UdfReadr v.5.02 (155) - this sound's like Roxio's (Direct CD's) UDF Reader (DirectCD version 5.02 (155) ). did you have DirectCD ever installed on the machine? or did you ever insert a DirectCD writted disc into this computer?
(DirectCD, when it formats a CDRW disc, it puts on it the UDF reader so that if you place the CD in a computer that does not have DircetCD it automatically installs the UDF Reader so that the disc can be read).

as mentioned before, packet writing programs do not (usually) coexist peacefully. maybe also the Roxio UDF Reader interferes with InCD's operations.

i suggest you try to remove this UDF Reader. can you find it in the Currently Installed Programs listings in the Control Panel? if so try to uninstall it. if not try to find it on the hard drive (i have no clue where to start looking for it. windows/system32 ???) and delete.
also search the registry for DirectCD and clean it up.

Daiwa wrote:Might try doing a Find in RegEdit for DirectCD as well, in case the installer set up separate keys for it.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:55 pm

dodecahedron is right; also look in windows\system32\drivers.

I should have been more explicit; I left it to potential win2k readers to comment on which drivers they see. I don't have a win2k box, and even on XP things are changing fast (SP1 extended UDF).

The infamous Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin for WMP 7.1 or 9 should also be mentioned (many threads on various boards).
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby RichardHeaton on Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:29 pm

Daiwa, KCK & Dodecahedron,

Well team, we are on the air and functioning with the upward pointing "Green" arrow! (':D')

Hers's what most probably fixed my problem. The Roxio UDF reader driver, udfreadr.sys, must have been the problem. I uninstalled the Adaptec UDF reader and the file was deleted. I also renamed the two other Roxio files, cdr4_2k.sys and cdralw2k.sys, all three are in the C:\WinNt\system32\drivers folder. (':oops:')

When I rebooted, I had lost both of my CD Rom drives. The InCD icon went yellow! I renamed the crd4_2k.sys and cdralw2k.sys back and rebooted.

I was then able to format one of the CD-RW discs that I have previously formatted and then "Full' erased. When the format completed I got the "Mount" CD dialog. (First time for that.) Okaying that produced the upward pointing "Green" arrow and we were good to go. I am able to read, write and delete from the disc and in general treat the disc just like a very big floppy.

The properties for the disc are now: File System: FS_UDF, Used Space: 49,152 bytes, Free space 560,070,656 bytes.

I'll try re-formatting the other two CD-RW discs and see how it goes.

The underscore in the label works just fine.

Later, I may try uninstalling "InCD" and then renaming the two other Roxio drivers. I'll then attempt a reinstall of the InCD software and see if Nero puts in it's own drivers.

Thank you for all the support and assistance. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Richard
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:49 pm

Thus InCD 3.51.61 behaves similarly on W2K and XP. What you saw before, i.e., disk ejection after formatting, was characteristic of earlier versions (I've checked the outdated InCD manual). Go figure.

I don't know how you got cdr4_2k.sys and cdralw2k.sys on your box, but the culprits are mentioned by name in the WMP Mini-FAQ

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

apparently a must-read for InCD users!

So beware of the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin for WMP 7.1 or 9!

On a more sober note, treat your discs like big floppies; you are probably old enough to remember how reliable floppies were (I used to keep my current data on two sets of floopies, and of course I had additional backup sets both at work and at home).
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby RichardHeaton on Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:51 am

KCK,

Hum, more to muck up the works. FYI, my first laptop didn't have a harddrive but was very well equipped with dual floppy drives.
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:13 am

Richard,

My first IBM portable also had only two 5.25" floppy drives in '85. But with MS-DOS 2.0(?) one didn't have to haunt for conflicting drivers!
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:57 am

RichardHeaton wrote:Daiwa, KCK & Dodecahedron,

Well team, we are on the air and functioning with the upward pointing "Green" arrow! (':D')

<snip snip>

Thank you for all the support and assistance. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Richard

you're welcome, glad to have been of assistance! :P 8)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

A little post-script

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:48 am

Richard -

Glad you're finally *burnin'*.

Much of what I've read, including (I think) some if the documentation that came with Nero/InCD, suggests that Autoinsert Notification should be disabled in order for InCD to work properly. FWIW. :)
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:42 pm

Daiwa:

Richard didn't tell us whether he had Autorun on on his W2K box, and I can't access a W2K box to check. On my XP SP1 box, I have Autorun on for my DVD-ROM and burner drives. Even if I press the Shift key while inserting a previously formatted InCD disc into my burner, I still get the InCD mounted message, and everything works fine. Hence maybe InCD could work also with Autorun off; I'm not going to try, since it is working OK for me now.

I believe Autoinsert Notification is a feature of Win95, 98, 98SE and ME only; it definitely disappeared in XP in favor of Autorun/Autoplay.

Thus I'm a bit suprised about your conclusion. Right now, there is little point in studing Ahead's documentation, since most of it is outdated.

Let's hope Ahead clarifies the InCD/Autoplay issue for XP soon.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:09 pm

I understand Win2K doesn't directly support enabling/disabling AutoInsert Notification, but there is a registry edit that will disable it:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
Change AutoRun String Value from 0x00000000 (1) to 0x00000000 (0)

Cheers. :)
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Daiwa on Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:13 pm

Forgive me - I'm using the terms AutoInsert Notification & AutoRun/AutoPlay interchangeably, although strictly speaking there is a difference. I think Win2K & XP differentiate between AutoPlay of a music CD and AutoRun of the Autorun.inf file of a data CD - the RegEdit affects the latter.
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:12 am

Daiwa wrote:HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
Change AutoRun String Value from 0x00000000 (1) to 0x00000000 (0)

i think you meant:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)