Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Religion

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Religion

Postby MonteLDS on Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:30 pm

Please no fighting. Just a simple what religion are you. And if your current faith is not the faith you were born into a simple brief of how you became of the faith you are.

As you most likely know I am Mormon (LDS: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

and yourself?

*if you do not believe in God you can state that as well, or if you do not belong to any religion but believe in simply God feel free to say so*
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:20 am

Jewish, and proud of it.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:11 am

OK.. this is one of those topics that could turn south really quick. Keep it clean (no negative comments, attacks, etc.) or it gets locked.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:27 am

Many of my relatives are Christians, mostly Protestant. Many of my wife's relatives are Christians, mostly Catholic, so far as I know. I lost my faith (of any religious kind) when I was very young.

Whether Christian or not, all South Koreans I know are Buddhists and Confucians at the same time. Confucianism is more about values on family life, state institution, learning, making friends, finding the truth, and so on.

There are Protestants, Muslims, Catholics, Buddhists, Confucianists, Mormons, and many other religious people but no serious conflict due to the difference in religion in South Korea. I'm glad that it has been that way so far. I've read part of Talmud and part of the Confucian teachings in Hanja. I've also read part of the Bible, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, both in Korean translation and in English translation. I liked Buddha.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:38 am

me, born again Christian. Believe that Bible is infallible, All are sinners and do not deserve to be in heaven, Jesus came to the world in the form of a man, lived a perfect life, was killed, rose from the dead. The only way to heaven is through him, accept him as saviour, repent of sins.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. --Romans 3:23
That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. -Romans 10:9
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby DawnLoader on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:42 am

Ian is right. This topic has potential to start "mine is better than yours" or similar argument/debate/discussion.

A poll wold have been better, so you may want to compose a poll instead.

So far 23 people have read this post and only one has declared his religion tells us how reluctant people are to reply to this topic.

Some people may be "half and half", so if anyone is then post it.

By the way, I am Muslim. So far I see a Christian, a Jew and a Muslim. Kind of happend in alphabetical order. There should be some Hindus and Buddist here too. Some come on people, let see how diverse we are.

It is good to see that persuit of knowlege in art of burning cds is not limited to any religion. ;)

I have not said anything insulting, or at least I am not aware of it. If you think I have then please accept my appologies in advance.
DawnLoader
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:31 am

I don't think religion or politics should be allowed in forums as Ian said it could turn into a flamewar.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:36 am

Lutheran - http://www.rootsweb.com/~wifloren/stjohnsflorence.html

i agree burninfool, nothing good can come from it
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:45 am

I'm letting it go for now.

I'll throw my 2 cents in as well.

I'm Lutheran.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:47 am

DawnLoader wrote:A poll wold have been better

I orignally wantted to do a Poll but I didn't want to leave anyone out. Saying Christian is so general with all the diffrence churchs. Also their are so many religions that i don't want it to look like my What CPU do you have thread :D
man is that thing a mess :)

hopefully people will respect the topic, (Please no fighting. Just a simple what religion are you. And if your current faith is not the faith you were born into a simple brief of how you became of the faith you are. ) it seems so far, so good
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:51 am

Ian wrote:I'm letting it go for now.

I'll throw my 2 cents in as well.

I'm Lutheran.

right on, my lutheran brother ;)

now just take this glass of kool-aid and drink it, hehe
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:10 am

Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:26 am

lapsed Catholic, with full intent of returning to the faith. I was born into Catholicsm, and I plan to stay Catholic... I'm just not going to church for the moment, but I still believe in my faith (in some ways I guess that makes me worse...).

I have also studdied Buddhism a little, and other of the various sects of Christianity. I find all manners of faith very intriguing, however, in the interests of keeping this clean, I will not share any of my thoughts on these matters, since I'm almost certain to offend at least one or two people, no matter what I say :-?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:45 am

DawnLoader wrote:By the way, I am Muslim. So far I see a Christian, a Jew and a Muslim. Kind of happend in alphabetical order. There should be some Hindus and Buddist here too. Some come on people, let see how diverse we are.

I'm probably more Buddhist than any other member here (especially among those 1000+ posts.) :D

But religion in the West is quite different from religion in this part of the world. Just as in South Korea, politics is mostly about pro-West vs. anti-West or pro-North vs. anti-North while in the US, it is like Republican vs. Democrat or liberal vs. conservative.

Most Buddhists and those who engage in the Confucian traditions in South Korea, Japan, and China do not express about their religions explicitly. So it often seems there are many times more Protestant Christians than Buddhists in South Korea. The truth is that South Korea, North Korea, Japan, China, and Taiwan are countries under Confucianism and Buddhism. It's above religion, above politics, above the constitution, above state priorities, above family values.

To me personally, Confucianism was about how to be a saint, how to practice good deeds without being conscious of it and without making others conscious of it, how to control personal greed for money and sexual desire, how to serve one's parents and state, how to sacrifice oneself for the bigger purposes, how to respect the humble, how to cherish friendship, how to be modest, how to acquire the knowledge of the world and pursuit truth, how to smile at the face of physical threat and disease, how to keep purity and sanity without being compromised. I wanted to make it perfect and imagined a world of such perfected individuals could be as perfect as possible. A lost dream. I waked up one day in the late 1980s and found out all those were simple lies to brainwash us the children of the new dictator state. Now I know a little better and maybe I can propose a better kind of Confucianism that can work in the 21st century information world to this aging society.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:24 pm

I am a Muslim by birth and practice and I am very happy to share this forum with all of you good people!

Montelds, Thanks for your good faith that everyone would post nicely and courteously.

For those who are interested in learning about other faiths and religions, Karen Armstrong comes highly recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 83-3257721

Cheers.
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:51 pm

Agnostic. Previously Catholic with a couple years time spent investigating the major religions of the world after determining Catholicism is largely unsubstantiated archaic practices. After investigation, I found Messianic Judaism and Hinduism to be the least deplorable. But I don't mind anyone believe what they wish as long as they don't attempt to push their beliefs or judge my actions with their beliefs.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:05 pm

<sarcasm>I worship the almighty $$$!!</sarcasm>
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:42 pm

i had no intention of posting here, but since noone else said this:
Atheist
(Jewish by birth, as a tradition/culture/history. not as a religious belief)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:31 pm

hoxlund wrote:now just take this glass of kool-aid and drink it, hehe

LOL!

I was baptized Roman Catholic sometime soon after I was born, but am not practicing. I guess years of watching MY family judging and criticizing others and being high and mighty about it has jaded me. *shrug*
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:48 pm

I hear Plextor tried to start a church... they only had one member though :wink:

(j/k, don't take this seriously PLEASE!)
Last edited by dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:55 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I hear Plextor tried to start a church... they only one member though :wink:

(j/k, don't take this seriously PLEASE!)

Don't even get me started on how stupid that was.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby treemana on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:25 am

I'm Christian, but a little out of practice though.

There are plenty of things about religion that I don't like. (i.e. The Jim/Tammy Baker crowd.)

The aspects of religion that I have come to embrace are the "be a good person" aspects. (i.e. Help thy neighbor, give time/money to worthy charities, be true to your family, don't flame fellow forum members, etc.)

I don't always succeed, but I try.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:59 pm

Well, I too will cast my two bits. I was born a Roman Catholic and baptized as such. I feel religion is one of those things that we really get to know as we are maturing. For me, I believe in God, and that's what is really important. Going to church? Well, I do when I feel I should. I prefer to be there when the church is empty. This way I have the place to myself. As far as all religions go, I think somewhere in there, we all have a common thread. As far as one being better than another, there is no such. The important thing is to respect all, even if do not agree.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby StarKnightGoku on Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:57 am

By birth and baptism I am a Roman Catholic. Up until I was thrown out of my church a few years ago I was forced into attending every week, and going to the church youth group, et cetera, but I didn't enjoy it, and never took any time out of my free time at home for prayer or even really caring. (For the record, I wasn't literally kicked out my church, just asked not to attend anything but mass because of an incident that occured one night at the youth group meeting...I uh...accidentally broke some girl's hand...)

To me, religion isn't a big thing. I don't want to offend anyone by going deep into my feelings on it, since I'm sure I'd offend roughly 45-50% of the people here in some way.

I'll just leave it at the point of if I were to say that I'm adherent to any religion, even loosely, it would most likely be Wicca, or some other form of Pagan religion. I'm a non-practicer of magic, however. I have the interest, but not the time, which is actually ironic because I do nothing aside from school and being at home with my girlfriend (who comes from a Baptist family, but hey, no one's perfect :wink: She classifies herself as Wiccan as well...)

Wow, look at that ramble. Did I actually even SAY anything?
StarKnightGoku
Buffer Underrun

Postby DawnLoader on Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:59 pm

At first I was reluctant to post to this thread because I expected it to turn into a falme war. I also imagined that Ian would be forced to lock this thread and serve warning about religious threads.

I am surprised to realize that this thread is still open after numerous posts and eveyone has posted in non-insulting manner. We are definitely muture here.

I studied Confucianism with various other religions, including beliefs of American Indian/Native American tribs in college. I am so not like Confucious, specially:

Kennyshin wrote:control personal greed for money and sexual desire

I am outa' control!!!!!!
DawnLoader
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to The Beer Garden