Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Direct CD without ECDC?

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

Direct CD without ECDC?

Postby WhoMe? on Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:33 pm

Do any of you experts know for sure whether DCD can be installed and updated for XP Pro SP1 by running the ECDC updater - without having it install any other crappy Roxio files?

I can't read CD-R's/DVD-R's after removing ECDC/DCD. Installed Roxio UDFReader to no avail.

Installed DCD from my ECDC 5 Plat disk but it didn't support my burners (which are supported by ECDC).

Before I goof, has anyone successfully installed and updated DCD and regained the ability to read DCD-formatted disks?

Thanks.
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:47 am

i blieve so.
since you have the Easy CD Creator/DirectCD installation CD, install DirectCD only, do not reboot, and then install the update to the latest version from roxio's website. then reboot.

Easy CD Creator 5.x.x Software Updates
and clock on the download link for the 5.3.2 update.
the updater is for both ECDC and DCD. if you install only DCD it should update it.

check out these threads:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6575
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8804

note: this is not from personal experience.
hopefully someone else with first hand experience will join in.
i wish Inertia was here :cry:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:55 am

dodecahedron wrote:i wish Inertia was here :cry:

Seconded.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Han on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:01 am

I can confirm that only DCD can be installed and also updated...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby WhoMe? on Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:43 pm

Wow! Thanks for the speedy replies, "Dode", cfitz and Han. When do you folks sleep?

I'm feeling cautiously confident now that I can get DCD to work. Will take the plunge later today, I think--right now roxio.com is offline for maintenance. Maybe Inertia will chime in meanwhile.

I previously downloaded ecdc update patch: ecdc_v5.3.2.34_basic_enu.exe

Anybody know if this is the latest one?

Also, can you tell me where to find the firmware v. for my burner? Found it once but don't remember where. I think it is not current, but assume it's not an issue, since it was working fine with DCD before I uninstalled ECDC. I've read more than one story of fw changes screwing things up, and "if it aint broke don't fix it," I hear.
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:14 pm

You have the latest update.

Firmware: and your burner is? :o (Try the firmware page.)
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby WhoMe? on Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:59 pm

Firmware: and your burner is? :o (Try the firmware page.)[/quote]

LTR-24102B
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:56 pm

Check the official site...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Status report

Postby WhoMe? on Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:44 pm

OK, here's my status. Why I didn't think of it before I don't know, but it occurred to me that my ECDC 5 Plat disk is considerably older than the applications disk that came with this box. Since DCD was initially working, before I applied the ECDC XP update, I did a custom install of DCD from that apps disk.

Now I'm able to again read the CD/DVD-R's (at least the several I've tested so far) that had been unreadable! :D

I haven't had time to play around with it too much, but I note some annomalies.

SOME CD/DVD's don't open in Explorer for about 45 seconds after insertion.

With the DVD-R, Explorer doesn't read the vol label - before the disk is inserted the drive is listed "DVD-RAM Drive (D:\) - after the disk is finally opened, the drive label is "CD-Drive (D:\).

I wonder why. Has anyone encountered a patch for this?

With the CD-RW, the vol label is correctly read in Explorer for the first CD inserted; with subsequent CD's Explorer continues to show the label for the first CD. However, rt-clk | properties does correctly show the current CD's vol label.

With both CD and DVD drives, autoplay starts, though I've selected "take no action" for the autoplay properties of both.

With some disks, when I click on a folder, it takes 30 - 45 seconds for the folder to open. On one DVD-R, when I clicked back in the tree, the cursor (but not the system) froze, and I could not eject the disk (rt click - eject).

I haven't applied the ECDC XP update, as I don't want ANY unnecessary Roxio files installed. Do you think that update could correct some of these issues.

Thanks a bunch for interest.
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:47 am

i still recommend that you apply the update.

and by the way: you say the update you have is ecdc_v5.3.2.34_basic_enu.exe
note that this is the update to ECDC 5 BASIC! whereas i gather you have the PLATINUM version of ECDC/DCD. so download the update to the platinum version.

at roxios website (right now as i type it is up) the current (most recent) update is ecdc_v5.3.2.34_plt_enu.exe
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby WhoMe? on Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:25 pm

i still recommend that you apply the update.

Thanks for the advice.

and by the way: you say the update you have is ecdc_v5.3.2.34_basic_enu.exe
note that this is the update to ECDC 5 BASIC! whereas i gather you have the PLATINUM version of ECDC/DCD. so download the update to the platinum version.

No, actually, the applications disk I referenced which came with the system is basic, so do you think I should still apply the platinum update? My directcd.exe properties shows the version as 5.1.0.121 - also shown as 5.10 (121) - so maybe someone can tell me if they have a newer version of DCD with their ECDC platinum verson?

Thanks, again, Dodecahedron and others for lending your help.
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:57 pm

WhoMe? wrote:No, actually, the applications disk I referenced which came with the system is basic, so do you think I should still apply the platinum update?

no!
if you have the basic version, use the basic updater (ecdc_v5.3.2.34_basic_enu.exe) not the platinum one.

WhoMe? wrote:Installed DCD from my ECDC 5 Plat disk

WhoMe? wrote:my ECDC 5 Plat disk is considerably older than the applications disk that came with this box.

WhoMe? wrote:actually, the applications disk I referenced which came with the system is basic

it doesn't really matter if you install an old version (the platinum disk) or a recent one (the application disk). the updaters bring everything to the same level - the newest.
so you can very well install the platinum version and update it (with the platinum updater, of course).

now, i've no clue as to what the difference is, if any at all (!! :o ), between platinum and basic DirectCD! anyone? Han?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby WhoMe? on Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:41 pm

now, i've no clue as to what the difference is, if any at all (!! :o ), between platinum and basic DirectCD! anyone? Han?

That was my point! For all I know the DCD included with platinum may have been different, thus the inquiry about version numbers. :-? And, if DCD can be updated independently of ECDC, why not update to a newer version?
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:39 am

the 5.10 (121) is probably a mis-read of 5.1.0.121. sometimes version numbers/subnumbers aren't reported correctly, and the figures (4 levels of version numbers) get garbled up.

it's not clear if the 5.1.0.121 is the basic or platinum DCD you have.
it doesn't really matter.

whatever version you have, either the basic or platinum, running the updater will update it to 5.3.2.34.

my point in the last post is that i don't know if the basic vs. paltinum are different at all or if so what the differences are. for example, the platinum ECDC is much enhanced over the basic, with many useful features. so in general if you have the platinum that is preferable to the basic. and having an older version of the platinum DCD than the basic DCD doesn't matter, as your'e going to update to the newest 5.3.2.34 anyway.

so i would recommend the platinum.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Han on Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:24 am

dodecahedron wrote:i've no clue as to what the difference is, if any at all (!! :o ), between platinum and basic DirectCD! anyone? Han?

I don't have the basic version of ECDC to compare its DirectCD with the one included in platinum edition, but I'm confident DirectCD doesn't differ between editions. The one included in WinOnCD Power Edition is identical to ECDC Platinum...

Therefore, the basic update shoud upgrade DirectCD to the exact same version as platinum update and a special DCD upgrade for WinOnCD.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:10 pm

Han wrote:...I'm confident DirectCD doesn't differ between editions.

that is what i had thought too...

still i think if you have the basic ECDC/DCD you should use the basic updater and if you have the platinum ECDC/DCD use the platinum updater. perhaps the updater checks what version you have, even if the two DCDs are identical.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:12 pm

well, WhoMe?, i hope you got all the help you needed. :D

please let us know how it went!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby WhoMe? on Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:37 pm

I'm making some progress, I think. Installed DCD basic, did not reboot and installed basic update referenced earlier. Have been able to read the DVD-R's and CD-R's tried so far, BUT disastrous results. Copying files from the cdr's to C:\, I copy a few successfully, then get error "the files cannot be read from the cd in drive e" and goes on to advise copying the files to another cd--rather impossible since the files can't be read! :(

OK the error msg and all the files on the CD except for 1 or 2 just disappear. In one instance, after 30 sec or so, many but not all of the files reappeared, I continued copying, and after a few copies ALL the files disappeared. In another instance, a cd full of files showed up in explorer with one folder named xxx.nbf - what is that?

These files were copied from my old Win98 SE cd, using an earlier version of DCD. I thought about putting a cd in the old machine and closing it "to read in any computer" to see if that works.

Unfortunately, my wife is using the old system and has deleted most of the files I had copied to cd. Maybe DCD on her old system could be updated, the files copied off the bad cd's and then copied back to new ones? Her machine has DCD 5.0, I believe. What version update would work on Win98?

All help is appreciated.
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:55 pm

WhoMe? wrote:These files were copied from my old Win98 SE cd, using an earlier version of DCD. I thought about putting a cd in the old machine and closing it "to read in any computer" to see if that works.

before "closing" the discs, which could irrevocably mess them up, you should read this thread:
All of my DCD backed-up files lost? Please help!
you will find it very informative and (hopefully) helpful for you.
there are many useful suggestions and links there for you.

WhoMe? wrote:Unfortunately, my wife is using the old system and has deleted most of the files I had copied to cd. Maybe DCD on her old system could be updated, the files copied off the bad cd's and then copied back to new ones? Her machine has DCD 5.0, I believe. What version update would work on Win98?

you can update that DCD with the same updater - the updater is good for all versions of windows, i believe.
yep - from the page i posted the link to previously:
roxio wrote:This web update is designed to update English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and Japanese versions of Easy CD Creator 5.x.x Platinum to version 5.3.2. It can be installed in Windows NT, 98, 2000, ME, and XP. It has a number of fixes and adds new drive support, including support for DVD -R/RW and DVD +R/RW. This update will install Windows XP specific drivers and make the necessary registry entries to allow Easy CD Creator to operate correctly in Windows XP.

good luck! :D
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby WhoMe? on Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:09 pm

dodecahedron wrote:before "closing" the discs, which could irrevocably mess them up, you should read this thread:
All of my DCD backed-up files lost? Please help!
you will find it very informative and (hopefully) helpful for you.
there are many useful suggestions and links there for you.

Thank you for that link. Checking into CDSpeed, I read about the CD quality test it does, and a lightbulb went on over my head! The media. I've had CD drives since they first hit the market, and all I ever had to to was put in a cd, take it out, put in another...several brands, never a problem.

I now discover that all the problem cd's, at least so far, are one brand, Maxell 650MB CD-R, and all of them were DCD-formatted on the old 98SE machine with a Sony drive. I've been checking a batch of other brands and am able to read and work with the files no problem.

I then checked the Lite-On site and found the compatible media info, and Maxell is not one of them. Then again, two of the other brands which are working fine are not on the list either.

I didn't realize the brand could make a difference, but I got my education now! This whole business sucks, as Maxell worked fine on my old system; and maybe all the data backed up to some other brand won't work on the next cd drive I acquire.

Anyway, I'm going to consider ISO Buster to see if I can salvage files off those Maxell's. Any other suggestion?

Forums like this are a great way to try to solve puzzles. I do appreciate all the help. Will try to post back later with an update.
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:00 pm

---
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:04 pm

well, media is definitely an issue.
however these memorex CDs worked fine on the old system.
perhaps it's a specific combination of media + writer (old system) + reader (new system) + DCD... :o

if a given media is not on the recommended list of a manufacturer, it does not mean it won't work well.
i suggest you look up the media compatibility thread and see what's good for your drive.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005

anyway:
i would suggest you upgrade the DCD on the old system like we discussed in previous posts, and read your DCD discs on the older system. then at least you have the files back on a hard drive. hopefully that will work. next you can re-burn the data to new CDs, on media you test for readability on other drives than the one you burnt it in - specifically test for readability in the new system where you want to put your data.

also i would suggest burning ISO instead of DCD as discussed in the other thread - more reliable.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

help, i'm in the doghouse now!!

Postby WhoMe? on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:23 am

dodecahedron wrote:anyway: i would suggest you upgrade the DCD on the old system like we discussed in previous posts, and read your DCD discs on the older system. then at least you have the files back on a hard drive. hopefully that will work. next you can re-burn the data to new CDs, on media you test for readability on other drives than the one you burnt it in - specifically test for readability in the new system where you want to put your data.

Need some quick tips to "fix" my wife's puter!

I upgraded ECDC/DCD 5.0 plt on her box and read one "bad" CD-R OK and copied entire contents to C:\. Afterward, the CD would not eject, via DCD ("eject" grayed out). Powered down and tried the pin-hole manual eject, to no avail. Rebooted and ejected CD before Win98SE loaded. Still can't eject otherwise.

Here's the sequence of my actions:

downloaded ECDC update ecdc_v5.3.2.34_plt_enu.exe
exported registry
uninstalled another burner (audio converter) and Real Player + components
reboot
msconfig - created backup of config - set up clean boot
installed ECDC update
reboot
msconfig - restored backup of original config
opened DCD - ejected CD tray via DCD
inserted the "bad" CD
CD read OK - copied all files to C:\
CD will not eject via DCD or otherwise

1. what are the probable causes?

2. what's my best strategy for correcting?

Maybe I should uninstall ECDC and import the registry backup file I had saved?
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:28 am

hmm...keeps getting more and more difficult, ha?

one good thing, you managed to "recover" on CD's content onto the hard drive of the old computer.
so first of all, burn this data to a new CD, a regular burn (ISO data CD, no packet writing) just to be sure you have a backup.

since updating DCD on the old computer was not a total success, maybe an uninstall and reinstall of DCD will help. maybe also just uninstall DCD, do not reinstall DCD but instead try the UDFReader? (i gather you already tried it on the new system, not the old one, right?)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby WhoMe? on Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:51 pm

dodecahedron wrote:since updating DCD on the old computer was not a total success, maybe an uninstall and reinstall of DCD will help. maybe also just uninstall DCD, do not reinstall DCD but instead try the UDFReader? (i gather you already tried it on the new system, not the old one, right?)

Haven't tried UDFreader yet, but it will just work to see the files, right, you can't copy files from the CD?

There's no removing DCD alone, just the whole ECDC package. I did find, though, an option to 'repair' the app and tried that, and immediately after restart pressing the eject button worked. I put in another CD and the same thing occurred--couldn't eject by any means.

I removed ECDC but will have to reinstall it for the little woman! I have directions for clean uninstall AND reinstall for XP but not for UNINSTALLING 98SE. Among the other things to remove, maybe you know...

1. do I delete prog files\common files\adaptec\shared folder, or is this a no no for 98SE?

2. Hkey_classes_root - there's several adaptec keys - should they be removed?

3. delete any of these that are found?:

cdrtc.dll
cdral.dll
cdr4dll.dll
cdr4vsd.vxd
apix.vxd
scsi1hlp.vxd
necatapi.vxd
atapchng.vxd
torisan3.vxd

Thanks, again, for your patience and assist. Wish I'd never heard of Roxio. Hope I can get her puter straightened out fast. Gotta go now and make up the sofa bed for tonight! :cry:
WhoMe?
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to Sonic Solutions and Roxio