Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Fed Ex Sucks

What was that?

Postby BoGMan1a on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:31 pm

CowboySlim wrote:Oh-oh, Wiz. I just checked the tracking on my Seagate drive coming back from Texas via DHL. The driver is at a Pilot truckstop outside of El Paso having chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes slavered with country gravy. :o

Slim
Who is waiting patiently.

Heck, you should have him bring you some of that too! Maybe a buttermilk biscuit and a slice of pecan pie to round out the meal =P~ , dang I miss Texas now!
Main Computer:
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD Athlon XP2500
1Gb PC3200
6600GT AGP
BENQ 1620
NEC 3500AG
Lite-on 52246S
Lite-on LTC-48161H
1 Tb of internal HDD space
750+ Gb external storage
Dual Boot Win2000Pro/XP Home
BoGMan1a
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:26 am

Hey, BoGMan1a, I know where you'rat. I used to live up north. Not more than 20mi from where Wiz lives. It's a good place to start - makes you tough from day 1. :D

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:04 pm

Just got a FedEx shipment today, I signed for it using a regular pen & paper. :o

I thought they were with the rest of us here in the 21st century, I thought all their drivers had DIADs, guess not.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:09 pm

Here we go again with their crap:

Code: Select all
Jan 22, 2005   6:18 PM
At dest sort facility   
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 

Should have been out for delivery today, but NO! Can't increase customer satisfaction, that would be terrible!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:02 pm

OK, just... wtf.

My suburb is St. Louis Park, and my FedEx Express hub is St. Louis Park too.

Jan 27, 2005 6:34 am
Left FedEx Ramp
MINNEAPOLIS MN

6:33 am
Arrived at FedEx Ramp
MINNEAPOLIS MN

6:30 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
ST. LOUIS PARK MN

6:27 am
Arrived at FedEx Destination Location
ST. LOUIS PARK MN
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:08 am

Hey, I know this St. Louis Park, I had an aunt that lived on Dakota St. I used to spend summers there. It takes a long time to get from Minneapolis to St. Louis Park. Particualrly if you have to take the Franklin Ave. bus from Hennepin St.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:47 pm

I just happened to be reading this thread for no apparent reason yesterday, and now have my very own "WTF?!" FedEx tracking... this is a package from ZipZoomFly, with guaranteed 2 day shipping. (I must note, I've had the least problems with FedEx of any of the carriers, although they've done boneheaded things, like nearly refusing to let me pick up a package that they told me WAS unloaded and WAS waiting-- because it was a day early and they couldn't release it before the scheduled delivery date. That was the official excuse. They did eventually let me get it, since I went to the hub location, waited in line, and was then told they couldn't release it after I called and they told me they WOULD release it. Took a bit of convincing, though...). But generally, the FedEx drivers and customer service people seem a lot more professional and courteous than UPS, and maybe it's just because I'm in Los Angeles, stuff gets here really fast. UPS is obsessed with not delivering early to me (I've watched packages sit in my local hub for 25+ hours just so they can't go out early), whereas Fedex *usually* does let stuff come early.

But here's my tracking. From Oakland to northern Los Angeles:
Feb 2, 2005
7:53 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery NORTH HILLS CA
7:00 am Arrived at FedEx Destination Location NORTH HILLS CA
5:41 am Left FedEx Sort Facility LOS ANGELES CA
2:29 am Arrived at Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN

Feb 1, 2005
5:35 am Left FedEx Sort Facility OAKLAND CA
2:15 am Left FedEx Ramp OAKLAND CA

Jan 31, 2005
10:53 pm Arrived at FedEx Ramp OAKLAND CA
5:42 pm Left FedEx Origin Location UNION CITY CA
12:32 pm Arrived at Sort Facility LOS ANGELES CA
9:27 am Pickup status UNION CITY CA

-- WTF?! That first arrival in LA has to be a mistake, but why did it go to Indianapolis overnight?!?! (if it really did, it's possibly a mistake as well, but 2 location errors in one tracking?) I've never seen that before in packages from Northern California...
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:49 pm

DHL sucks...

Despite my assurances to the contrary, DHL is 100% convinced that my apartment does not exist. When I mentioned that I return home just fine every day after work, they reminded me that their driver was quite experienced in that area since he had been driving the route for several years now.

Whew, I'm glad they cleared THAT up for me! :roll:

I ended up getting them to deliver the package to my workplace, but now I have to carry the box home on the bus :evil:

So far UPS, FedEx, Purolator, and Canada Post all have never had a problem finding my apartment... not even once!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:02 pm

*ARGGH* FedEx Ground. Not as bad as DHL, but I just don't like this.

Pacakge delivery missed today, so I call them up, and ask them if I can pick it up later today. Since the drivers are "independent contractors" they don't have a way of contacting them during the day, and, they don't have a location where I can pick it up, unlike FedEx Express, UPS, DHL, USPS, *EVERYONE*

They claim they will attempt delivery when I'm at home tomorrow, I sure hope so.

