Lite-On IT got its start in 1995 when its parent company, Lite-On Technology, gathered a group of scientists and engineers to start an optical storage research and manufacturing business. Lite-On Technology quickly established itself as Taiwan’s largest CD-ROM drive manufacturer and by 1999 the business had spun off into a separate company, Lite-On IT. Since then, Lite-On IT has continued to grow. By working closely with companies like BenQ and Philips, they've expanded into the consumer and automotive electronics markets, becoming the world's second largest ODD manufacturer.
Like most drive manufacturers, Lite-On has begun to focus on the growing Blu-ray Disc market. This summer, the company introduced one of the industry's first 12x Blu-ray Disc rewriters, the iHBS112. Featuring some of the fastest BD reading and writing speeds available, this Serial ATA equipped drive is capable of 12x BD-R, 8x BD-R DL, 6x BD-R LTH and 2x BD-RE writing speeds and a maximum BD-ROM read speed of 8x. The iHBS112 is also backwards compatible with all major CD and DVD formats and includes features like an 8MB buffer and support for Lite-On's SMART-BURN, SmartWrite and OverSpeed technologies.
Needless to say, this is only a taste of what Lite-On's new Blu-ray Disc writer has to offer. To give you an idea of what to expect, we'll take an in-depth look at the iHBS112's features and then see how it compares to some of the Blu-ray Disc writers from Plextor, LG and Pioneer. Does the iHBS112 have what it takes? Is it the fastest Blu-ray Disc writer around? Keep reading to find out.
- Plextor PX-LB950UE External 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- LG BP06LU10 Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- Sony BWU-500S 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- ASUS SBW-06C1S-U Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- Sony BDX-S500U Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- LG UH10LS20 Super Multi Blue 10x Blu-ray Combo Drive
- LG WH10LS30 Super Multi Blue 10x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- Plextor PX-B940SA 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- ASUS SBC-04D1S-U USB 2.0 Blu-ray Combo Drive
- Lite-On iHOS104 4x BD-ROM