Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Official KProbe Thread

Burn baby burn!

Official KProbe Thread

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:58 pm

What happened to the Official KProbe Thread?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:24 pm

The CD Doctor thread is gone too.....
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby sendra0285 on Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:44 am

What happened?
:cry:
sendra0285
Buffer Underrun

Postby Bhairav on Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:49 am

I'm guessing Lite-On are cracking down on KProbe. CDFreaks have removed their KProbe thread too. I only hope Karr isn't in any trouble because of this.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:47 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:The CD Doctor thread is gone too.....

CD Doctor thread is still here (just not sticky anymore):
http://cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8095&highlight=cddoctor
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:54 am

bhairavp wrote:I only hope Karr isn't in any trouble because of this.

So do I, it would be unbelievable if he was in trouble with Lite-On because of this.
Don't they see that Kprobe only helped to enhance the position of their drives? How out of touch can you get? :-?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:25 am

I don't know all of the details, only that Karr asked that they be removed.

Personally, I think KProbe and Smartburn were great utilities. Lite-On would be smart to promote them. Of course, not everyone sees it that way.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:35 am

Karr's website has been gone for over a week, so it looks like things are escalating even further.

I (too) think it's a crying shame that these useful tools and now even the disussion about them is being suppressed. For me (at least) they are a major reason to buy a LiteOn drive and I've made numerous such recommendations to my friends and colleagues.

We can only hope that things will normalize.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:12 am

Well, no more liteONs for me! They've taken away the best reason to buy one, and the Optorite drive appears to be a perfect alternative for my needs. I have been a big supporter of LiteON ever since my Yamaha 4416 died on me a few years back, but if they are going to treat their customers and employee's like this, then I'm taking my business elsewhere! :evil:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:21 am

You guys also need to realize that Karr also provided some pretty controversial tools, like LTNFlash. Yeah, it was a great way to update firmware initially, but when you start adding ways to disable region checking... you're asking for trouble.

Of course, you also have the rumors about the jealous A-holes that turned Karr in. It blows my mind why someone would do that, just to get in good with Lite-On.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:12 am

Ian wrote:Personally, I think KProbe and Smartburn were great utilities. Lite-On would be smart to promote them.
i'm deliberating right now between a Lite-On and a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive. the only reason i'm leaning towards the Lite-On is KProbe.

Ian wrote:You guys also need to realize that Karr also provided some pretty controversial tools, like LTNFlash. Yeah, it was a great way to update firmware initially, but when you start adding ways to disable region checking... you're asking for trouble.
it's a shame that some sort of arrangement wasn't (couldn't be?) reached, where the non-controversial utilities would still be available to us, just stop the "problematic" ones (or eliminate the "problematic" portions of the programs).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:54 am

Well spoken dolphinius, only reason to own Lite-On is for Kprobe. I hope they (Lite-On) realized what they have done to some heavy-Lite-On customers.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:14 pm

Well, I own Lite-On drives because they're affordable and perform well. KProbe is just an extra bonus.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:10 pm

Like Ian, I own the Lite-On drives because they are good and affordable. However, I think it would be great if Lite-On could release these tools. Even if LtnFlash retained only the abilities to flash and backup firmware, it would still (in my opinion) be the best flashing tool for Lite-On drives.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby MediumRare on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:34 pm

Ian wrote:Well, I own Lite-On drives because they're affordable and perform well. KProbe is just an extra bonus.

When I bought by LTR48246S last Nov., I did so mainly because of information from this site. It was primarily "just a cheap drive" which performed well. Hadn't heard much about LiteOn prior to lurking around here.

It's been a good drive, but so are others- LG is no more expensive. What really opened my eyes, though, was the possibility to do error scans with CD Doctor and (above all) KProbe. Since them I scan every disc I burn. I won't buy another drive without such diagnostic tools. It's not "just an extra bonus" anymore.

At present this means LiteOn (because I don't need the other gadgets that Plextor offers and the results are presented better than with PlexTools). But if other companies wake up and offer such diagnostic tools, LiteOn has lost a unique trait that makes it very/more desirable.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:50 pm

I wouldn't even keep my LTD-163D around if it weren't for error scanning. I'd just get one of those cool Slot Loading Pionner Drives.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:43 pm

those "cool slot loading pioneer drives" aren't that great, I gave mine away for free I got so sick of it not reading burned DVDs very well. I actually replaced it with an AFREEY DVD-ROM and felt it was a good thing... that has to tell you something! :evil:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives