Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Need help with fried athlon (also with xabre400)

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Need help with fried athlon (also with xabre400)

Postby CignaXI on Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:00 pm

I was changing my cpu's heatsink with a better fan and by an idiotic thing I did I fried my Athlon XP 1600. Is there anyway I can check and be sure that the cpu is fried and it ain't the mobo?

I also was shopping arround for a gforce4 mx440 w/tv and found the new sis xabre 400. Does anyone has it and can tell me his experience with it. I basiclly just want a card with good tv-out and a descent gaming experience(runing on low budget with my cpu fried). I also heard they were having problems with the via chipset, anything on that? I have a kt266a.

Any link on were I can find cheap cpus will be a lot of help too.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby Tril- on Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:12 pm

Pull your HSF off, and examine the die of the CPU VERY CAREFULLY. If there are any chips in the die, you could have a dead CPU

but you should try pulling everything off the board pci, apg, whatevers everything cep for the cpu, ram to make sure it's really dead....

pricewatch.com

and i dunno nothing about the sis card
Tril-
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:59 pm

Newegg usually has the best prices on CPU's. The 1600+ is $57.88 with free shipping right now.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Derek on Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:28 pm

They were $49.99 a few days ago. You just missed them. But if you took the HSF off for a good ammount of time, good chances are the chip is fried. googlegear.com also has decent AthlonXP cpu prices.

Xabre400 is a good card for the budget. Do a search for a Xabre 400 review and many good sites will compare it to other cards like the GF4 MX.

Derek
Derek
CD-RW PiMP

Return to General Hardware Discussion