Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Fed Ex Sucks

What was that?

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:36 pm

I'm back! LOL.

So I have 2 UPS packages to be picked up here. Give them a time frame from 4:15-5:15.

About 5:05'ish they call and say they can't find my house, I give them more directions.

At 5:15, my neighbor comes over to get some mail that we picked up for them while they were out of town, as he's leaving a second later, UPS is driving by, so he points to my house and the driver (my regular driver) stops and comes and picks up my packages.

Afterwards, I go to check my pickup status, and it says:

package(s). If you still need to have your package(s) picked up,
please reschedule your pickup at UPS.com or 1-800-PICK-UPS.

It still wasn't exactly canceled, so I quickly canceled it.

Moral of the story? Thank god you don't have to rely on UPS OnCall Pickup Drivers to deliver your packages, you might never get them!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:09 pm

okay, after being repeatedly asked to post this story, I have decided to share my most recent FedEx experience with everyone. I'm sure it will hit a little closer to home with people here, then it would on many other forums.

17 boxes, each box containing 300pcs of Taiyo Yuden's 8x DVD+Rs (Shiny silver) were shipped out on September 27th 2004, from Chanhassen MN. They were shipped via FedEx Ground.

The boxes were received on October 6th, a little later then I would have expected... but that not the problem.

At first, it looked like the boxes had been beaten up pretty badly, but that was all. A couple big holes, a bunch of large dents, and generally rather large amounts of scuffing all over the boxes.

As the boxes were unloaded out of the FedEx truck, they were inspected, and put into piles. The person who was receiving the boxes for me noticed that one of the boxes (*ONLY* one box) had masking tape placed over top of the FedEx label that is added at the point of pickup when FedEx gets the packages from the person shipping them. Upon opening the box, it was quickly noticed that the box was missing one spindle of DVD+Rs.

My best guess is that someone in FedEx decided he wanted some Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs for himself, and relieved us of a spindle. That's the only way we could explain the masking tape being placed on top of the FedEx label. The people who shipped them to me of course swear that the boxes were shipped complete.

FedEx wanted me to reject the whole shipment, just because of that box... I couldn't do that, as the DVDRs were needed immediatly. I hope that FedEx is never used to ship products to me ever again... [-X

I suppose it could be argued that FedEx employees at least have good taste in blank media though... :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:14 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:were shipped out on September 27th 2004, from Chanhassen MN. They were shipped via FedEx Ground.

The boxes were received on October 6th, a little later then I would have expected... but that not the problem.

Actually, that's right on time for FedEx Ground from the MSP area up to you, FedEx Ground Intl is 1 day longer than UPS Standard from me up to you.

This thread is growing, LOL, it's almost nearing it's first birthday.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:33 pm

standard shipping time for me is about 5 business days, sometimes 6. Obviously not with FedEx though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:14 pm

Again, they driver released something they shouldn't have, and I actually want to refuse this package. Called them up, explained the situation, they said I could just bring it to the FedEx hub (right next to my synagouge) and that's that. I have to admit, their phone support is excellent.

What concerns me?

On the tracking, it says "No signature required - release waiver on file"
and I can assure you, I never signed a release waiver.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:37 pm

that *IS* concerning! :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:29 am

So...when should I start to worry?

I brought it in to refuse it yesterday, like I was told to, but nothing has shown up on tracking yet.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:29 am

OK, Wiz, Check This!

I sent a busted hard drive into Seagate on RMA. They logged it in today and noted that a replacement is going out tomorrow via DHL.

Well, I've got a tracking number and we'll see how they do as compared to FedEx and UPS. :D

OK, just checked it. DHL picked it up this aft. @5:53, Texas time.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:29 am

DHL is inconsistent with making deliveries, & with obtaining signatures. Similar to FedEx in the regard to signatures. DHL, at least here, will claim they made a delivery attempt, when no such attempt was actually made. Furthermore, the tracking just stinks.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:01 pm

I notice that with the tracking. So far only the pick-up in McAllen, TX noted.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:42 pm

Oh-oh, Wiz. I just checked the tracking on my Seagate drive coming back from Texas via DHL. The driver is at a Pilot truckstop outside of El Paso having chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes slavered with country gravy. :o

Slim
Who is waiting patiently.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:51 pm

Wiz, we've got a problem! Crossing the parking lot, the driver encountered a self-employed businesswoman specializing in short term, personal service contracts.............................he's PULLING OUT HIS wallet..................she's got $50 in her hand............................she's getting into the sleeper cab with him.........................he's PULLING OUT HIS.................... :^o

Slim
Whose patience is being tested. :(
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:30 pm

CowboySlim wrote:Wiz, we've got a problem! Crossing the parking lot, the driver encountered a self-employed businesswoman specializing in short term, personal service contracts.............................he's PULLING OUT HIS wallet..................she's got $50 in her hand............................she's getting into the sleeper cab with him.........................he's PULLING OUT HIS.................... :^o

hard drive ?

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Yeah, Seagate hard drive that I had about less than a year.

That truck should be west of Phoenix by now.

How 'bout it, Good Buddy, whereyat? Rogee that, 10-4, over and out.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:03 pm

DHL tracking says that it is at my front door as promised a week ago. Gotta' get home before that a__hole across the street grabs it.

Slim
Who thinks that we should move DHL to the top of the list.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:52 pm

Wow...

DHL: $39 CAD
Purolator: $17.50 CAD

guess which one we went with? :roll:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:07 am

OK, my Seagate was at the door when I got home. In this machine now.

Purolater $17.50, no way Jose!

I get Fram at Pep Boys for $4.00.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:58 pm

DHL's inconsistency & lack of decent tracking will make it difficult for them to redeem themselves.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:29 pm

Here's a new one. FedEx made their first delivery attempt, and claimed it was their second.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:04 am

OK, Wiz, you got that right. DHL does need to improve their tracking and their drivers do need training. Now, the package from Texas arrived as scheduled, i.e., on time. However, the ding dong DHL delivery driver left it right, smack dab in middle of the entry way where it was visible from the street.

The following day a package arrived, also as scheduled, from Ohio via UPS. Now this guy had enough on the ball to put it behind the planter and a hose reel on the side of the entryway where it was not visible from the street.

10-4, over and out,
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:19 pm

OK, Wiz, hang on to your hat for this one!

I ordered something from Newegg yesterday and opted for their Fedex saver fare. They picked it up today at a distro center in the City of Industry, CA (that's up there like you're going to BuddhaTB's) which is no more than 50 mi. away from my house.

Estimated to be here by 4:30PM, Thursday. That is about 2/3 of a mile per hour. Is it coming by skateboard?

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:53 am

Checked Fedex: Arrived at their facility here in town, less 2 miles and two traffic lights from my house. This will take 54 hours?

Slim
Who wonders if he could go down there and pick it up himself?
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:09 pm

Checked Fedex tracking again: Out on a truck for delivery!

Going to be here two days early. Fedex is the best ever!

Slim
Who has to run down, grab a shower, get dressed and get to the front door.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:41 pm

OK, Wiz, here are the final results:

Fedex delivered 3/4 hour ago in my entry way, but on the side and out of street view, 2 days and 6 hours earlier than initially estimated.

So, my overall ratings for deliveries in this past week are (with one being best):

1. Fedex: Outstanding service above and beyond expectations; 54 hours early; package left out of sight.

2. UPS: Good service for everyday to day living; on time delivery as estimated; package left out of sight.

3. DHL: Good start for a new player in the game but needs improvement; on time delivery as estimated; package left in sight from street.

Slim
Who will now move onto other areas of scientific investigation.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:38 pm

Slim,

City of Industry to your location is a 1 day Ground transit time area, so of course it only took 1 day with Express Saver!

The FedEx tracking information should have never had an estimated date of 3 days for those zip code pairs, but their tracking is only so-so, so go figure.

It's the same thing as if you shipped UPS 3 Day Select with the same zip code pairs, it would be a waste of money over Ground, but I suspect they would still let you do it, more profit for them. I think their tracking would show the next day delivery, not 3 days.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

PreviousNext

Return to Rants n' Raves