Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TY Fuji's Question

Burn baby burn!

Postby Bonesdad on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:39 pm

CDRecorder wrote:What do you mean by "a clear top spindle"? If you mean that it doesn't have the rotating cap that holds the cover on the spindle, that's normal for newer TY spindles.

No, read the post I quoted...he sez the plastic lid is opaque if it's TY, clear if it's not. Mine is made in Japan (TY...?) but the top cover is clear (not TY...according to him)
Bonesdad
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:46 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. He wasn't talking about the packaging, he was talking about the middle ring in the middle of the discs themselves. The packaging should be clear, but the middle of each CD should be opaque. Look at the photo in this post to see what I'm talking about.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Bonesdad on Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:49 pm

gotcha...my bad

unfortunately, there is a paper tab summarizing the warranty covering the ring...I cant see it unless I open the packaging....since they are Japan, I will assume TY and open...thanks
Bonesdad
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:17 pm

You're welcome. I know what you mean about the paper tab, too. I've found similar paper tabs or discs on top of all of my Fuji CD-Rs, too.

Another way to tell whether your discs are made by TY is by looking at the spindle. If the spindle looks like the one in the post to which I posted a link above, they will be TY.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Last TY Fujis Purchased

Postby NeilPeart on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:55 am

I just cleaned out my local Best Buy - I bought 2 100 disc packs (actually 4 50 packs, each packaged as 2) of Fuji media. They were all made in Japan, so I was more than hopeful that they would be TY. I brought 'em home and checked using Nero's old "shift+refresh" trick...TY made! There are literally no more TY Fujis anywhere in the Bay Area; I have checked various CompUSAs, OfficeMax, Office Depots, Staples, Best Buys, Frys, Micro Centers...none of them have Japan-made Fuji discs anymore. I finally found some TY Fujis so I bought them all. Now I have to explain to all my friends NOT to buy Fujis anymore when I specifically told them TO buy Fujis. Oh well, I hope my 200 discs last longer than my last batch. 8)
Drives I Own:

Asus S520/A, Plextor UltraPlex 40TSi, Lite-on XJ-HD166S, Pioneer DVD-106S, Toshiba SD-M1712, Plextor PX-R820Ti, Plextor PX-W1210TS, Plextor Premium, Samsung SM-352B, Teac CD-W540E, Yamaha CRW-F1, Plextor PX-708A, Sony DRU-510A
NeilPeart
Buffer Underrun

Postby Harrier on Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:33 am

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on the "Shit+refresh" trick?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

looking for TY's ###?

Postby madmadworld on Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:11 am

hi all
i hope you all are well.
one way i found to check if it's a ty disc is the numbers on the hub. ty's are straight across the hub not rounded.
check some of your disc's and see if it's true for your disc's.

i guess we all will be buying our disc's online. anyone know of good sellers ?
new here it looks cool.
thanks
take care
joe
madmadworld
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:28 am

Harrier wrote:Would you be kind enough to elaborate on the "Shit+refresh" trick?

I'm sure you mean "shift" and not "shit"! :o :D

Show medium info, from Nero. If you hold "shift" and press the refresh-button, it diplays the manufacturers name. Holding "shift+ctrl" and pressing "Refresh" gives additional information from the lead-in and ATIP.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:20 am

MediumRare wrote:Holding "shift+ctrl" and pressing "Refresh" gives additional information from the lead-in and ATIP.

thanks for this tip, didn't know about it.

MediumRare wrote:Show medium info, from Nero. If you hold "shift" and press the refresh-button, it diplays the manufacturers name.

you can also save a few mouseclicks and a few seconds by pressing shift, or control-shift, while clicking on the Medium Info button in the toolbar, or when clicking Medium-Info in the Recorder menu. that way the Disc Info pops up with the extra info, no need to refresh!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives