I'm posting this in the main KProbe2 thread. Ian- if you think it's inappropriate, feel free to move it.
I've been playing with KProbe2 a bit and want to pass on some positive surprises (in addition to "well known" new features) and a bug:
- the speed for scanning is saved per disk type, e.g. CD: max, DVD: 1x is remembered, independent of the drive
- the drive used for scanning is also remembered- this was an old wish on my part
- KProbe2, unlike KProbe(1), refuses to scan CDR's in my DVD drive (LTD 163). This is a Good Thing, because it avoids misunderstandings.
- KProbe2 and KProbe(1) coexist so well, that you can scan 2 discs simultaneously in 2 drives, one with each tool
- and I just tried 2 instances of KProbe2 simultaneously, one per drive, and that works too
- the new option to combine the 2 charts is really nice. To resize the combined chart to the size of one partial chart, just tweak any edge of the window- the size of the chart snaps into place
Many thanks Karr!!!
The bug is related to the combined charts (only for DVD's as far as I can tell, CD's combine fine). I scanned a dual layer pressed DVD (which KProbe couldn't handle) with my DVD-ROM drive because I don't have a DVD burner (yet). The bug also shows on a normal DVD+R.
Here is the scan with separate charts:
and here is the combined chart:
The PO values seem to be OK, but the PI Sum 8 values are compressed into the first 15% (roughly) of the combined chart. This can also be seen on the scale. The second labeled value 1ED017h is too large: it falls between the 6th and 7th values (19CE06h and 1FE1B0h). The labels should be increasing monotonically.