The reason why I add quotes the the part about independent contractors is because they are classified as that for tax, wage, and benefit purposes, and is just another way that FedEx cheats the drivers out of what they deserve. They are treated much more like employees than indpendent contractors.

Also today, UPS had in the tracking info for an NDA Saver package to me as late plane, and adverse weather causing the delay. I was quite pissed off...until I got home and it was waiting on my porch for me, delivered on time.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:22 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
I ended up getting them to deliver the package to my workplace, but now I have to carry the box home on the bus :evil:

I sure hope it's not Wiz's schoolbus that you take. :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:23 am

CowboySlim wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

I sure hope it's not Wiz's schoolbus that you take. :P

I somehow doubt that his bus would want to travel out of country to pick me up :wink:

And I think I'm a little old for that kind of bus now anyways :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm

aviationwiz wrote:*ARGGH* FedEx Ground. Not as bad as DHL, but I just don't like this.

Pacakge delivery missed today, so I call them up, and ask them if I can pick it up later today. Since the drivers are "independent contractors" they don't have a way of contacting them during the day, and, they don't have a location where I can pick it up, unlike FedEx Express, UPS, DHL, USPS, *EVERYONE*

Actually, this varies quite a bit. UPS has a horrible setup for picking things up. You can't call ahead of the first delivery attempt to say you'll pick it up instead. They have to attempt delivery of it once. Whereupon you have to sign the slip they stuck to your door saying you'll pick it up. Which means they actually have to attempt delivery TWICE. I had this kind of runaround many times, and combined with the fact that the UPS pickup center is across town from me with no direct route (so a 25-30min. drive through traffic) and I've stopped using UPS whenever possible, and gone to FedEx, who is not only much closer, but always pulls their shipments from the truck in the evening, so I can pick the item up. When I have to order something shipped UPS, I get it shipped to work (which is dangerous because our current driver couldn't take good care of a package if his life depended on it).

In my case, I've had such good luck with FedEx that I finally signed the waiver (I don't trust UPS enough to do this). They know where my door is (explicit instructions on the waiver form let me tell them so it's there for all time now), it's hidden from plain view of anyone who could take the package, and I've never had a screwup in three years.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:23 pm

I would hope they know where your door is!

UPS has a bad system in the sense that they have to attempt delivery once, but you can take the InfoNotice number, and either call them or go online and tell them to hold it at the UPS Center for pickup, they will then give you an address where it's at. You can also pick it up same day if it's important, but unlike FedEx Express, since everything is on one truck, they get back later, meaning there is a very small time window in which you can get your package same day. FedEx Express gives you several hours.

In my case, I essentialy have 3-4 chaces to get a UPS package.

1. Delivery at the office
2. Delivery at home
3. Daily Pickup at the office
4. I know where he goes around 4-5 PM

That only works because we now have the same driver at home and at work.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 am

OK, Wiz, this is just the FedEx pits:

Mar 31, 2005 8:49 am

Package status

HUNTINGTON BEACH CA

Package not due for delivery

7:22 am

Arrived at FedEx Destination Location

HUNTINGTON BEACH CA

3:30 am

Left FedEx Sort Facility

LOS ANGELES CA

There it is, scheduled delivery date is Monday, April 4th. Since 7:22 this morning it has been sitting in the local facility which is 2 miles from my house.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:49 am

aviationwiz wrote:I would hope they know where your door is!

Not that easy, I live in a duplex and our door is hidden from plain view. People who know where we live know where the door is, a newbie delivery person would not and would deliver to the other side of the duplex, unless they were informed by the FedEx instructions. It hasn't been a problem though.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:22 pm

OK, it came today, which was still earlier than the projected date of Monday and it was the Newegg 99 cent supersaver. I guess that I really can't complain. :lol:
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:52 am

ARGH! Just needed to rant in the thread.

My main-- but ancient -- rig's main hard drive died over the weekend. It was an Atlas 10K, that was about 5.5 years old, so I can't blame it. (I say "main", it actually was just the C: drive, which I don't have Windows installed on, but it needs it to boot).

I ordered a replacement Atlas 15K drive from ZipZoomFly. Stupid thing came defective, re-labelled Dell, looked like it had been beat up. Died within 15 minutes of plugging it in.

So while I am trying to take care of that, I ordered another 15K from CDW (Who have been very good to me, both in work and personal orders). I get it with FedEx overnight shipping to be sure I have it by the weekend.

Wellllllll.... it made it from Chicago to Indianapolis, and somehow missed apparently the ONLY flight from Indy-LA, so the guy I talked to at FedEx pretty much said it missed and no attempt will be made to get it to me til tomorrow. He was as NON-apologetic and NON-helpful as they get. He seemed upset at me for not being thrilled they'd try to redeliver the next day (after I paid for OVERNIGHT). The problem is, I made special arrangements to get it shipped to my work, where NO ONE will be tomorrow.

So I called CDW. They were very nice, and agreed to do a call-back of that drive and shipped me ANOTHER drive overnight, this time to my home.

Now FedEx is sitting on THAT drive at CDW's local station! For an order I placed before noon Chicago time, that has to be in LA by noon tomorrow. I seriously doubt I am going to get it. I don't even want to bother calling FedEx as I know the answer I'm going to get...

I have a feeling CDW may have sat on the order a little too long but it sure doesn't appear that FedEx is lifting a finger to even try to get it to me.

I've generally had good FedEx luck but if they miss 2 overnight deliveries on 2 consecutive days I'm going to be a bit pissed... (As my computer just sits there dead....)

Figures I've never set up my faster computer (Which is more gaming/video stuff) to be a "central" machine.. like for email and such... I'm getting tired of Webmail after 5 days of it...
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:24 pm

Just as an update, the overnight/Saturday delivery DID work, I actually got the drive before 10am! That's almost faster than if I had stumbled out of bed and leisurely gotten myself to Fry's to buy one locally this morning... =D>

Unfortunately, the "recalled" drive didn't get recalled and instead, they attempted delivery this morning.. sigh... so I get to figure out how to make sure no one at work 'helpfully' signs for it before I can refuse it....
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:43 pm

Well, that does it for me. No more worry about FedEx, or UPS, or DHL, or USPS. It's all off the table for me. You see, with my last FedEx delivery, I now have everything there is to have, even more that Hox and JamieW combined. So that's it - as far as buying more stuff, I'm out of the game! :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:47 pm

so far out of Purolator, UPS, FedEx and DHL, the ONLY one that hasn't called me up at least once, to tell me that my apartment/suite does not exist, is UPS. Both FedEx and Purolator were doing well, but both managed to screw it up within one or two weeks of each other. The funny thing is that I probably get the same amount of UPS shipments per year as I do the other couriers combined... so it's not that they have more oppurtunities to screw it up, they are simply more inept. DHL was more then happy to assure me that their driver had been running the route for quite some time now, and was QUITE sure the address did not exist. At that point I was curious as to what address I had woken up in earlier that day.... :o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:29 pm

Some more excellent geography work from FedEx. Went from Shanghai, China to Paris, France...coming to me in Minneapolis, MN, USA.

Jul 15, 2005   10:45 PM
In transit   
PARIS FR 

1:25 AM
Picked up
SHANGHAI CN 
Package received after FedEx cutoff

From a friend of mine:
[17:26] JT: haha
[17:26] JT: is it still the lance one?
[17:26] JT: maybe that's why
[17:26] JT: it has to get that autograph

------------------------------------------------

It's the HP Special Edition L2000, Lance Armstrong Livestrong one, in case you don't get the quote.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:48 pm

Well, for going the long way around the world, it sure got here fast. 5:12 AM arrival in MSP.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby seaegg on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:57 am

I have sat at home all day on my day off waiting for a scheduled UPS delivery which never came only to track it online and see the Driver said 1st delivery attempt made no one home. Well when I called UPS I must admit I lost it and went totally ballistic. Reason being I guess because I saw a Canada Post postman walk up to my mailbox with a delivery notice card put it in the mailbox without opening my gate and ringing the doorbell. You guys are going to laugh but I chased that sucker down on foot and him in his car. The poor fella probably never heard curse words like that in his life since I'm from Barbados and speak really fast when I'm angry or excited. If I had to choose between UPS and FedEx I'd choose Purolator. :lol: i've had nothing but excellent service from them. NCIX and now Future Shop are using them.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:58 am

seaegg wrote:I have sat at home all day on my day off waiting for a scheduled UPS delivery which never came only to track it online and see the Driver said 1st delivery attempt made no one home. Well when I called UPS I must admit I lost it and went totally ballistic. Reason being I guess because I saw a Canada Post postman walk up to my mailbox with a delivery notice card put it in the mailbox without opening my gate and ringing the doorbell. You guys are going to laugh but I chased that sucker down on foot and him in his car. The poor fella probably never heard curse words like that in his life since I'm from Barbados and speak really fast when I'm angry or excited. If I had to choose between UPS and FedEx I'd choose Purolator. :lol: i've had nothing but excellent service from them. NCIX and now Future Shop are using them.

I would have done the same! Lazy bastard!! And yeah, Purolator is usually pretty good. They've only claimed my house didn't exist once... much better then DHL and Fedex! UPS can always find my house, but they give me so much greif over duty and brokerage, since they are always charging me more then they are supposed to (I actually have a cheque from them refunding the money they duped out of my mother when she receive a shipment for me, the stupid A$$H0L3S

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:07 pm

Weird, when I went in today to pick up a package that I missed the delivery for, they didn't even ask me for my ID at all.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

PreviousNext

Return to Rants n' Raves