Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD 4.0.1.0

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD 4.0.1.0

Postby KCK on Fri May 30, 2003 6:25 pm

InCD 4.0.1.0 is available for download at www.ahead.de .

This is a completely rewritten version, which still needs further testing. Hence if you are satisfied with InCD 3.x, Ahead recommends to wait with the upgrade until the tests are finished.

Note that the link for EasyWriteReader on Download Page | InCD | Utilities is for version 4.0.7.0 (639063 bytes), whereas the downloaded version is still 1.0 (750220 bytes). :cry:
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Fri May 30, 2003 6:28 pm

If it needs further testing, then why is it posted on Ahead's main page without a disclaimer?

Pretty ballsy move if the product is in beta, especially after all the issues folks have had with previous versions of InCD. Granted they have gotten better.

Seems to me, best thing for them to do a release near bombproof version. Best way to change their perception in the market.

Although SP2 is supposed to include MR support... so it might render InCD unnecessary.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Re: InCD 4.0.1.0

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 31, 2003 2:10 am

KCK wrote:This is a completely rewritten version, which still needs further testing. Hence if you are satisfied with InCD 3.x, Ahead recommends to wait with the upgrade until the tests are finished.

How do you know that Ahead recommends waiting on the upgrade? I didn't see anything like this on the web site.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby KCK on Sat May 31, 2003 2:15 am

The disclaimer is given on Download Page | Important Additional Information | InCD Update information page:

http://www.nero.com/en/content/c1003822797030.html

Ahead's disclaimer may also be read as follows: If you are unlucky with InCD 3.x, and you have a new recorder, then try InCD 4.0.1.0.

Well, all of us would prefer if software companies released only fully tested versions of their products. This, however, is not realistic nowadays, due to market pressures, etc. Hence, although I'm not too happy about the beta smell, I appreciate that Ahead is at least honest about the current state of InCD, and I hope that Ahead will react quickly to users' feedback.

In the longer run, the new version of InCD might still be useful on pre-XP versions of Windows.

As for XP, we may hope that SP2 provides MRW support. But will we be happy if MS gets this support from Roxio, and are we sure that Roxio can provide better software than Ahead?

Concerning Roxio, for a long time many users of DirectCD had complained about file timestamps not being preserved while copying, and this bug was fixed in the latest release of DirectCD. Since InCD 4.0.1.0 seems to suffer from a similar bug (see below), it will be instructive to see how quickly Ahead fixes this bug.

Here is a quick outline of my latest experiments on my XP Pro SP1 box with Lite-On LTR-48125W VS0D.

After removing InCD 3.52.40 and EasyWriteReader 1.0, I installed InCD 4.0.1.0, formatted a blank disc (Datex 10x) to MRW, and copied to it 5036 files (394 MB) from a disc formatted to non-MRW by InCD 3.52.40, mounted on my DVD-ROM drive. The files were copied correctly (as confirmed via FileSync's binary compare), but 2379 copied files got the current date and time instead of their original timestamps.

Further, both copying and reading (for binary comparisons) seemed to take much longer than for previous versions of InCD. I can't give precise comparisons, since I don't have data for previous versions with the same firmware and CD-RW media.

Finally, Task Manager shows that incdsrv.exe takes 4,512 KB of memory, whereas InCD.exe takes 16,584 KB, i.e., about 21 MB in total. If I recall correctly, this used to be about 3.5 MB for the previous versions.

Of course, my results may be peculiar, but I'd like to advise other users to check timestamps, reading/writing speeds, and memory consumption.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 31, 2003 2:22 am

Thanks, KCK. :D

I don't know how, but I missed the page you linked to. All I know is, it wasn't displayed when I downloaded InCD 4.

I will be pleased if it turns out that is better for old versions of Windows than 3.x is. I still use Win98 on two of my computers in which I have CD-RW drives.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Alexandrus on Sat May 31, 2003 6:08 am

The new InCD is cool. Works for me great, and I like how it looks ;)
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Sat May 31, 2003 7:47 am

Glad to hear it's working for you, Alexandrus! :D

Which OS and service packs are you running? What does Task Manager say about InCD's memory? And did you check if file dates are preserved for copies?
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Alexandrus on Sat May 31, 2003 9:27 am

Win98SE and I'll install WinXP SP1 soon, but I didn't have time 'til now.
Don't know about the file dates, I'll check.
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sat May 31, 2003 11:57 am

what are the improvements? (apart from the new auto-detect-support stuff)?

does it by any chance work with CDRs now?
any control on the burning/formatting speed (like was in old versions)?
can a CD be ejected with the eject button?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Sat May 31, 2003 12:40 pm

KCK, thanks for the heads up.

I've been waiting for this new version of InCD for almost a year now. It's taken Ahead forever to finish it up.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Alexandrus on Sat May 31, 2003 1:26 pm

TBH, I have no idea what the improvements are, I use it very rarely because I don't really need packet writting.
Alexandrus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sat May 31, 2003 2:26 pm

interesting.
on the main news page Ian wrote that InCD 3 was based on BHA's B's Clip.
i didn't know this!

Ian, how come? i thought InCD went back to version 1 etc., was it based originally on BHA's software?
i thought the Ahead was the big software house, not BHA.
do you have more details about this?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Sat May 31, 2003 2:34 pm

I can't believe that you guys haven't noticed the "bsudf.sys" file that InCD uses.

I don't know all of the details, but from what I've heard the engineering behind InCD was shared with BHA. They were responsible for most of the code involved.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gilbert on Sat May 31, 2003 6:06 pm

For me I have not yet been able to install it. My first error msg was "Veritas drive letter access detected - Please remove". I deinstalled Stomp's Instant CD, my older INCD version and also Nero Drive Image which I've yet to use and rebooted and got the same error msg when trying to install INCD ver 4. I checked my registry with Registry Crawler and deleted everything with "Veritas". Rebooted and still no go. I then removed CopyStar's CDMate so I only have Nero and Burn@Once as far as CD writing sw. Rebooted and still the same error msg. I went into Registry edit and searched for "Veritas" and nothing. I then used JV16 and searched all the registry for keys and values and still nothing! I then had a look at local services and did not see anything dealing with Veritas drive letter access... I'm using Win XP Pro. I guess I'll wait some more for a newer version before attempting another install.

--
Gilbert
Gilbert
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat May 31, 2003 8:46 pm

Ian wrote:I can't believe that you guys haven't noticed the "bsudf.sys" file that InCD uses.

sure we did. especially those of us who experienced problems with InCD.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4764
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7377
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7417
and a few more too...(the search works!)

but how were we supposed to conclude from that that InCD was written by BHA?

in KCK's InCD troubleshooting guide under Winxp, and a few other places too, bsudf.sys is listed as a product of Ahead (i don't have it installed now so can't check), but here (Win98) bsudfrdr.vxd is listed as a product of BHA! and in another place the same for bsudf.vxd.
so how were we to know?

Ahh...now i understand your cryptic comment in this old thread of mine: InCD problem
Ian wrote:Hmm... Did you install B's Clip at any time?

i thought it was a general question about having installed 2 packet-writing programs simulataneously...
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Sat May 31, 2003 9:10 pm

There is some useful info in "InCD 4 - FAQ.html" in the InCD directory (normally C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD).

dodecahedron:

Apparently Ahead cooperated with BHA on InCD 3.x, and with Prassi on 2.x. It will be easier now for Ahead to provide technical support for their own product.

The main features are listed on Ahead's site in Products | InCD:

http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#c1004534911820

In particular, only rewritable media are supported and there is no speed control, but CDs can now be ejected via the burner's button.

Another new feature is that one can shut down or restart Windows without first ejecting an InCD disc.

Gilbert:

Since many problems with InCD 3.x were due to conflicts with drivers of other burning programs, InCD 4.0.1.0 doesn't install when it detects potential conflicts.

To identify suspect drivers, you could post the Driver Information reported by Nero InfoTool, and the final "Existing Drivers" section from your NeroHistory.log (from C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero).
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat May 31, 2003 9:23 pm

KCK wrote:It will be easier now for Ahead to provide technical support for their own product.

Let's hope so. Getting info on those cryptic error messages was a pain.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Sat May 31, 2003 9:50 pm

thanks, KCK.

KCK wrote:There is some useful info in "InCD 4 - FAQ.html" in the InCD directory (normally C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD).
haven't installed it yet.

KCK wrote:The main features are listed on Ahead's site in Products | InCD:

http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#c1004534911820

In particular, only rewritable media are supported and there is no speed control, but CDs can now be ejected via the burner's button.

Another new feature is that one can shut down or restart Windows without first ejecting an InCD disc.
thanks. visited that link, missed there the answer to the CDR question, but my other questions weren't answered there.

KCK wrote:It will be easier now for Ahead to provide technical support for their own product.
we can hope so.
i remain (hopefully) skeptical.
or should i say (skeptically) hopeful? :wink:
HAS ANYONE SEEN NERO TECH SUPPORT?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Sat May 31, 2003 9:56 pm

Ian:

Could you repeat one of your standard InCD benchmarks, at least for some Lite-On burner, but this time for InCD 4.0.1.0? I'm wondering if I'm alone in experiencing strange slowdowns on MRW.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Hazey on Sat May 31, 2003 10:10 pm

I just installed the new InCD 4 a short time ago and I have had nothing but problems with it. Now I know it is sort of a beta so I try not to be to harsh. I would also like to state that i just upgraded the firmware(the first one to enable MT.Rainier support) on my BenQ5224P burnner. That could be part of the problems aswell.

1. The task tray icon looks nothing like what it shows in the instructions. I've been looking at it for 5 mins and i still can't tell you what it looks like. Kinda like a lemon :lol: . From what i've read it is supposed to change depending on what disk is in the drive. Mine doesn't.

2. When I start the formating the bar graph moves to the end and then I get the message "formate complete". Now I know it really isn't but i figured it was telling me it was okay to add files to the disk. Wrong, when I tried to add a file I get the message" Cannot copy file, access is denied, Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use". It's been 15 mins now and I still get the same message.

3. When I opened drive in windows explorer I noticed 3 files that had been written to the disk by InCD. They are: a folder named files, Autorun.inf, and OpenHtml.exe. In the files folder there are several Ahead logo jpegs as well as this message in several languages.

Dear Customer,

You are currently trying to read a disc in the UDF Packetwriting format.
You are seeing this message instead of the contents of the disc because your system currently does not support the UDF format.

To make your System UDF compatible, we have developed a complimentary software tool, the InCD EasyWrite Reader.

To download the latest InCD EasyWrite Reader just visit our website at
http://www.nero.com

Your Ahead Software Team

Well my system did until I installed InCD 4 :evil:

4. My drive is totally locked up as I write this. I can't eject the disk at all. After I finish writing this I'll have to do a hard reboot :( .

Well that's about it. I'm new to this forum and certainly not an expert. These are just my own personal findings. Again some of this may not be InCD's fault but if anyone from ahead reads this or anyone for that matter, there more then welcome to use this info as they see fit. Kinda like a beta tester.

My system specs: P3 933 Win 98 256 ram

I'm not gonna give up just yet. I'm gonna fool around with this program a little bit more. I'll see what more trouble I can get into :wink:

Feel free to comment or give some suggestions.

Thanks for your time

Cheers :)
Hazey
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Sat May 31, 2003 10:11 pm

dodecahedron:

You don't need to install InCD to learn about it's capabilities. Just download InCD4010.exe and unpack it to some folder using WinRar or Total Commander (alternatively you could start the installer, wait until the files are uncompressed in your TEMP directory, and then kill the installer via Task Manager). Then, in the InCD subfolder, take a look at InCD_eng.chm, InCD_eng.pdf and "InCD 4 - FAQ.html".
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Pilgrim on Sat May 31, 2003 10:37 pm

KCK,

I also installed InCD 4 and contrary to the destructions, which stated that you can install this version over your previous version, I found that not to be the case at all. I was prompted to first uninstall my older version, which was the latest before this new upgrade. After jumping through reboot hoops, etc., it finally installed just fine.

However, I do have one problem which I'm hoping that you or someone else can tell me how to resolve. In the Options, by default, when you insert an unformatted disc, InCD is supposed to open. Well, for me it does not. In fact nothing happens. I have to go into Explorer and right click on the drive and choose "Format" from the context menu. This is a really big pain. Image

Any suggestions on how to get InCD to launch as it is supposed to when a blank CD-RW is inserted into the drive?

Also.... did I understand you or someone correctly that it is now possible to eject a disc from the drive by using the drive's manual button? And lastly, a real plus, as far as I'm concerned. InCD now allows you to erase a disc without having to launch Nero Burning ROM or Express. Image

Thanks,

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Sat May 31, 2003 10:44 pm

Hazey:

I've only tested InCD 4.0.1.0 on my XP SP1 box so far, but I guess it should behave similarly on Win98.

1. The systray icon does look strange, but in Explorer | Properties | InCD the enlarged icon actually looks quite nice. The FAQ admits that the three other icons mentioned in the documentation have not been implemented yet.

2. Does InCD 4.0.1.0 work correctly for non-MRW discs? If yes, maybe the firmware doesn't support MRW correctly.

3. Which drive did you use to inspect this disc? What you saw would be normal on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive on a system where EasyWriteReader is not installed. (BTW, EasyWriteReader v1.0 should be removed before installing InCD 4.0.1.0, v4.0.7.0 is still unavaible at Ahead's site, but maybe the version in the Files folder on your disc could work if you wanted to read InCD discs in other drives.)
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Hazey on Sat May 31, 2003 10:47 pm

Well the hits just keep on coming :evil:

After my hard reboot InCD will no longer allow me to format Mt.Rainier. The option is now grayed out. If that isn't bad enough, now i'm getting the BSOD every time i try to click on my Burner icon. When it rains it pours I guess.:x

Cheers.
Hazey
Buffer Underrun

Postby Hazey on Sat May 31, 2003 11:08 pm

KCK wrote:Hazey:

1. The systray icon does look strange, but in Explorer | Properties | InCD the enlarged icon actually looks quite nice. The FAQ admits that the three other icons mentioned in the documentation have not been implemented yet.

2. Does InCD 4.0.1.0 work correctly for non-MRW discs? If yes, maybe the firmware doesn't support MRW correctly.

3. Which drive did you use to inspect this disc? What you saw would be normal on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive on a system where EasyWriteReader is not installed.

My bad about the 3 icons not implemented yet :oops: .

Haven't tried to format a non MRW disc yet. I'll let you know. As I said before I just installed the new firmware on my Benq 5224P CD writer. According to info on there site, this firmware supports Mt.Rainier. It also says that on nero info tool.

The drive I'm reading from is the same drive that i'm formating on. the Benq 5224P.

I didn't have easywritereader installed when i was using InCD, however I just installed it which I think is the reason i'm getting the BSOD. I'll be uninstalling it promptly.

Perhaps my BenQ 5224P is not supported be the new InCD 4. The InCD's(the 3's) worked fine.

Thanks KCK for responding.

Cheers. :)
Hazey
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)