Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink,What's the difference?

Anything else

DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink,What's the difference?

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:37 am

I use DVD Shrink 95% of the time to compress and weed out subtitles,menus and other extras on a dvd.My question is,what is the difference between dvd shrink and dvd decrypter?I've used dvd decrypter 2 or 3 times and all I can see that it does is decrypt and rip the movie to the HD.DVD Shrink does everything at once.Kinda of an all in one package.Why would you need DVD Decrypter at all if DVD Shrink does everything you need?I'm not knocking DVD Decrypter or anything I just don't see why it's used so much.I ask 'cause I read a lot of posts and people seem to use DVD Decrypter quite a bit.Can someone tell me what Decrypter does better than Shrink?

:roll:

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:43 am

Basically, DVD Decrypter is a 'ripper' and DVD Shrink is a 'transcoder'. To be perfectly true, this is an oversimplyfication but I think you'll get the point. DVD Shrink can be used to fit the contents of a DVD-9 on a DVD-5 since it re-encodes the video.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby treemana on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:41 am

I normally use DVD Decrypter to rip the files to my hard drive, and then use DVD Shrink to reencode the files on the hard drive. I believe this reduces "wear and tear" on my DVD drive since the drive is only accessed during the ripping step as opposed to the entire ripping/analyzing/reencoding process.

After that, I'll view the results in WinDVD, and if all is well, I'll burn the DVD with Nero.

Then grab some popcorn ...
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
treemana
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:50 am

Doesn't dvd shrink rip also?Both Decrypter and Shrink break the encryption in the movie and place it on the HD.Isn't that ripping?Sometimes when I find a movie that's less than 4.37 gb I just rip with dvd shrink as is(no compression).I read about transcoding this morning and was wondering is the quality any less or more with either program?I haven't seen any difference,is there?

:o

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:39 pm

Yes, DVD Shrink can rip it too. I don't bother using DVD Decrypter anymore. It's easier to do it all in one shot with DVD Shrink.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby gceusa on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:28 pm

[quote="Ian"]Yes, DVD Shrink can rip it too. I don't bother using DVD Decrypter anymore. It's easier to do it all in one shot with DVD Shrink.[/quote]

I'm new to all this myself, but I read that DVD Shrink may have problems ripping some movies. In that case then use DVD Decrypter.
Last edited by gceusa on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gceusa
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:40 pm

treemana wrote:I normally use DVD Decrypter to rip the files to my hard drive, and then use DVD Shrink to reencode the files on the hard drive. I believe this reduces "wear and tear" on my DVD drive since the drive is only accessed during the ripping step as opposed to the entire ripping/analyzing/reencoding process.

your words imply that DVD Shrink accesses the DVD not only during the ripping stage but also afterwards, after the ripping is done.

is this true? doesn't really make sense (to me), since all the data is on the hard drive, why need to access the DVD again?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MikeTR on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:42 pm

Ian wrote:Yes, DVD Shrink can rip it too. I don't bother using DVD Decrypter anymore. It's easier to do it all in one shot with DVD Shrink.

Entirely true, Shrink does it all. I mainly use DVD Decripter in combination with some other programs (like DVD2DVD).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:58 pm

gceusa wrote:I'm new to all this myself, but I read that DVD Shrink may have problems ripping some movies. In that case then use DVD Decrypter.

I do the same especially with multi-angle movies(ie. Disney).If the DVD is DVD-5 then I use DVDDecrypter to rip in ISO mode and burn but very few DVD's are DVD-5(<4.7GB).
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:31 pm

Very interesting. I always have used DVD Decryptor to rip, and then DVDShrink to convert from DVD-9 to DVD-5 as well.

I like the fact that DVD Decryptor makes an exact copy onto the hard drive, which I can then play with to make different resolutions with DVD Shrink without having to have the DVD in the drive.

I don't believe DVD Shrink saves an exact copy onto the hard drive, if you choose to shrink it initially. You'll need the original DVD if you want a different resolution.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:22 pm

I haven't used DVD Decrypter to ISO anything yet.Haven't tried that function in it.To ISO a dvd less than 4.7 I use a program called DCS dvd copy suite.Works every time.It also has a great compression engine too.Works just like DVD Shrink.Good program.
I noticed that "finding nemo"had both the fullscreen and wide screen version available in the dvd set.I chose the full screen and analyzed it with DVD Shrink and most of the DVD was Extra features and deleted scenes etc..The movie itself was 3.5 gb.So I used DVD Shrink to just write the movie as is to the HD(No compression).Excellent results.This example was one of the reasons I was wondering why DVD Decrypter was so popular.Why use it when DVD Shrink does it all for you.

8)

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:38 pm

you guys are doing things way harder than you need to, dvdshrink does rip and if you want or need to, it also encodes it to fit on 1 dvd-+r

the whole not wearing out your dvd-rom is nonsense, either way your using your dvd-rom the same amount

and yes dvdshrink can do a exact copy and put it on your hard drive, thats what the program was made for, and if the dvd doesn't fit when you use dvd decryptor? then you use dvdshrink, so why not cut out the 1st step?
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:44 pm

Exactly!!!!! 8)
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:46 pm

hmm i will hav to try out this DCS dvd copy suite, got a link?
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:59 pm

hoxlund wrote:hmm i will hav to try out this DCS dvd copy suite, got a link?

http://www.d-c-s.info/
FYI: DCS uses the same transcoding engine as DVD95Copy.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:03 pm

is this freeware like dvdshrink is?
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:11 pm

hoxlund wrote:is this freeware like dvdshrink is?

Nope, that's the beauty of DVDShrink: It's the best one-click solution there is and it's free 8).
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:33 pm

DCS DVD Copy Suite isn't free.Better than 321 studios product by a long shot though.I believe it's a German product.It also has the ability to burn to DVD straight from ISO and a compressed file on your hard drive.Not "on the fly" but right after you rip the DVD it starts the burn from image or file.It really works great!!!!!!
There are places you can get DCS other than http://www.d-c-s.info/ :wink:

Try it.It really works.
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:02 pm

just installed so i will try it
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:10 pm

haha what a load of crap, that program doesn't decrypt the movie says:

"You are not allowed to copy protected media!"

forget this program

it also can't see usb drives, i had to put movie in my plextor, which is like half the rip speed of my JLMS 166s
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:47 pm

I can't understand why it would say that.I use DVD Shrink most but I've never had a problem with DCS.If your talkin' about DCS,what version are you using?I have about 5 examples in front of me and they all ripped and play fine on all my dvd players!!!!!!!!!Doesn't make sense.

:o

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:59 pm

you sure your ripping CSS protected dvds and not regular dvd movies that happen not to be CSS protected
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:52 pm

Just practiced with a flick and it definately had the CSS goin' on and success.Perfect on a DVD+RW.
To be sure,what program are you usin'? :o

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:45 am

already uninstalled, from what ive seen dvd shrink is better, has more options, menu cutting, dvd split, take out credits

best of all its freeware
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:14 am

hoxlund wrote:already uninstalled, from what ive seen dvd shrink is better, has more options, menu cutting, dvd split, take out credits

best of all its freeware

If you feel the need to try something else than Shrink, take a look at this guide: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/ra-guide.htm.
It's more difficult than the usual one-click solutions, but if it's quality you're after there is no better alternative.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to General Software Questions