Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Displaying actual write speed with Nero ?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Displaying actual write speed with Nero ?

Postby eBast on Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:41 pm

Hi all,

I had read somewhere in some forum that changing some registry value from 0 to 1 will make Nero display the actual write speed in the burn window instead of the speed that we set it to.... In this way we can see the actual speed increase i.e it starts writing at 12x and speed is increased all the way to 40x. I had it done earlier, now reinstalled XP.... if some one out there know how it is done please answer..... :wink:

Thanks
eBast
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:57 pm

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder\ShowSingleRecorderSpeed

Set it to 1.

Sometimes it doesn't take. If it doesn't, try burning a disc or simulating a burn, and then set it again while Nero is still running.

Make sure you set the value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Setting it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will cause the values to reset to 0 in both hives whenever you run Nero and prevent the speed from displaying in real time.

cfitz

<edit>
Removed erroneous suggestion to change the value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well.
</edit>
<edit>
Added an explicit warning about setting the value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
</edit>
Last edited by cfitz on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby eBast on Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:10 pm

thanks for the reply........... :D

it works
eBast
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:02 am

You're welcome.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Rpbertxyz on Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:04 am

I've been trying for 3 days now, and it just doesn't seem to stick. Anything special that will make it work.

Thank You Bob H.
Rpbertxyz
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:22 am

For those who don't want to edit their registry manually, open up a text editor and copy and paste the following:

Code: Select all
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder]
"ShowSingleRecorderSpeed"=dword:00000001

Save the file with the name "showspeed.reg", and then double-click the file to enter the information into your registry.

cfitz

<edit>
Removed erroneous entry that changed the value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well, and deleted request to let me know if it works (beacause it does work)
</edit>
Last edited by cfitz on Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Rpbertxyz on Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:14 pm

Did the registry thing and it updated registry just fine. I have a Sony 500AX and it seems as soon as I go to write, the registry goes back to zeros. I do know that this works, because I had a Plextor before the Sony and it worked all the time.

Thank You Bob H.
Rpbertxyz
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:09 am

here is the original thread:
Next tip: displaying the real burning-speed in Nero
read it.
some people say it doesn't work for them. just what you describe - gets changed back to 0.

<sigh> another FAQ i really should make... :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:47 am

dodecahedron wrote:some people say it doesn't work for them. just what you describe - gets changed back to 0.

I'm one of those people. :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:55 am

cfitz wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:some people say it doesn't work for them. just what you describe - gets changed back to 0.

I'm one of those people. :(

cfitz

:( :cry:
too bad mate...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:15 am

I'm another one of those people that this trick doesn't work for. The value keeps returning back to 0 for me too.

TDK 48x24x48
Windows XP Home
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:01 am

It works for me 8)
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:56 am

It has been working for me since day one, even after reformating gone through the process of replacing figure o to 1 still anticipated no problem having real burning speed working and being displayed..
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:37 am

For those whom it doesn't seem to work, maybe you should restart the computer after changing the value?

Just a guess. I haven't tried changing mine yet, but I know that for certain reg values to "take", the computer must be restarted.

EDIT: Just entered both reg values using Notepad. Restarted computer. Both values are 1.
I have a TDK 48x24x48 (LTR 48246S) /END EDIT
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby Rpbertxyz on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:31 pm

I get it to show the one's after rebooting, but as soon as I start Nero, it goes immediately back to zeros.
Rpbertxyz
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wedge Maniac on Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:46 pm

Yeah, same here. Just did a burn of an .iso and it reset the values to 0.

Maybe somebody will find a solution....
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby Joker on Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:03 pm

Wedge Maniac wrote:For those whom it doesn't seem to work, maybe you should restart the computer after changing the value?

No good. Still goes back to 0 and wipes out the change.

Joker
Joker
CD-RW Thug

Postby Wedge Maniac on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:46 am

Are we talking about Nero Burning Rom or Nero Express? Or, does it even make a difference? I'm using Nero Express that came bundled.
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:45 pm

For those who are unable to get this feature to work, please send a request to me at techsupport4@nero.com and ask for me to send you the Registry patch. For some reason, the patch I have seems to work for 99% of users.

I believe cfitz has already attempted using my Registry patch and it failed to work for him.

I agree with cfitz though, that this should not maky any difference. And in most cases it does not. But I had one computer while at the COMDEX show that would not take no matter how many times I edited the registry. But for some reason creating the patch worked for me.

Anyway, can't hurt to give it a try. :lol:

Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:33 pm

Just emailed them. I want to encourage others to follow through as well.
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby Rpbertxyz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:11 pm

Got the patch from Craig and it worked. From what I could tell, the reason it didn't work was because I was putting a one in the HKEY_LOCAL_Machine and in the User also. The patch that Craig gave me only does the HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Let Craig know if it works for you.

Bob H.
Rpbertxyz
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wedge Maniac on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:51 pm

Cool....I recieved that patch too and it stuck this time. However, I have run a few simulations and see only the speed that I choose before burning. Does this not work in simulation mode?
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:54 pm

Hmm..........I think this thread answers my queston:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4862

Am I correct in my interpretation that simulation WILL NOT show the actual burn speed?
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:37 pm

Rpbertxyz wrote:Got the patch from Craig and it worked. From what I could tell, the reason it didn't work was because I was putting a one in the HKEY_LOCAL_Machine and in the User also. The patch that Craig gave me only does the HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

That does seem to be the key (no pun intended). Anyway, it is also working on my machine now.

It is strange. When the original tip was first posted quite some time ago, it only directed you to change the value under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive. But that didn't work for me at the time, so I tried setting the value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well, thinking maybe that the 0 in the HKLM was getting copied over to HKCU, and thus changing the 1 in HKCU back to 0. And now it turns out that setting the HKLM value was the wrong thing to do, and apparently causes both values to be reset to 0. :-?

I don't know what has changed since I first tried the tip and just entered the value in HKCU and it still got reset to 0. I'm using a newer version of Nero, that is for sure. I also have an additional CD-RW drive in the system now (a LiteOn in addition to my original Yamaha). And maybe I wasn't patient enough. Even today the first time I changed the value it got reset. But I hadn't burned anything before I changed it today, and some people have reported that you need to burn (or at least simulate) a disc first before it will hold. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that I must constantly change my serial number in able to use my OEM copies of Nero on both drives, and sometimes that seems to cause Nero to recognize the CD-RW as a new drive and write a new entry to the Recorders key. Who knows? At least it is working now. I will update my earlier posts to eliminate the suggestions to change the HKLM value.

By the way, I didn't need to enter the value via the file. I was able to edit the value manually and it still held, after I got the HKLM stuff straightened out.

Thanks all.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:39 pm

Wedge Maniac wrote:Cool....I recieved that patch too and it stuck this time. However, I have run a few simulations and see only the speed that I choose before burning. Does this not work in simulation mode?

It works in simulation mode on my machine ( now that it works at all :wink: ). Are you giving it enough time? When you first start a burn and the drive is writing the lead-in, the displayed value remains fixed at the selected burn speed. Only when the actual data tracks are being written does it switch to the instantaneous burn speed.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)