Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Dolphin Longevity Test 3.0 Prep

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:32 pm

Would anyone be interested in a similar test conducted by me with some DL media?

It would have to be done with my PX-716A though, as I don't have any other drives. A friend of mine has a BenQ 1655 I believe, which I might be able to use for some burning.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby [buck] on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:35 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Would anyone be interested in a similar test conducted by me with some DL media?

It would have to be done with my PX-716A though, as I don't have any other drives. A friend of mine has a BenQ 1655 I believe, which I might be able to use for some burning.

You can never have too much aging data :D
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:48 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:All of a sudden I also have the urge to find some way to include Princo media :lol:

You should know that it's not possible in case of 16x media. #-o
Because You wanted 5 pieces.
And there is only 1 Princo 16x disc why does it else have the MID
PRINCORGM1 which stands for as you should know Princo Really Good Media 1 (piece) ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:50 am

aviationwiz wrote:Would anyone be interested in a similar test conducted by me with some DL media?

PX-716A firmware most likely doesn't have strategies for most newer 8x Dual layers.
Benq 1655 does.

I think it might be good to not start this test now when quite 8x some dual layer are most likely hitting the market in the following months but everybodies free to make there choices.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby ricoman on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:39 pm

I would like to see some ricoh media, particulary ricoh jpnro1. Those of us that have been burning for years probably used a lot of those 4x media. They were used by Maxell and many other companies for a long time.
ricoman
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:58 pm

ricoman wrote:I would like to see some ricoh media, particulary ricoh jpnro1. Those of us that have been burning for years probably used a lot of those 4x media. They were used by Maxell and many other companies for a long time.

That's one I can honestly say there is no chance of it being included. It's not even available anywhere to purchase anymore... and in 2 years the results of the test will be even LESS important then they would be today.

Sorry :(
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:54 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
ricoman wrote:I would like to see some ricoh media, particulary ricoh jpnro1. Those of us that have been burning for years probably used a lot of those 4x media. They were used by Maxell and many other companies for a long time.

That's one I can honestly say there is no chance of it being included. It's not even available anywhere to purchase anymore... and in 2 years the results of the test will be even LESS important then they would be today.

You should stop by one of the local CompUSA stores here in Atlanta. They have plenty of Fuji 4x DVD+R 50 disc spindles!
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:50 pm

Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

You should stop by one of the local CompUSA stores here in Atlanta. They have plenty of Fuji 4x DVD+R 50 disc spindles!

There's a big problem with that... mainly that I'm not IN Atlanta, or even the USA :P

Furthermore, RICOHJPNR01 is not made anymore, and that's not likely to change in the next 2 years.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:51 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:

Hence why I asked for RICOHJPNR03 :wink: :P
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:54 am

there still is a lot of 4x ricoh media on the european market currently.
Branded as Philips selling for arround 25-30 euro's for 100 pcs.

So it's still available. But it's relevance can be questioned.
I say better get ricohjpnr03 !
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:43 pm

The first post has been updated with some new info.

My Temperature/Humidity checker arrived today too :D

And in case anyone misses it, the Verbatim Ultralife Gold 8x DVD-Rs are made by Prodisc.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:56 am

CMC -> HP or Memorex.
Or all the fancy coloured overprints we have in europe or Datawrite or ...

But HP and Memorex are currently the most safe options.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:49 am

First post has now been updated to include the details of all finalized media samples.

8 out of 26 spaces now officially filled :wink:

Oddly, Maxell and Princo have not responded to my request for samples... and MAM-A is taking longer then expected to send their samples. MBIL and some European sent media is still en route.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Just updated the first post again, with some more media that is now finalized and will be appearing in the study for sure. Interestingly enough, the stamper code for the Nexxtech 16x DVD-Rs and the Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs is the same!

Nexxtech media has been added as requested :wink: (not to mention I was personally curious!).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:15 pm

A few more discs have been added to the first post, and some potential discs have been removed. I'm just about down to the last discs I'm expecting in from various suppliers (Maxell, [buck], Philips, Emtec, and MAM-A).

I still have 1 disc too many too... something will need to be weeded out. But on the whole, I think the study is fairly well rounded. The Maxell Consumer and Nexxtech discs fill in an important consumer level space that was left empty in my original plans.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:00 am

dolphinius_rex wrote: I'm just about down to the last discs I'm expecting in from various suppliers (Maxell, [buck], Philips, Emtec, and MAM-A).

Hmm since when has Buck his own media ??
I guess made in Canada ?
Or is he outsourcing and then who is making it for him:TY or Princo ???
I guess the MID is BUCKRG1 ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I still have 1 disc too many too...

If you run out of letters to characterize the media, you can use numbers to get up to 36.

The usual workaround with the Greek and Hebrew alphabets that physicists and mathematicians use may not be feasible unless you're into Unicode...

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:12 pm

MediumRare wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:I still have 1 disc too many too...

If you run out of letters to characterize the media, you can use numbers to get up to 36.

The usual workaround with the Greek and Hebrew alphabets that physicists and mathematicians use may not be feasible unless you're into Unicode...

G

The alphabetical limitation is only one of the reasons why 26 was chosen as my upper limit... but it's a good point none the less. I have a feeling one of my disc types will end up being dropped in the end though.

Nice to see you back again by the way!! Now you can finish convincing me to use DVDScan in my tests :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:18 am

MediumRare wrote:The usual workaround with the Greek and Hebrew alphabets that physicists and mathematicians use may not be feasible unless you're into Unicode...

Hebrew?
there isn't too much of that...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MediumRare on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:07 pm

dodecahedron wrote:Hebrew?

Actually, the only use I'm aware of is Aleph-0 (or 1), but's that more than other alphabets :wink: (e.g. Cyrillic or Hangul).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:18 pm

MediumRare wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:Hebrew?

Actually, the only use I'm aware of is Aleph-0 (or 1), but's that more than other alphabets :wink: (e.g. Cyrillic or Hangul).

yep, that's the only uses i'm aware of (as well as just Aleph, without an index).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:17 am

I've updated the first post again.... just 3 more discs left, and only 2 of them get official spots in the test.

This would be a good time to argue for one type over the other. The final decision will be made in about 15 hours or so.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:04 am

My votes are for
Maxel BQ and maxell consumer (RICOH)
(Okay and prodiscR04 :P )
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:17 pm

Ok, I now have Maxell BQ and Maxell Plus Series media in hand. Getting the replacements for the Maxell DVD+R consumer (RICOHJPNR03) will be difficult, but probably doable (but not until Tuesday).

I'll need some convincing arguments at this point to swap the Maxell DVD+R media in.

Keep in mind, I can still burn it and test it, and keep an eye on it for 2 years... I just won't have it in the main study, or have it included in the CATS testing.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:00 pm

I've updated the first post again. It now includes the final list of media used in the longevity study. I will be burning the media starting today, and I've purchased the latest season of Simpsons to keep me busy while waiting for burns to complete (yes, even *I* eventually get bored watching discs burn and test....)

I'm still looking for suggestions on which disc should be tested on the CATS Analyzer. The disc burned in the Pioneer, the disc burned in the BenQ, or the disc burned in the Panasonic.

It's worth mentioning that the reason I decided to not test the Maxell Plus Series DVD-Rs is because they turned out to be Taiyo Yuden TYG02 media!! But the Maxell BQ media I have is proper Maxell stuff, and may even be the better choice for this test in the long run.

Wish me luck folks! :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to Recordable Media Discussion