Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Installation problems with Liteon LTR-52246S..52x24x52,,,,

Burn baby burn!

Installation problems with Liteon LTR-52246S..52x24x52,,,,

Postby coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:13 am

Ok, guys, bear with me please, as I am an admitted "novice" at this type of operation. Last week, I did install a cd/rw drive into my sons computer, it was relatively easy, just unhooked his cd/r he had installed, removed old drive, installed new drive, re-connected wires, rebooted computer, and new device was recognized,no problem. So this week, after reading Ian's review on the "Lite-on" I purchased it and started to install it today. On my present computer I have a cd rom, tape backup, and floppy drive, plus the hard drive. I never use the tape backup, so I removed it to install the cd/rw in its place,,no problem, fit fine. But the hooking up the IDE cable is where Im having problems. The present cd drive has an 80 pin IDE cable, with only one female end(for the present cd drive) The IDE cable from the tape backup is 40 pin, which also runs to my hard drive. I think I read where this wasnt the best hookup(inline with the hard drive)but thats the way I have to do it, until I get to a city where I can purchase another IDE cable. Anyway, the tape drive was set to the slave position, so I set the cd/rw to the slave position also, hooked up power and audio cables, and rebooted computer. Screen comes up indicating IDE Primary Master is Quantom fireball(my hard drive),IDE Primary Slave is Lite-On 52246S(which is correct(I assume?)), IDE Secondary Master is none, and IDE Secondary Slave is none. Then continues to try and boot into windows. Then I recieve error screen saying windows cannot re-boot for some reason(sorry cant remember) and to reboot computer. After trying again, it directs me to reboot in "safe mode", to try and correct the error. So,,any ideas what Im supposed to do? Im using Windows 98. Thanks for any help you all may offer!
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

added info,,that might help you all out with your diagnosis.

Postby coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:31 am

error message I recieve is "Windows protection error; you need to reboot your computer". I am using a 400mhz computer. When the start up screen that has all the computer "info" on it comes up,,this is part of what it says...PRI MASTER DISC: LBA:UDMA2,8455m
PRI MASTER DISC: CDROM,UDMA 2

I never see anything recognizing the original cdrom that is still installed, although it is on another board that is plugged into the motherboard, not the same place where the other IDE cables go. Hopefully this additional information will help you all, in fact, help me. Im about 50 miles from Wichita Kansas, so thats where I would have to go to pick up another IDE cable if I need it, so thats really no problem(ahh the joys of country living)
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:35 am

First of all, write down the error message and report it to us. Error messages are very important when attempting to debug problems, even if they don't always lead to the solution directly.

Second, your tape drive may have some specialized drivers associated with it that are malfunctioning when they can't find the tape drive and are then causing Windows to fail as it boots. Try booting into safe mode, and see if the CD-ROM and CD-RW are recognized. If so, then use the device manager to uninstall any drivers associated with the tape drive.

If booting into safe mode doesn't work, then try removing the CD-RW and reinstalling the tape drive, booting, and removing the tape drive drivers while the tape drive is physically in the machine. Then shut down the computer, remove the tape drive physically, and reboot without either the tape drive or the CD-RW.

If that goes okay, then put the CD-RW back in, and try booting again.

That should be enough to get you started. Be sure to write down everything you do and any error messages you get so you can report back.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: added info,,that might help you all out with your diagno

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:38 am

coadman wrote:PRI MASTER DISC: LBA:UDMA2,8455m
PRI MASTER DISC: CDROM,UDMA 2

Both say primary master? I guess then that the second one is, in fact the original CD-ROM that is attached to the second IDE controller card to which you referred in your second post. Why? Because there can't be two primary masters on a single IDE interface.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:45 am

By the way, I assume when you say "80 pin connector", what you really mean is 80 wire cable. There is no such thing as an 80-pin IDE connector. If you really have an 80-pin connector, then you have something else going on in there.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

more info

Postby coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:54 am

I went into device manager, then properties, and this is what I had,,,under cd rom, there were 3 lisitings, CREATIVE CD 5233E-N,,,MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-587,,,SONY CD-ROM CDU-55S. Then on down where the diskdrives are listed, these are whats there,,,CF/ATA READER,,,GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47,,,GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 80,,,GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK,,,IOMEGAZIP 100,,,SM READER. That is all the pertinent information I think is revealed, does that tell you anything, or what else or where else should I look? I can probably delete the Iomegazip100, as I know that is the zip drive.
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:58 am

You have three CD-ROMs listed? None of which is the LiteOn? Which one is the original CD-ROM?

More importantly, what about the tape drive? It's the tape drive that you want to remove.

Are those listings what are showing up when booted in safe mode, or when the tape drive is back in the machine and booted normally?

Who made your tape drive? What is the brand and model number?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

my bad!!!

Postby coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:00 am

typing error,,,,,,first is PRI MASTER: LBA:UDMA2,8455M
second is PRI SLAVE:CDROM,UDMA2
sorry for any confusion.
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

Postby coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:13 am

cfitz wrote:You have three CD-ROMs listed? None of which is the LiteOn? Which one is the original CD-ROM?

More importantly, what about the tape drive? It's the tape drive that you want to remove.

Are those listings what are showing up when booted in safe mode, or when the tape drive is back in the machine and booted normally?

Who made your tape drive? What is the brand and model number?

cfitz

I cant tell what the original cd rom is(I still have the sides off, and can't see any id or serial # or such on the back of the cdrom,,I could take the screws out and slide it out, if that would help with identification? Also the tape backup zip drive is the iomega. These show up when booted in safe mode,,I havent tried reinstalling the tape drive yet,,should I do that ,or just delete the iomega zip drive?
thanks,
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:38 am

What's important is that you can identify the tape drive in the device manager.

I'd say you have a couple of approaches to choose from. If you want to swing for the bleachers, leave the system as is (with the CD-RW physically installed and connected) and try removing the tape drive drivers via the device manager. Then reboot and, if you are lucky, all will be well.

If you want to take a slightly more methodical approach, change only one variable at a time. Start by removing the CD-RW and putting back the tape drive, restoring your system to its original state. See if you can then boot without problems like you used to be able to. Then physically remove the tape drive (without removing the drivers), do not install the CD-RW, and boot. If you get the same error, then you have confirmed the source of the problem as the absence of the tape drive rather than the presence of the CD-RW. At this point you would remove the tape drive drivers via device manager, and boot again, still without the CD-RW. If this works, then install the CD-RW and boot yet again.

If at any point in this procedure things don't go as hoped, then you have to regroup. But at least you will have some data with which to plan your next move.

Your choice. I'm signing off for tonight, but will check in tomorrow to see how you made out.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

my home run swing apparantly went "foul"..

Postby coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:01 am

cfitz wrote:What's important is that you can identify the tape drive in the device manager.

I'd say you have a couple of approaches to choose from. If you want to swing for the bleachers, leave the system as is (with the CD-RW physically installed and connected) and try removing the tape drive drivers via the device manager. Then reboot and, if you are lucky, all will be well.

If you want to take a slightly more methodical approach, change only one variable at a time. Start by removing the CD-RW and putting back the tape drive, restoring your system to its original state. See if you can then boot without problems like you used to be able to. Then physically remove the tape drive (without removing the drivers), do not install the CD-RW, and boot. If you get the same error, then you have confirmed the source of the problem as the absence of the tape drive rather than the presence of the CD-RW. At this point you would remove the tape drive drivers via device manager, and boot again, still without the CD-RW. If this works, then install the CD-RW and boot yet again.

If at any point in this procedure things don't go as hoped, then you have to regroup. But at least you will have some data with which to plan your next move.

Your choice. I'm signing off for tonight, but will check in tomorrow to see how you made out.

cfitz

I decided to uninstall/delete the zip drive in its entireity. This I did, rebooted, same results, and same message. So then, I unhooked cd/rw drive, and rehooked up to the zip drive. Rebooted same message, same results,,,I kind of expected to get a message saying "device not located" or something to that effect, but same-o,same-o, as before. I guess I will unhook the zip drive also, and see what happens,,but its got me beat. I am currantly writing all of this on my sons computer(thank goodness he had one). I did already install the Nero software, but never rebooted as required,until I had installed the cd/rw(at least I dont think I rebooted at that time,,its been a long evening) Anyway, thanks for the help tonight,,I'll play around with it a bit longer, dont think it will do me any good, but it bothers me I cant make it work, so I probably couldnt get right to sleep anyway. Perhaps you can come up with some other ideas tomorrow?
thanks for your efforts this evening!
coadman
coadman
CD-RW Thug

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:31 am

Coadman,

Try checking the website of the tape drive manufacturer or for the software the tapedrive uses. There might be special instructions on removing drivers.

I encountered this situation with a friend's Norton Antivirus and when I used Apple's Quicktime.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

more information(after "finally" regaining posting

Postby 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:43 am

Odd, I had to re-register this morning, to be able to post, thought something was wrong with the board, who knows...Action Jackson,,I will search for the website of the tape/zip drive, and see if I come up with anything, thanks,,,,now,for more of my story. I was unable to boot up computer, except for "safe mode", until I did "THIS". Disconnected IDE cable going to my existing cdrom. Keep in mind, I had only disconnected this cable once, to check the pin count(incidentally, it is a 50 pin, I think I had "guessed" before it was an 80). When I found out the cable would not fit my new 40 pin, Lite-on cd/rw, I immediately hooked it back up. Anyway, after disconnecting the existing cd rom, I was able to boot up the computer like normal. Although It seemed it ran, slower than normal, and my mouse operation was rather slow responsive, jerky at times. So thats where I'm at now, The old cd rom drive disconnected, but my new cd/rw drive is connected, via the IDE cable which is also connected to my hard drive. I havent tried to see if the cd/rw will function or not(scared, I guess, until I see if you all have any suggestions), but it IS recognized now when I go to device manager. At least I am able to get into this forum using my computer and not my sons, but things aren't running smoothly, to say the least.
thanks,
coadman
1coadman
Buffer Underrun

Re: more information(after "finally" regaining pos

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:09 pm

1coadman wrote:Disconnected IDE cable going to my existing cdrom. Keep in mind, I had only disconnected this cable once, to check the pin count(incidentally, it is a 50 pin, I think I had "guessed" before it was an 80). When I found out the cable would not fit my new 40 pin, Lite-on cd/rw, I immediately hooked it back up.

50 pins? It certainly isn't IDE, not with 50 pins. It must be a SCSI CD-ROM, and that extra adapter card must be a SCSI adapter. That's a surprise! :o A SCSI CD-ROM in a desktop like yours is certainly not expected. Did you purchase the CD-ROM and adapter card separately? Does SCSI ring a bell? What does device manager list for SCSI adapters?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:22 pm

Here is some information from Microsoft (it is specifically for 95, but should apply substantially to 98 as well):

This document provides complementary or late-breaking information to
supplement the Microsoft Windows 95 documentation.

[Q: I am installing Windows 95 from CD-ROM, and the system hangs on
the first boot. Why?]

The most likely reason is that there may be a real-mode and protected-
mode conflict with the CD-ROM driver, and Setup is unable to continue.
Try remarking out the CD-ROM drivers in Config.sys. If this doesn't
solve the problem, then try these troubleshooting procedures:

*Can you boot into Windows in Safe mode? If not, reinstall.

If you can:
- Create a Bootlog.txt file to see where it failed.
- Look for the Detcrash.log file. If it is present, the problem is
with hardware detection.
- Check Ios.ini and remark out the drivers that are loading in
Config.sys in case there is a problem with these protect-mode
drivers.
- Check device manager for any conflicts. Don't be afraid to remove
any device from here if you suspect it is the troublemaker.
- Change the display driver to standard VGA.
- Try the step-by-step boot.
- Rename Autoexec.bat and Config.sys so they don't load on the next
boot.

Copy System.cb to System.ini; very few drivers load here (not even the
mouse). If this solves the problem, check your System.ini for any
entries made by any third party applications; for example, Adobe Type
Manager.

I'm just guessing at this point, but it may be that since your old CD-ROM is a SCSI drive, the IDE CD-ROM driver was never installed in your system until you installed the new CD-RW drive. And at that point, perhaps, a conflict similar to that described above may have occurrred.

I'm jumping the gun a bit, but it may be that in the end the best course of action will be to remove the old CD-ROM drive, the SCSI adapter, and all associated drivers.

Could you physically pull out the old CD-ROM drive so that you can read the make and model information, and post it here? There is a chance that the new CD-RW has significantly higher read speeds than the CD-ROM and you would want to use the new CD-RW pretty much exclusively anyway. If so, tossing the CD-ROM might not be so painful.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: more information(after "finally" regaining pos

Postby 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:33 pm

cfitz wrote:
1coadman wrote:Disconnected IDE cable going to my existing cdrom. Keep in mind, I had only disconnected this cable once, to check the pin count(incidentally, it is a 50 pin, I think I had "guessed" before it was an 80). When I found out the cable would not fit my new 40 pin, Lite-on cd/rw, I immediately hooked it back up.

50 pins? It certainly isn't IDE, not with 50 pins. It must be a SCSI CD-ROM, and that extra adapter card must be a SCSI adapter. That's a surprise! :o A SCSI CD-ROM in a desktop like yours is certainly not expected. Did you purchase the CD-ROM and adapter card separately? Does SCSI ring a bell? What does device manager list for SCSI adapters?

cfitz

Yes, that does sound kind of familiar, and it was purchased separately a couple of years ago from the same place I purchased my computer, they did an upgrade at that time for me, and I had the cd rom and zipdrive added at that time. Under SCSI controllers in device manager there are 2 listings...Future Domain TMC850/M/MER/MEX SCSI Host Adapter,,and also UMAX UDIS-IS11 SCSI card(which I believe is my scanner as it is a umax)
coadman
1coadman
Buffer Underrun

Postby 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:44 pm

I'm just guessing at this point, but it may be that since your old CD-ROM is a SCSI drive, the IDE CD-ROM driver was never installed in your system until you installed the new CD-RW drive. And at that point, perhaps, a conflict similar to that described above may have occurrred.

I'm jumping the gun a bit, but it may be that in the end the best course of action will be to remove the old CD-ROM drive, the SCSI adapter, and all associated drivers.

Could you physically pull out the old CD-ROM drive so that you can read the make and model information, and post it here? There is a chance that the new CD-RW has significantly higher read speeds than the CD-ROM and you would want to use the new CD-RW pretty much exclusively anyway. If so, tossing the CD-ROM might not be so painful.

cfitz[/quote]
The old cd rom drive is a 20x, not the fastest(at least my sons always told me it was toooooo slow), so Im not opposed to removing it and all its "baggage". If I chose to do so, how would I look for drivers for it distincly, and uninstall? If it is as simple as removing cd drive, and removing scsi card, I think I can manage that. The only reason I was thinking of leaving it in was if I ever wanted to copy from one cd to another, but I think I read where you can do that by using your hard drive just as easily, is that correct? Thanks so much for all your help with dealing with this matter,,it is VERY much appreciated!!!
coadman
1coadman
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:57 pm

1coadman wrote:The old cd rom drive is a 20x, not the fastest(at least my sons always told me it was toooooo slow), so Im not opposed to removing it and all its "baggage".

Yeah, even though it is SCSI, your new 52x LiteOn ought to run rings around that CD-ROM.

1coadman wrote:The only reason I was thinking of leaving it in was if I ever wanted to copy from one cd to another, but I think I read where you can do that by using your hard drive just as easily, is that correct?

That is correct, assuming you have at least 700 MBytes free disc space. That is how I do all my copies. And with a 20x reader, you would only be able to burn on-the-fly (CD-ROM to CD-RW directly) at 16x or less, so copying to hard disc at 52x and then writing to CD-R at 52x is likely to be faster than an on-the-fly copy anyway (depending on how quickly you can open the drive tray and swap the blank CD-R for the source CD :wink: ).

1coadman wrote:If I chose to do so, how would I look for drivers for it distincly, and uninstall?

Remove the CD-ROM from device manager, remove the Future Domain SCSI adapter from device manager, then shut down the system. Physically remove the CD-ROM and adapter card. Restart the system, and check for problems. You might want to check your autoexec.bat and config.sys files at this point as well, to see if anything needs to be manually removed from them. Feel free to post their contents so we can have a look.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:08 pm

Remove the CD-ROM from device manager, remove the Future Domain SCSI adapter from device manager, then shut down the system. Physically remove the CD-ROM and adapter card. Restart the system, and check for problems. You might want to check your autoexec.bat and config.sys files at this point as well, to see if anything needs to be manually removed from them. Feel free to post their contents so we can have a look.

cfitz[/quote]
Ok, I'm in the process of doing this now, I will reply when I have this task completed. Also, another question,,would I be better off purchasing another IDE cable and attaching it to the secondary IDE port in my computer and running the new cdr from that, as opposed to the way I have it now, being a slave on the same cable/port as my hard drive? The secondary IDE port is not being used. I will report back in a while on my "removal" progress.
coadman

Ok, removal complete, no problems,now how do I check my autoexec.bat and config.sys files for you to take a look at?
coadman
Last edited by 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1coadman
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:21 pm

1coadman wrote:Also, another question,,would I be better off purchasing another IDE cable and attaching it to the secondary IDE port in my computer and running the new cdr from that, as opposed to the way I have it now, being a slave on the same cable/port as my hard drive?

Yes, that would be better. But it isn't critical that you do it right away. The computer will still operate in the configuration you currently have.

As for the purchase of an IDE cable, since you are far away from town, you might want to try CompUSA's online store. You'll pay $5 shipping on a $1.59 product, but that is probably better than a 50-mile drive to town:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:38 pm

1coadman wrote:Ok, removal complete, no problems,now how do I check my autoexec.bat and config.sys files for you to take a look at?
coadman

First let me offer a tip on posting. Sometimes editing a post is required, but when you edit a post the timeline in the thread gets confused. More importantly, an edited post is not marked as a new post. I, as well as many others, use the forum's features for displaying only new posts when reading threads, so if a thread isn't marked as having new posts I and many other people won't read it. I just happened to see your edit because I saw you enter and leave the forums without appearing to post anything, and out of curiosity I went back to take another look at this thread.

Now, on to your question. Just open the files using a text editor (notepad is fine) and then copy and paste the contents into a post here. The files are located in the C:\ directory, in case you don't already know that.

By the way, how is the system performing now? Does it still feel sluggish, or have things improved?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:18 pm

OK, Ill try and remember that "tip". I told you I was a real "novice" at this, as I cannot find my autoexec.bat or config.sys files to display here. I can find several autoexec.bat's when using dos, and also the config.sys, by typing dir. But from windows I dont know how to view them and copy them for your observation. I havent tried to copy any files to the cd/rw as of yet, but the whole system doesnt seem to run as "sluggishly" as before.
coadman :oops:
1coadman
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:40 pm

You probably have Windows Explorer set up to hide system files. That is easy enough to change, but let's just leave it as is for now, since you have been using the system that way for all these years. As an alternative, open up a DOS window and enter the following two commands, one at a time and hitting the 'enter' key after each:

Code: Select all
copy c:\autoexec.bat c:\windows\desktop\autoexec.txt

copy c:\config.sys c:\windows\desktop\config.txt

After you are done, your desktop will have two new files named autoexec.txt and config.txt which you can easily double-click to edit, and then copy and paste the contents here.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby 1coadman on Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:55 pm

Here's the autoexec.bat..(it doesnt look like it holds alot of info to me?)
SET PATH=C:\IBMTOOLS
Did the same with the "config.sys" and had message "0" files copied, so, Im confused.
:cry:
coadman
1coadman
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:16 pm

Good. The autoexec.bat file is clean. And, no, it doesn't hold a lot of information. But in Windows 98 it doesn't necessarily need to. The same goes with config.sys. Assuming you typed the copy command properly, it didn't copy any file because you don't have a config.sys file. That isn't a problem. In fact, it is a good thing, because it means your config.sys non-file is definitely clean - so clean it doesn't even exist. :wink: That eliminates a source of potentialy troublesome drivers being loaded into the system. Just to double check though, select "Start"->"Run" and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the box marked "Open:" in the dialog that pops up. Then press "OK". This will start a program that lists the contents of various system files. Click the "config.sys" tab and report what, if anything, it shows.

It sounds like your system is back in working order again. If that is the case, then rather than trying to track down every driver that might be loaded, I'd say the next step is to put the Nero installation CD-ROM into your new CD-RW and install the burning software. I am going to recommend that you install only Nero Burning ROM, and not InCD or any other programs that might be on the installation CD, at least for now.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Next

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives