Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Just got my Optorite DD0203 from accupc.com

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby EatMoreChicken on Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:50 pm

griffindoor wrote:Has anyone tried burning an vcd/xvcd/svcd using hd-burn and was able to play it off their stand-alone dvd player?

I'd like to know as well. Along the same line, has anyone tried to combine a two disc DivX using HD-burn and playing it on Lite-on's new DVD player the PhoMaster LVD-2001?
EatMoreChicken
Buffer Underrun

DVD-R support

Postby DD0203user on Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:25 pm

I have had successful results with everything offered on this drive so far except for DVD-R. (I miss burning the 2x CMC media at 4x with 2.03 f/w though, I am on 2.09 now.) HD-burn works with Bgold software update. All DVD+R written discs have no problems. I am unsure though about DVD-R. I agree with previous posts that the discs seem not to be finalized. I thought it was my Sony dvd player not being compatible with DVD-R, but I am beginning to think it is the finalize problem that this drive might have with -R (my Sony manual shows -R support). Luckily my Pioneer dvd can read them. We need a f/w to fix this from Optorite/Sanyo. If they do that this drive will be perfect. None other than this drive offers +/-R and HD-burn for such a good price. No problems with the eject button here. No coasters after 50+ burns. Come on Optorite/Sanyo you can do it!! :D
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Postby griffindoor on Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:59 am

I was able to burn using Fujifilm DVD-R 1-2x purchased at bestbuy. The real identification for these disks are the RitekG03, which makes them other than Taiyo Yudens. That means if I need more of these babies, then I'll buy in bulk, and ID-d as RitekG03. I believe RitekG04 are rated as 4x. Using the Optorite dd0203, I successfully burned 15-20+ using this brand of dvd, no coasters, and with firmware 2.09.
griffindoor
Buffer Underrun

Postby Telstar on Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:03 pm

firehawk12 wrote:Anyone figure out the DVD-Region "problem" yeT? :)

What region problem? For anyone who's still concerned about the DVD region issue, please read the following link:

http://digi.rpc1.org/lies.htm

There is no issue at all regarding the 2.09 firmware, the problem lies at the Windows XP/2000 as stated in the above link. Besides, get a LiteOn DVD-ROM and make it region free and use it for DVD ripping. I don't use my DVD burner to rip DVDs.
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

Postby overfiend on Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:41 pm

griffindoor, I love the riteks. But you'll find the 4x name brand disks that are riteks cheaper than buying bulk riteks when they're on sale. ~$1.20-$1.30 vs ritek bulk at cheapest $1.50 each. So, thank god for competition. Most of the +r name brands are riteks. Says made in Taiwan, and they show as RICOHJPN, but they're riteks. Buy the bulk ritek +R, they show RICOHJPN. Don't know what deal Ricoh had with ritek, maybe to just confuse consumers into thinking they're buying original japanese dvd+r's. Bull. Fuji, tdk, memorex, hp, etc uses them. But I do love the riteks. Best compatibility for the price.

Telstar,
Give up on those guys w/ the region counter. I've tried a couple of pages back and gave up. Some I guess finally figured it out and didn't ask no more, but didn't have the common courtesy to come back and confirm to those still in question.
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Postby tessel8 on Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:39 pm

Just burnt my first HD disk. No problems with 1.367GB. Used cheap Kypermedia 12x's from Frys. I burnt them at 6x... dunno if that helped.
Add it to the list.
tessel8
Buffer Underrun

Postby griffindoor on Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:49 pm

tessel8 wrote:Just burnt my first HD disk. No problems with 1.367GB. Used cheap Kypermedia 12x's from Frys. I burnt them at 6x... dunno if that helped.
Add it to the list.

Hey tessel8, would you happen to know who manufactured the Khypermedia you tried out? You could use Nero CDspeed under the EXTRA tab and click Disc Info, and can you copy and paste it here as well as leave info on the firmware you currently have. Thanks bunch
griffindoor
Buffer Underrun

Postby Telstar on Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:36 pm

griffindoor wrote:... would you happen to know who manufactured the Khypermedia you tried out?

Khypermedia CD-R discs are made by CMC, which is on the HD-Burn media list provided by Sanyo from the following link:

http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof ... oduct.html
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

Postby Conundrum on Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:45 pm

The Khypermedia CD-R I have are made by Mitsubishi Chemical, Dye 2. Bought in OfficeMax.
Conundrum
Buffer Underrun

Postby griffindoor on Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:21 pm

I have 4 brands of cd-r's which are manufactured by CMC, all has the same model id. Unfortunately, they don't seem to work with hd-burn. I know CMC is on the hd-burn list of compatible media, however, model number is left blank, maybe there are a lot of brands to even list in the table, or Optorite is in the process of testing CMC discs and will release an update f/w. Question, is CMC considered low-end cd-r's? And does this limit their compatibility with hd-burn? Maybe I should be asking Optorite reps. this question, so feel free, anyone.
griffindoor
Buffer Underrun

Postby Stoner on Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:32 pm

For those who bought the TDK 4x DVD+R @ BestBuy, do you guys know who makes it? DVD ID it. I might be interested in picking up a pack next time they go on sale... although I already have a 100 Fuji 2.4x DVD+R...
Stoner
CD-RW Thug

Postby raygay27 on Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:29 am

i m a new owner of this optorite.
i like this drive very much, though i m not a heavy user.
so far it has not given me any problems.
here are the media i tested with.
among the 3 media i tested, only the No.3( RIDATA) dun work on this drive. wonder why.burning in Nero could not finalised the leadout.(using firmware 2.07)

others are okay.
i test HDBURN with this media. i only have this to test out so far. the burning is a success!

now i hav updated to 2.09. so far no prob yet. i only got 1 piece Ridata media so cant test out on 2.09.
i also recently tested out these twos

both burnt with success!

all burning under Nero 5.5.10.35 under winxp
i also use the verbatim 2.4x dvd+rw as a big floppy under B'GOLD CLIP that comes with the package. everything is just fine!
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby tessel8 on Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:19 pm

I'll check the media info tonight and post back on the khypermedia. I am using the 2.09 firmware under XP on a 2.5GHz P4 (just incase that helps). I did the burn off of a network drive even :-).
tessel8
Buffer Underrun

DVD-R finalized?

Postby DD0203user on Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:38 pm

Can someone else test DVD-R writes with DVDdecryptor? I made an iso from a dvd. I burnt the iso to Verbatim DVD-R. Then I tried to make an iso of the newly made Verbatim DVD-R with DVDdecryptor, but it reports unreadable at the end of the the disc. This definitely looks like it failed to finalize. The disc cannot be played back in my Pioneer 116 or my Optorite. It does play in my Pioneer standalone video player, but I know Pioneer mechs are very forgiving. This does not happen with any DVD+R I've used.
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Postby tessel8 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:05 am

The Kyphermedia CD-R that I used to make the HD CD came back with the following from Disc Info

Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics
Code: 97m26s66f
Recording layer: Dye Type 6
tessel8
Buffer Underrun

Postby firehawk12 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:09 am

It says that the firmware updates can only be done in Windows 2000 or Windows XP, is it possible to do it in 98SE?

Thanks.
firehawk12
Buffer Underrun

Re: DVD-R finalized?

Postby raygay27 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:46 am

DD0203user wrote:Can someone else test DVD-R writes with DVDdecryptor? I made an iso from a dvd. I burnt the iso to Verbatim DVD-R. Then I tried to make an iso of the newly made Verbatim DVD-R with DVDdecryptor, but it reports unreadable at the end of the the disc. This definitely looks like it failed to finalize. The disc cannot be played back in my Pioneer 116 or my Optorite. It does play in my Pioneer standalone video player, but I know Pioneer mechs are very forgiving. This does not happen with any DVD+R I've used.

my experience is that i burnt a movie dvd using THATS dvd+r and it cant be read in Pioneer 16x dvdrom, but can be read in DD0203 itself.
i am not too sure what happened. using Nero 55.10.35 to burn.firmware 2.09. just upgraded to Nero55.10.42. will test out more.
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby fogfire on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:45 pm

raygay27 wrote:my experience is that i burnt a movie dvd using THATS dvd+r and it cant be read in Pioneer 16x dvdrom, but can be read in DD0203 itself.
i am not too sure what happened. using Nero 55.10.35 to burn.firmware 2.09. just upgraded to Nero55.10.42. will test out more.

I have seen tests that were used to make DVD+R look less compatible than DVD-R. The trick is that the test used 10 Pioneer (a backer of DVD-R) drives out of about 25 and had lots of problems on thier drives. So this is no surprise.

If you pull or even reduce the sample of Pioneer equipment the difference between DVD-R and +R is small. And even a test the claimed DVD-R to be suprerior, when you looked at their results DVD+ media was better in standalone players.
fogfire
Buffer Underrun

DVD-R not finalized

Postby DD0203user on Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:32 pm

Raygay27,
You mentioned your Ridata did not finalize. I think what I mentioned above is the same problem. I think the Optorite does not finalize DVD-R. Try the DVDdecryptor test I mentioned, and you might find the same.
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Postby griffindoor on Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:46 am

tessel8
I checked the HD Burn recommended list at optorite.com and saw that CMC 972666 media are supported. In your case, hd works with this type of cd-r. I followed your tip (burning at 6x), but still no luck. Keep getting "Power Calibration Error" when using CMC 972666 media. Taiyo Yuden and Ritek still burns fine. I get this error when using Nero. Does anyone have the same problem?
griffindoor
Buffer Underrun

Postby fogfire on Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:01 am

That was error I got with my TDK 48X bot on Nero and when I was uisng B'd Recorder. The Fuji (Taiyo Yuden) works perfectly at 24X.
fogfire
Buffer Underrun

Postby doofusdud on Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:29 pm

I've heard about the problem with dvd-r media recorded with Optorite fw 2.09, I too am having this when I try to play in my Sony dvp-nc655p. All the various brands of dvd-rw play in my standalone without any problem, but obviously with the expense, this is not a long term option for backing up a collection. The dvd-r media play back fine on the computer with Power DVD. As for dvd-r, I am using Fujifilm (ritek G-03) Memorex (CMC MAG. AF1) and TDK (MXL RG01), This theory of the Optorite not finalizing seems now to be the front runner in my ever-growing list. I would love to have dvd-r's play flawlessly in the standalone. I don't want to have to return the Optorite and spring for a Sony. I did not seem to have a problem with the unit out of the box. It had fw 2.03 then and I made 10 or so backups before I did the fw upgrade. Anyone know how to find this old firmware? The farthest I've been able to flash back is 2.06, with the problem of the non-playability of dvd-r's remaining.

Thanks
doofusdud
Buffer Underrun

Postby fogfire on Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:04 pm

DVD+R is going to be more compatible with standalone players from what I have seen in tests. Tests that give -R the edge over the other three formats feature lots of pioneer drives with enough failurs on their Drives to skew the percentage. When the failure distribution is placed on a chart. DVD+ medias have slight edge over DVD- on video players.

So I have not really tried to burn any DVD- media. THE HD burn and good DVD+ is enough for me to keep the drive.
fogfire
Buffer Underrun

Postby DD0203user on Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:07 am

This is a "disc finalizing" problem not a "-R vs. +R compatibility with standalone dvd player" issue. What is the use of having a dual format if dvd-r does not work properly? I hope Optorite is reading this. I am sure this can be cured through firmware.
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Postby Telstar on Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:09 pm

DD0203user wrote:Can someone else test DVD-R writes with DVDdecryptor? I made an iso from a dvd. I burnt the iso to Verbatim DVD-R. Then I tried to make an iso of the newly made Verbatim DVD-R with DVDdecryptor, but it reports unreadable at the end of the the disc. This definitely looks like it failed to finalize. The disc cannot be played back in my Pioneer 116 or my Optorite. It does play in my Pioneer standalone video player, but I know Pioneer mechs are very forgiving. This does not happen with any DVD+R I've used.

I have burned 2 CompUSA brand DVD-R discs made by Optodisc using DVDdecryptor without any problem, and they play fine on both of my DVD players and the DVD burner, so I doubt your problem is either a firmware or general hardware problem of the DD0203. It's more likely a media problem, try using a different brand of DVD-R disc. Just my two cents.

FYI, if your Verbatim discs are labeled made in Taiwan, then they were most likely made by CMC even if Mitsubishi Chemical is identified as the media code. Generally Verbatim discs made in Singapore have better quality than those made in Taiwan.
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers