Just got my Optorite DD0203 from accupc.com

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby Spitwad on Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:37 pm

err sorry, 80min 700mb :)
Spitwad
Buffer Underrun

Re: some updates....

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:38 am

Thanks for the information. I can't wait to upgrade to get the full 8 MB buffer.

All in all I have to say for those who are looking to burn DVD's, this drive is a winner!!! :wink:

OptoRite wrote:Here are the answers to your questions in the previous posts.

1. There is a new B's Recorder Gold update available now, v5.32, which enables the HD-BURN feature.

2. Yes you can flash back to the previous version of firmware.

3. F/w 2.09 will give you 8MB buffer memory. Don't try to open the drive because that will void your warranty. This version should be posted on our website sometimes next week

4. You cannot flash the firmware if it is connected externally (USB/1394)

5. This SANYO chipset does not support Mt. Rainier.
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

flash external drives

Postby OptoRite on Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:21 pm

I have never tested the drive externally, since we don't sell the external model. But if it worked for you in the previous firmware versions, I don't see why it won't work with the new version.

noypi2000 wrote:Optorite, I flashed my drive 3 times now and it is in a firewire enclosure. Are you saying with the new firmware you cannot flash the drive?
OptoRite
Buffer Underrun

optorite region code (Help)

Postby napsteado on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:56 am

Hi everybody,

I just have a DD0203 and I was quite happy with it until now. I was able to burn any DVD-R and -R i tried, and also any cd with the firmware 206.

Then I upgrated it to the version 207, and tried to burn an HD Burn CD. It failed, so I thought that was the new firmware and I went back to the 206 version. I tried to burn another HD Burn CD and it failed too, so it was not the firmware.

But the worst thing that I didn´t know before is that each time I changed the firmware it changed the region code too (at the begining was region 2, wich was fine for me) and after three changes I have only one remaining change (and also, I don't know why, I have region 1.) I´m using windows XP pro, and I guess that it has something to do with it, but the firmwares can only be installed under windows, so I don´t know what to do. Of course, I´m afraid of changing the firmware again to 207 or future versions and lose the only remaining change option.

Does anybody have the same problem?

Does anybody have upgrated the firmware without changing the region code? How?

Thanks in advance
napsteado
Buffer Underrun

Postby noypi2000 on Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:01 am

Optorite, thanks for the reply. Hopefully everything improves in the future for this drive. My only problem right now is that it does not work with my Princo dvd-rw. Its not much of a problem since I only have 3 left and I can wait until your firmware can support it. Everything else I burn works and have good compatibility. In regards to the eject problem, I think it takes a longer time for the drive to eject the disc. I really don't have to press it hard but the wait for the tray to open is longer compared to my other drives.
noypi2000
Buffer Underrun

2.09 is working well.

Postby jhutner149n on Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:01 am

I just updated firmware to 2.09 and it worked well for burning 2 fuji DVD-Rs.

I'm new to this and have a few questions, if you guys wouldn't mind: :D

How can I tell if it is using the full 8mb?

This may seem basic, but what is a Region and how does it affect burning/viewing?

Also how can you check the current Region.

Thanks! :wink:
jhutner149n
Buffer Underrun

Postby Bhairav on Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:41 am

1) If you have Nero installed, you can use Nero InfoTool, which is in the same folder as Nero ,ie Start-> Program menu->Ahead Nero. This useful little tool will tell you the amount of buffer you have.

2)Hollywood, in their infinite wisdom, has divided up the DVD viewing world into 5 regions. The US,Canada and Japan make up region 1, Europe is region 2, etc etc. In theory, DVDs made for region 1 cannot be played back in region 2,3,4 or 5 DVD players.However, there are many ways around this, and you can most likely flash your DVD drive into a "region-free" drive, which, as the name implies, plays back DVDs from all regions equally well.
This won't affect your burning, AFAIK.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby overfiend on Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:16 am

Excellent job optorite. Thanks for all the firmware updates in such a short timespan. So far you've excelled above many dvdburner manufacturers out there in improvement response. So now the drive has 8meg buffer for use.

On another note I haven't seen any response if it's drive or future firmwares will implement 'booktype change' to dvdrom. For the curious who doesn't know what that is, dvd drives and players read the media format as DVD-rom, DVD-R, DVD+R, etc. But many of the older dvdplayers in existence does not read DVD+R and DVD+RW because the format was not available at the time. So some 'PLUS' drives came equipped thru firmware w/ the option to change the bitset sector of the disk to be recognized as a DVD-rom. DVD-rom setting option is default for DVDdecryptor and Nero has the option to select DVD-rom if the drive's firmware supports it. I for one have kept my HP200i 2.4x +R drive in use instead of discarding is because of that reason, highest COMPATIBILITY mode. So currently for the few optorite drive owners who own one of these standalone-players, either we use -R to burn our movies or go buy a new player to support +R.

Thanks again OptoRite

overfiend

**edit**
And thanks for using the led to let us know when we pressed the eject button. Now I won't accidentally press it twice wondering if its pressed or not. Good job.
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Postby tessel8 on Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:09 pm

Hi all. Optorite or one of you who have purchased the drive, what is the warrenty on it? I can't seem to find that information on their webpage (hint hint, Optorite, you may want to add that :-).
tessel8
Buffer Underrun

Postby conehead433 on Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:39 pm

I had e-mailed Optorite about this and received this:

"All OptoRite products carry one-year warranty. Please keep your purchase receipt for all warranty purposes."

Anyone who has upgraded to the newest firmware 2.09 would you please comment on any noticeable changes other than the change from 4MB to 8MB cache. Also if owners would post their success or failure with any and all DVD media and this drive. Personally I've had success with Verbatim Data Life Plus +R (4X), DVDInfo ID'd as RICOH discs and also
Memorex DVD -R (2X) ID'd as CMC with no problems. I have not tried any others. Have had zero coasters.
conehead433
Buffer Underrun

Postby atrac on Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:36 pm

Indeed, everytime the Firmware is updated a "Region Change" is lost. So I was at 2 changes left before I run this newest firmware. It also keeps changing it to Region 2 and I am in Region 1.

Can this issue be resolved so I won't have to worry about getting my drive locked to Region 2??
atrac
Buffer Underrun

Postby conehead433 on Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:17 pm

I have had to change my region setting also. You might try disabling the drive either through the BIOS or by disconnecting the power cable. Boot, shut down and reboot after reconnecting or enabling the drive and see if you get a fresh set of downs so to speak after your computer recognizes the drive again. It may be necessary to run RegClean or a similar registry cleaning program after you boot up without the drive.
conehead433
Buffer Underrun

Postby smigs on Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:17 pm

I was thinking of putting this in a firewire enclosure to use with my Apple Powerbook. Did anyone try this on a mac?

Thanks,
smigs
smigs
Buffer Underrun

Princo's work with new firmware!

Postby richwolf on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:18 pm

I just got confirmation from a friend that his previously non-working white-top Princo DVD-R's now work with firmware 2.09 installed!!! It looks like Optorite worked out incompatibility issues as well as enabling the 8mg buffer! Everybody, please try those previously non-working DVD’s you bought and discarded and report back to us! Also, anyone have a line on cheap 4x DVD’s that work with the drive? Thanks!
"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
richwolf
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:27 pm

About the region changes; I'm curious whether you guys are looking at a software counter or at the drive's own hardware region counter? Are you looking in Device Manager on the region tab, or are you using a program like DISCInfo? If you're looking in Device Manager, then that is only a software region counter and can probably be reset or at least prevented from decreasing further using tools like Region Killer or DVD Genie. If you're using a tool like DISCInfo to view the drive itself's counter and this counter is decreasing, then we have a potential problem since there is no patched firwmare yet, and if the region is being set to 2 even though you are in region one, then this is a huge fault of the manufacturer and you should complain to them ruthlessly until they release some kind of fix. I'd be interrested to see what they'd do. I doubt that they would release a tool to reset the region since this would be frowned upon by the DVD Forum, but they'd probably take your drives back and do a manufacturer's reset or something...
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby conehead433 on Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:06 pm

In regard to changing the region settings, here is what is under the DVD Region tab for the Optorite drive in device manager:

"CAUTION You can change the region a limited number of times. After Changes remaining reaches zero, you cannot change the region even if you reinstall Windows or move your drive to a different computer."

"Changes remaining: 1"

And I have not flashed my drive yet with the 2.09 firmaware, so if I install it and the drive defaults back to region 2 and I set it back to region 1, then I am left with no changes and should I need to flash the drive again I am stuck on region 2 if it defaults to it again. I will e-mail Optorite about this and see what they can tell me. Will post their answer here.
conehead433
Buffer Underrun

Postby Budman69 on Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:52 pm

I dont know what you guys are freaking about region settings,just load 2.09 and it set to ALL..also 8 meg buffer is applied...THATS IT!!
Budman69
Buffer Underrun

Postby overfiend on Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:43 pm

conehead,

it's normal. By default w2k+xp will show 2 region changes for a new drive and it will show 'no region selected'. After you put your region coded disk in the drive windows will set it automatically. Then you will only have 1 change left. Everytime you flash a drive it will reset back to 2 until you place a disk in. To windows, new firmware equals new drive. So relax and flash away. It's only window's limit and has nothing to do with the drive's limit. You can check your drive's remaining changes w/ numerous software.
http://www.remoteselector.com/driveinfo.htm
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

open i/o drive err can't upgrade firmware

Postby Tang on Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:19 pm

What a crap. Who come you guys all upgrade to 2.09 fine. I keep getting this 'open i/o drive erro' and even it says upgrade completed. It's still the old 2.07 firmware after system reboot. I did evrything fine. just want to get 8mb buffer. This sucks. :o :evil:
Tang
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:33 am

if it found new hardware, then it should reset to 5 changes left, not to 2 changes left.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby overfiend on Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:19 am

Tang,
Uninstall Intel Application Accelerator if it's installed, then reinstall it after upgrading the firmware. If you don't have IAA, then try flashing it as the 'only' device on that ide channel. And if it still doesn't work grrr, then run the drive on PIO mode instead of DMA. That's it, I'm out of options. Let me know how it turns out for you.

I've re-read my previous post and do not find it confusing. So to those who don't understand or feel comfortable w/ flashing on w2k and winXP. Then don't flash it. 2.06 - 07 works just fine. Please do not interpret this as sarchasm. If you want me to I will try to reiterate 2000andXP's vs manufacturer's region counter to you. Honestly hope I don't have to.

overfiend

mysetup, XPpro, p4 1.6 @ 2.2 - 533FSB, 1g pc800 RIMMS, 4 ide drives = 480gigs, scsi toshiba dvdrom, liteon 40x cdrw, optorite dvdrw, 6-in-1 memory reader, audigy platinum, Xcard, gf4 mx440
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Princos & Where are the cheap 4x DVD-Rs?

Postby Ditto on Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:25 am

The white top Prinos only burn at 2x with 2.09 firmware, which, I guess is better than not at all. Has anyone discovered CHEAP 4x media that work in this drive at 4x speed???? Thanks![size=18][/size]
Ditto
Buffer Underrun

open i/o drive error

Postby novon on Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:50 pm

Crap! I'm getting the "'open i/o drive error" when trying to upgrade the firmware to 2.09 too...I'm stuck on 2.06. It says it flashed, but it's still 2.06.

I tried uninstalling IIA, as well as having it be the only drive on the cable, but same problem.
novon
Buffer Underrun

Postby Stoner on Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:19 pm

dhc014 wrote:if it found new hardware, then it should reset to 5 changes left, not to 2 changes left.

I'm freaking out here man. The 166S I can easily deal w/ doing the mtkflash thing in DOS, but this is the 2nd time I flashed the Optorite and I'm getting 2 chances left. Folks at Optorite has to sort this out ASAP.

Update: nm about the tags, didn't see the disable BBCode box.

Or am I just freaking over nothing? DiscInfo shows both 166S and Optorite as the following -
Last edited by Stoner on Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stoner
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:50 am

Stoner wrote:Was gonna post some pics, but "img" tag doesn't work, neither does "quote". Very funny. :evil:

make sure you have "BBCode is ON".
this is on the "Post a reply" screen, in the Options under the smilies on the left.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers