When it comes to consumer electronics, there are few names as well known as Sony. For more than 50 years, this Japanese company has lead the way, producing innovative products for the audio, video and computer markets. Sony is no stranger to the optical storage industry either. From the development of the first compact disc standards to the introduction of the first dual format DVD writer, Sony has played a major role in much of the technology used today.
Sony has also been one of the driving forces behind the Blu-ray Disc format. The company offers a wide range of Blu-ray products, including a series of drives for the the portable and desktop computer markets. This fall, Sony announced its new slim external Blu-ray Disc writer, the BDX-S600U. This sleek and lightweight drive is capable of 6x BD-R, 6x BD-R DL and 2x BD-RE writing speeds and a maximum BD-ROM read speed of 6x. On top of that, it offers support for 3 and 4-layer BDXL media, which can hold up to 128GB of data on a single disc. The BDX-S600U is also designed to be powered completely off a computer's USB bus and includes features like a 6MB buffer, Power-Burn buffer underrun protection and CyberLink's Media Suite 8.
Needless to say, this is only a taste of what the BDX-S600U has to offer. To give you an idea of what to expect from Sony's portable Blu-ray Disc writer, we'll take a look at some of the drive's features and then put it through its paces to see how it performs. Is the BDX-S600U the best choice for the person on the go? Read on as we find out.
- LG BH16NS40 16x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- DIGISTOR DIG-79102 Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- LG BH14NS40 14x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- LG BP40NS20 Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- Lite-On eSEU206 Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc Combo Drive
- LG BH12LS38 Super Multi Blue 12x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- Samsung SE-406A Portable 6x Blu-ray Combo Drive
- Plextor PX-LB950UE External 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer
- LG BP06LU10 Portable 6x Blu-ray Disc ReWriter
- Sony BWU-500S 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer