Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Artec DVD-ROM recognized, but won't read discs

How fast is too fast?

Artec DVD-ROM recognized, but won't read discs

Postby Dan Hatfield on Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:59 pm

I recently upgraded my motherboard under a Windows2000 installation. Windows didn't like the fact that I had a new IDE controller, so I had to do a repair. Everything works fine now except my Artec DVD-ROM. I have a Lite-on CDRW that works just fine as a slave to the DVD. The system recognizes the DVD, and so does Windows. However, the DVD won't recognize any disc--DVD or CD. It spins the disc up, sounds like it's reading it, but I always get a "no disk in drive" message when I try to use the disc. Anyone know what might be going on?
Last edited by Dan Hatfield on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hatfield
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:54 pm

The "repair" might have removed something necessary for the drive's operation.

I would uninstall the Artec in Device Manager and reboot. The drive will be recognized and reinstalled. If this doesn't fix the problem I would check to see if an ASPI installation would cure it.

To install ASPI drivers, go to cyrus-troy Downloads and download the ASPI Check and Force ASPI programs.

Unzip (extract) ForceASPI, read the Index.htm file carefully, and run the program. ForceASPI will repair and properly install ASPI drivers.

Reboot, run ASPI Check to see if the installation is properly installed and is version 4.60 (1021). Try it again and see if it works.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Thanks!

Postby Dan Hatfield on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:51 pm

Thanks for the thorough reply! I'll try that tonight.
Dan Hatfield
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dan Hatfield on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:21 am

Well, I successfully installed the ASPI layer, but it did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions anybody? I'm about ready to just go buy a new drive, although my Artec is only 6 months old. Either it's broken or (more likely) it doesn't communicate well with the OS.
Dan Hatfield
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:49 am

If the drive hasn't gone bad, there should be no problem with it working in Win2000.

Occasionally a drive may fail at about the same time some other major system change is made. It may seem that the system change is responsible, but it possibly could be coincidence.

I would try removing the drive and testing it in another computer to see if it works OK. If it works in another computer, then it's not the drive's fault and further troubleshooting may fix the problem in your Win2000 installation. If it malfunctions in the other computer, it's defective and you can stop there and return the drive under warranty.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives