Home News Reviews Forums Shop

In CD 3.51.61, Can't copy Files or Folders, CD is Read only.

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby Daiwa on Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:59 am

Forgive me twice - that's correct. :oops: :o
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:12 am

Daiwa:

Please re-read my former post. It had nothing to do with _how_ to set Autorun to on; the question was _why_?

FYI, when I started on XP Pro, I tried using group policies to enable/disable Autorun, but this looked too complicated, so I ran the following autorun0.reg file to get Autorun off

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000000

If you replace the final 0 by 1, you'll get Autorun on.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:13 am

KCK-

The *why* is a mystery to me. I have AutoRun set to *off* on my Win2K boxes and (at the moment/so far) InCD is working properly. I ran across the reference to the regedit (recommending it be set to *off*) in another post while investigating problems with InCD BSOD's - can't remember now which one or whether it was 2 or 3 links removed. :-?
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:09 pm

Daiwa:

Maybe the latest InCD 3.51.61 is not really sensitive to Autorun under Win2K and XP (it shouldn't, otherwise I'd consider this a bug).

BTW, could you check if your Win2K boxes have the same Adaptec/Roxio drivers as reported by Richard? I.e., Cdr_2K.sys v2.5(106) and Cdralw2K v1.00(1048). This could help in future troubleshooting.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:14 pm

KCK-

Only one of the two files showed up on my system - Cdralw2k.sys - with a version number of 1.0.0.1030.

FWIW, WMP7 locks up every time I try to use it since installing my new drives (CD-RW & DVD/CD-ROM).

Can Cdralw2k.sys be removed/deleted? The install was silent about the Roxio driver, meaning I wasn't given the option of *not* installing it, during the WMP WindowsUpdate install (quite some time ago).

Thanks for the feedback and good information. It's appreciated.

Daiwa :)
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:17 pm

Well, it looks like you have all resolved your issues without any assistance from our Ahead Tech support team. Which is good, but bad that Richard did not get a response from his Emails sent to us. I will be checking up on that issue. Though we are behind in our responses by about 7 working days. :cry:

Below is the normal response to issue we have with InCD under W2K.

Regards,

Craig

This is normally caused by driver confclits. Please take the following steps.

1) Upgrade to the latest InCD from our web site at www.nero.com/en/download.htm

2) On some systems InCD will have trouble with Windows Media Player, becuase it uses an Adaptec driver that can conflict with InCD. To resolve this, go to your Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs
feature and click on "Change" and uninstall the Adaptec Driver Component only.

3) Make sure there are no programs running in the background before you try the format with InCD. And be sure to use Nero to do a full Erase on the CDRW media before you format.

4) Disable the "PowerSave" feature for your computer before formatting. THis may cause the recorder to disconnect during the format
and thereby causing InCD to error out.

5) If you are able to format the CDRW media, but after the format it fails to mount, or mounts but will not allow you to write to the CDRW as it reports 0MB of space available on the CD, this is caused 90% of the time by old firmware for your recorder. Or the below drivers. Locate the below drivers and rename to .bac extensions and reboot...

Cdudf.sys
Udfreadr.sys
dralvsd.sys
cdralwnt.sys
cdr4.dll in winNT\sytsm32
cdr4vsd.dll
cdral.dll

If this does not resolve your issue, we will need to know what drivers are loading on your system.
Please use the below process to obtain a list of these drivers, and send to us directly.

Please open a DOS-Box and change to the
WinNT\system32\drivers directory with the following command sequence:

cd \
cd %winbootdir%
cd system32
cd drivers
Please execute now the following command:
dir /o >c:\drivers.dir

You will see nothing on your screen but this command creates the file c:\drivers.dir

Please send me this file.
After that you can delete this file.

And if you have had any other mastering software installed in the past, or currenlty, such
as CD Creator, DirectCD, WinOnCD, PacketCD, etc. We need to know about it.
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:38 pm

2) On some systems InCD will have trouble with Windows Media Player, becuase it uses an Adaptec driver that can conflict with InCD. To resolve this, go to your Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs
feature and click on "Change" and uninstall the Adaptec Driver Component only.

When I go to the Add/Remove Programs applet & click the Change/Remove button for WMP7.1, I get no such option to uninstall the Adaptec Driver Component. There is a radio button that reads Remove Windows Media Player Components and a checkbox under that that reads Allow removal of shared components, but I'm reluctant to go past that screen, at least for now.

Daiwa :-?
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:20 am

Daiwa:

My reply was written yesterday, but then my ISP went down. I can't check WMP 7.1 on my 98SE box right now, yet in your case I wouldn't worry about uninstalling too many components, since WMP was not working for you anyway, and maybe a clean reinstallation would be better.

For general info on WMP versions and the infamous Adaptec/Roxio plugin, see

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

Definitely stay away from WMP 9.0 beta for now.

Are you running WMP 7.0 or 7.1? If 7.0, you could uninstall it and get 7.1 via Windows Update. To remove the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin, go to Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs, choose WMP, click Yes and then select the plugin from the menu (not very intuitive).

If you want to block WMP 7.1 or later (but not 7.0) from ever installing the Adaptec/Roxio CD-Burning Plug-in, you should run the adaptecblock.reg file, which contains the following lines

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup]
"AdaptecBlock"="1"

This will either create the AdaptecBlock keyword in the registry if it is missing (e.g., after a clean Windows installation), or change its value to 1 if it is already there.

If you install WMP 7.1 via Windows Update, you don't get any options on what to install (but the Adaptec/Roxio pluging isn't installed if AdaptecBlock=1).

So clean up your WMP, and tell us about Cdr_2K.sys and Cdralw2K again.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:07 am

CCampbell:

Thank you for indirect confirmation that Ahead Tech support team exists. I've been following this and other forums for a couple of months; yet I've never seen a message from anybody who got any feedback from that team (barring of course your own forum activity a couple of months ago and in the last days).

The Ahead Software Support Request Form is indeed a bright idea, since most users won't be able to fill it (with the Notes window failing to provide any hints most of the time) and thus the support team will get very few requests...

Your canned "normal response" should be included in the FAQ section on Ahead's site; the so-called Help System there is outdated and hence quite useless. Also such information should be available in the InCD Help (which incidentally doesn't work in 3.51.61).

These complaints are not addressed to you personally (we appreciate your presence in this forum), but you may transfer them to the support team.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:16 am

To be fair, Ahead tech support does usually respond, at least in my experience. Unfortunately they are invariably a day late and a dollar short. The few times I have submitted problems and reported bugs, I got replies about two weeks later, and those replies did not solve the problems or address the bugs. Perhaps the tech support is geared more towards operator error types of problems.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:16 am

cfitz:

I have no reason to be unfair to Ahead (I'm still using their products). But if your experience is typical, it could explain why there are few (if any) positive remarks about Ahead tech support in the forums. Well, I see little point in starting polls on various forums with a flame like "Does Ahead tech support exist?". In these days, one has to be happy with "passive" Web support via FAQs etc., but some bare minimum standards should be maintained. I don't want to go into details (too many!), but Ahead's website contains too much outdated information and is very badly organized. Well, maybe peeking at www.cendyne.com, www.roxio.com, www.tdk.com will finally give them some ideas... (These are just examples.)
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby RichardHeaton on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:26 pm

Daiwa, KCK & Dodecahedron,

Sorry to not get back to you-all sooner. My W2K system is set up with AutoRun "ON".

Additionally, in an earlier post I did reference one of the Roxio files incorrectly, I wrote it as "CDR_2k v. 2.5(106)" The file is actually "Cdr4_2K.sys"

I found two Knowledge Base articles in TechNet referencing porblems not all that different from what I faced here.

1. Q315345: "CD Recording Software will causeWindows to become Unstable"

2. Q165863: Trobleshooting "Stop 0x0A" (Inference on XP.)

Q315345 lists a detailed removal procedure for the three files right down into the registry.

As an informational item, I have not received a response from Ahead to my request for assistance from their technical support. I seem to sense a lot of displeasure with Roxio in these forms, and indeed they certainly had theri problems with W2K and Xp, BUT, they were always there and answered their tech support phone when I called.

Without you folks help, I would have remained in the deep woods for way too long with Ahead.

Thanks again for all your assisntance.

Richard
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:16 pm

Richard:

Thanks a lot for getting back to us with some useful info!

According to you and Daiwa, Autorun shouldn't matter for W2K, and my guess is the same for XP (CCampbell kept silent).

Regarding your Knowledge Board references, let me add that Q315345 refers to XP (but looks applicable to 2K), and Q165863 to NT/2K (its XP version Q314063 doesn't mention Adaptec/Roxio drivers, probably because WMP 8 is internal to XP). A further search reveals

3. Q271268: Problems Running Windows Media Player 7 and CD Kakumei Virtual or Microtest Virtual CD (W2K Pro; Cdr4_2k.sys removed)

where uninstalling Cdr4_2k.sys of the Adaptec plugin is mentioned, and

4. Q269605: Windows Media Player 7 File List for Build 7.00.00.1954

where all the Adaptec/Roxio Cdr*.* culprits are listed.

I guess the "normal response" of CCampbell above is quite wrong: even ignoring some typos (dralvsd?, sytsm32?), it seems to be intended for NT rather than W2K!

I feel strongly that it would be in Ahead's best interest to update and reorganize their FAQs. As for phone support, it might cost too much nowadays...

Thanks again for great feedback!
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:58 am

KCK, et al -

This has been a very helpful thread - thanks to all who've contributed.

As for my specific problem with WMP7.1 locking up since installing my drives, I want to be sure I understand your recommendation correctly, KCK:

1. Uninstall WMP 7.1.
2. Add this Key/StringValue to the Registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup]"AdaptecBlock"="1"
3. Re-install WMP 7.1 via WindowsUpdate.

Assuming that is correct, will uninstalling WMP 7.1 (Step 1) remove the offending file(s)?

Can I add the Registry Key manually or should I use the file you referred to (adaptecblock.reg)? If the latter, where would I locate adaptecblock.reg?

And there is one other potential toe-stubber: on my system, at least, both Media Player and Windows Media Player exist and are two different Windows programs with different interfaces. I think Media Player morphed to Windows Media Player with v7.0 (or maybe 6.1), but Windows didn't actually replace the prior version, just installed & defaulted to the new version. Both coexisted peacefully before my CD drive installs, so I don't think some incompatibility between them is a problem, but I do want to make sure I make the correct Registry edit - so we should be clear whether the key to create should reference Media Player or Windows Media Player.

Thanks again for everyone's help. :D
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:14 am

Daiwa:

Here are updated recommendations for your WMP 7.1 issue. The first step was checked on my 98SE box, where the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin had been removed earlier, but it should be similar on your W2K box.

1. Go to Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs and select WMP for removal. Check the radio button "Remove Widows Media components", and uncheck the box "Allow removal of shared components". Click Next and select the Adaptec plugin (after its removal, I can only see "Windows Media Player Skins", "Windows Media Player", "RCA Lyre Service..."). Now click OK as many times as needed, and reboot.

If you can't locate the Adaptec plugin at step 1 above, your WMP installation might be broken. You may proceed as shown in

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#rmadaptec

or simply remove WMP and reinstall it. Instead of using Windows Update, download the installer

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... S/mp71.exe

I heard that when mp71.exe is run, it does give you the option of not installing the Adaptec plugin.

The AdaptecBlock hack prevents MWP 7.1 or later from ever installing the Adaptec/Roxio CD-Burning Plug-in. If you employ it before running mp71.exe, maybe you won't even see the Adaptec burning option (but the plugin shouldn't be installed anyway); it's mostly used to prevent future updates of WMP from installing the plugin.

Anyway, to employ the AdaptecBlock hack, you may either download the file

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/adaptecblock.reg

and double-click on it (the file consists of the four lines given in my former message), or edit the registry. Don't worry about the placement of the AdaptecBlock key; it seems to be standard for all versions of WMP (I've just checked on XP).

As to how WMP 7.1 coexists with your earlier version, I can't say, but if you uninstall WMP 7.1 and the earlier version stops running,you could probably repair it; for details again see

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

For troubleshooting, you could monitor the Cdr*.sys files in WinNT\system32\drivers and Cdr*.dll in WinNT\system32 to see what happens after removal, reinstall, etc.

Good luck, and tell us about your results.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby RichardHeaton on Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:02 pm

All,

I have now received a response from Ahead Nero. The message and my response is pasted below:

Mike,

Thanks to you and Nero for getting back to me on this problem. I believe we have worked through the problem and I am now operational. I have not yet executed the procedure to remove the two remaining "Roxio" files, "Cdralw2K v. 1.00(1048)" and "Cdr4_2K v. 2.5(106)"

You can view what we went through on the CdrLabs website Form, "Ahead Software" at the two links:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... c&start=25

This seems to be a known problem which I suspect is causing considerable discomfort for many of your customers. Many PC manufacturers ship "Roxio" with there installed burners. Many Burner manufacturers will ship Ahead Nero with their new and upgrade procucts. The unfortunate conflicts would appear to be unavoidable.

It would help if your folks could make some of this information known.

Regards,

Richard Heaton

Message text written by INTERNET:mwoods@nero.com
>
Dear Customer try download the latest version of INCD version 35161 and
see if this will fix the problem if you have any question please
response back

Best Regards

Mike

Thanks again to everyone. I'll print this thread and keep it in my Burner binder.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Richard Heaton
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:45 pm

Richard:

No comment... Once Daiwa tames WMP, we'll be able to close the thread. :D
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:43 am

RichardHeaton wrote:I have now received a response from Ahead Nero.

>
response back

Best Regards

Mike

WOW :o
what a helpful reply from ahead.
especially considering that fact that in your letter to them you gave the URL of this very thread, which begins with the words:

RichardHeaton wrote:I just installed IN CD 3.51.61up.

ahead lives up to its reputation of slow and completely useless technical service support. :x :x :x
Last edited by dodecahedron on Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby EEG161 on Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:46 pm

I've been following this thread with some interest and have had similar experiences using InCD and DirectCD on W2K Pro SP3.

Currently, I have both installed and working almost perfectly. Almost because the only glitch is the InCD systray Icon not turning green when I finish formatting a CDRW. I can format a CDRW w/ InCD OK and it works fine, except that the Icon doesn't turn green and I don't get the pop box saying I can now use this CD like a floppy" etc....

I use a custom startup utility and neither app starts with Windows. When I want to use DCD or InCD, I just click on its Icon. If I want to switch to the other, I use Ctrl+Alt-Del's task manager to close the App, I then open the other.

I did a custom install of EZCD 5 Plat. and installed only DCD so I can use CDr's. I also have a ZIP 750 Mb. Ext. USB drive with Iomegaware v4.02.
So far so good. This setup has only worked on my Win2000 pro PC.
I get no such luck on WinME or Win98se. My burner is a Plextor PX-W4012a. Thanks for all the info. I couldn't find anything like this anywhere else.
EEG161
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:28 am

EEG161:

Your setup raises a couple of interesting questions.

If your InCD is 3.51.61, how do you know that the InCD initial formatting is finished? BTW, are you using CD-MRW (Mt. Rainier)?

Second, if your startup utility activates InCD and a previously formatted disc is inserted, do you see the InCD mounted message?

Third, could you describe your startup utility? Actually some people use InCD/DCD for infrequent backups only, and they would like to be able to start InCD/DCD and unload them as needed (I've heard that InCD can interfere with some network gaming).

Of course, killing InCD or DCD via Task Manager has nothing to do with initial loading of their basic drivers, which seem to be responsible for the usual conflicts. As for using InCD and DCD on the same box, your courage merits membership in the highly selective club of InCD/DCD users headed by Inertia; see

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7417

Well, I'm not bold enough to try both InCD and DCD on my 98SE boxes, so I can't help you there. Frankly, if I preferred CD-Rs to CD-RWs for backups, I'd probably switch to classical Multisession instead of packet writing, but I respect your preferences. :D
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:38 am

KCK -

I hope to have some info for you by the end of the weekend - I've been unable to spend any time getting WMP fixed, just too busy at the moment. I do plan to repost once I run through your suggestions.

Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Daiwa on Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:40 am

KCK -

I hope to have some info for you by the end of the weekend - I've been unable to spend any time getting WMP fixed, just too busy at the moment. I do plan to repost once I run through your suggestions.

Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby EEG161 on Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:45 pm

KCK;
I use a Custom Startup utility called Custom StartUP v2.02 from Goran Boban>http://gboban.hypermart.net/csup/
I tested quite a few of these custom startup managers and found CSU v2.02 to be the best for me. Anyway, How do I know the CDRW is finished formatting with InCD? A: When the progress indicator finishes, I know its formatted, or I use my other PC with Nero/InCD (no EZCD/DCD installed) to format my CDRW's.

When I call up InCD, the tray icon appears and then I start using the disk to drag/drop or copy/paste. I don't have to call up InCD though, the formatted CDRW works anyway. These are all standard CDRW's, not MRW's. My new Plextor is Mt. Rainier ready, we're just waiting for a firmware update from Plextor.

I've been thinking of uninstalling DCD and using Nero's ISO format for CDr's to make backups instead of DCD's packet writing. I've read that using ISO is better than packet writing. What I like about DCD, besides CDr capability, is that I can leave the CDr as is, then resume writing to it at another time. Is there a way to do this with Nero5 and CDr's? You mentioned using Multi-session, please elaborate
EEG161
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:51 am

To ALL:

The Autorun issue is more complicated. A user on another forum can get InCD 3.51.61 running on XP only with Autorun off (similarly with Autoinsert Notification off under 98SE) for Cendyne CW038D 1.20. So the "proper" setting of Autorun for InCD may depend on the burner, its firmware, IDE bus, etc. Until Ahead clarifies this issue, we can only auto-play with Autorun... :(

To EEG161:

Thanks for the info on Custom StartUP; might be useful in the future. Could you clarify how it works? Typical startup utilities work as follows. One selects a configuration either before rebooting, or at boot time, and the utility loads selected programs, their drivers, changes the registry, etc. Then, of course, one can't switch between configurations on the fly (without rebooting). But your writing implies something different. In particular, once you run DCD and kill DCD.exe via Task Manager, are you sure that when you call InCD there are no traces of DCD left in the environment?

I'm asking because your lack of the InCD mounted message after formatting could imply some interference from DCD, i.e., not really running InCD in its own "clean" environment, despite using Custom StartUP. BTW, do you have Autorun on or off?

My former question on InCD initial formatting pertains to CD-MRW only.

I use InCD for inessential backup only (sort of third layer, with local HD backup coming first). Here "backup" means I never delete data from my HD after copying it to an InCD disc. Further, I use FileSync from www.fileware.com not only to keep my backup up to date with minimal hassle, but also to make binary comparisons and to recopy files with differences (hardly ever). Thus I don't need multisession CDRs for backup; if you need more specific advice on multisession writing, I can only tell you to search this forum.
Last edited by KCK on Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby RichardHeaton on Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:14 am

All,

Well, Nero Tech Support has replyed to my email to them about how you all worked me throught the problem(s) I was having:

Dear Customer thank you for using Nero if you have any problem please
response back

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard W. Heaton, II [mailto:DickHeaton@compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 6:27 AM
To: INTERNET:mwoods@nero.com
Cc: Ian, CDR Labs
Subject: RE: Problems with In CD

Mike,

Thanks to you and Nero for getting back to me on this problem. I
believewe have worked through the problem and I am now operational. I have not yet executed the procedure to remove the two remaining "Roxio" files,
"Cdralw2K v. 1.00(1048)" and "Cdr4_2K v. 2.5(106)"

You can view what we went through on the CdrLabs website Form, "Ahead
Software" at the two links:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... c&start=25

This seems to be a known problem which I suspect is causing considerable
discomfort for many of your custopmers. Many PC manufacturers ship
"Roxio" with there packaged burners. Many more Burner manufacturers
willship Ahead Nero with their procucts. The unfortunate conflicts would
appear to be unavoidable.

It would help if your folks could make some of this information known.

Regards,

Richard Heaton

>
response back

Best Regards

Mike

>
Sender: mwoods@nero.com
Reply-To: <mwoods@nero.com>
To: "'Richard W. Heaton, II'" <DickHeaton@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: Problems with In CD
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:31:55 -0800
Organization: Ahead

I have just ordered the Sony DRU500X. That will have my system with the External Sony DVD and an IDE TDK 49/24/48B. This may not be the correct forum to ask the question, but what would you-all suggest for software to use for CD-R/RW as well as DVD-R(+R) DVD-RW/+RW writing et. al.

I am very dissapointed with Ahead and this latest response does not give me much hope they are about to come to our aid any time soon.

I long for the days of good performance and excellent tech support I got from Adaptec/Roxio, pre W2K. :roll:

Richard Heaton
RichardHeaton
Buffer Underrun

PreviousNext

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)