Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Fuji DVD-R/DVD+R (Made In Japan)

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby gm2015 on Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:36 pm

I just bought Sony 8X DVD-Rs, and when I try to record on them, I get this response:


Illegal disc
NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A
Could not perform start of Disc-at-once
Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)

I also get this message when trying to burn at other speeds (2x, 1x and "maximum").

Just yesterday, I was able to play a Sony 8x DVD-R disc that was burned in someone else's computer.

Why would my NEC play a Sony DVD-R, but not record on them? Is it that my NEC can play, but not record on Sonys, or did I just end up with a bad batch of discs?

Note: These Sonys usually sell at Staples for $13.98 (or $14.98) for a ten pack, but these are marked down to $8.98 (with an additional $4 taken off at the register, for a total of $4.98 plus tax), which means that Staples was very eager to get rid of them.
gm2015
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Postby Bhairav on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:40 am

gm2015 wrote:I just bought Sony 8X DVD-Rs, and when I try to record on them, I get this response:


Illegal disc
NEC DVD_RW ND 1300A
Could not perform start of Disc-at-once
Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)

I also get this message when trying to burn at other speeds (2x, 1x and "maximum").

Just yesterday, I was able to play a Sony 8x DVD-R disc that was burned in someone else's computer.

Why would my NEC play a Sony DVD-R, but not record on them? Is it that my NEC can play, but not record on Sonys, or did I just end up with a bad batch of discs?

Note: These Sonys usually sell at Staples for $13.98 (or $14.98) for a ten pack, but these are marked down to $8.98 (with an additional $4 taken off at the register, for a total of $4.98 plus tax), which means that Staples was very eager to get rid of them.


I doubt your 1300A (4X+/-R?) can handle those 8X -R discs. Anyway, is 2.4X a speed for -R discs? AFAIK, only 2X, 4X and 1X exist?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:41 am

Some drives can do 2.4x (or even 2.5x!) on DVD-R/RWs. The BenQ DW1620 and DW1640 are good examples :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby gm2015 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:58 pm

I wondered about that 2.4x speed, but Nero gave me the option to burn those DVD-Rs at that speed. It didn't work, though.

Shouldn't my 4x NEC 1300A be able to handle those discs at 4x or less?
I couldn't burn them even at 1x.
gm2015
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Postby gm2015 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:10 pm

My 4x NEC 1300A can burn to Maxell's 8x discs. Not at the maximum speed, of course, but I can copy to them at 2x.
gm2015
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Postby Scour on Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:10 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Some drives can do 2.4x (or even 2.5x!) on DVD-R/RWs. The BenQ DW1620 and DW1640 are good examples :wink:


One of the 8xx-series supports also 2,4 on DVD-RW, but burns it unreadbale.

I mean that Toshiba supports 2,5 instead of 2,4x
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby ItalianJob on Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:25 pm

I buy a lot of Fuji DVD+R 8X YUDENT000 T02 @ www.cdrvierge.com for my friends and I these late days and there was stamped on the box : made in Japan, packaged in China. This is for the "cost" explanation.

(In Europe, I confirm that these Fuji are excellent : max PIF = 4 on my BenQ 1620Pro B7V9 in most case and scans are fluently good.)
User avatar
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: France

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:42 pm

ItalianJob wrote:I buy a lot of Fuji DVD+R 8X YUDENT000 T02 @ www.cdrvierge.com for my friends and I these late days and there was stamped on the box : made in Japan, packaged in China. This is for the "cost" explanation.

(In Europe, I confirm that these Fuji are excellent : max PIF = 4 on my BenQ 1620Pro B7V9 in most case and scans are fluently good.)


Only Taiyo Yuden's lowest grade and value line discs are normally packaged in China. Usually those discs must be sold as 4x DVDRs, as that is all that Taiyo Yuden certifies them for :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Scour on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:18 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Only Taiyo Yuden's lowest grade and value line discs are normally packaged in China. Usually those discs must be sold as 4x DVDRs, as that is all that Taiyo Yuden certifies them for :o


But T02 are 8x-certified, I think?
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Scour wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Only Taiyo Yuden's lowest grade and value line discs are normally packaged in China. Usually those discs must be sold as 4x DVDRs, as that is all that Taiyo Yuden certifies them for :o


But T02 are 8x-certified, I think?


Actually, I don't think Taiyo Yuden has their T02 code certified, no need to. But all TAIYO YUDEN certifies their Value Pak media for is 4x.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby gm2015 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:16 pm

Dolphinus: You'll be interested to know that tonight, I burned a Fuji TY CDR and had some real problems with it. It was an audio CD that didn't play properly on the last track. I used CD Speed to check it and here's what I got:

C2 errors:

Maximum: 4113
Average: 54.37
Total: 250370


All of the errors occurred in the last few minutes of the disc. I've never got numbers this bad before, and the transfer test was just as bad.

"I doubt your 1300A (4X+/-R?) can handle those 8X -R discs. Anyway, is 2.4X a speed for -R discs? AFAIK, only 2X, 4X and 1X exist?"

Bhairav:

I'm fairly new to DVD burning, so maybe I'm misundertanding you. Are you suggesting that once the 8x discs become prevalent, and the 4x discs start disppearing from stores, I might have a hard time finding DVDRs that I can use with my NEC 1300A (which is only a little more than a year old)?
gm2015
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Postby Bhairav on Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:10 am

gm2015 wrote:Dolphinus: You'll be interested to know that tonight, I burned a Fuji TY CDR and had some real problems with it. It was an audio CD that didn't play properly on the last track. I used CD Speed to check it and here's what I got:

C2 errors:

Maximum: 4113
Average: 54.37
Total: 250370


All of the errors occurred in the last few minutes of the disc. I've never got numbers this bad before, and the transfer test was just as bad.

"I doubt your 1300A (4X+/-R?) can handle those 8X -R discs. Anyway, is 2.4X a speed for -R discs? AFAIK, only 2X, 4X and 1X exist?"

Bhairav:

I'm fairly new to DVD burning, so maybe I'm misundertanding you. Are you suggesting that once the 8x discs become prevalent, and the 4x discs start disppearing from stores, I might have a hard time finding DVDRs that I can use with my NEC 1300A (which is only a little more than a year old)?


Yes. I think so.. it's contingent on the drive manufacturers to include support for newer media on older drives, and instead of spending time writing new FW to recognise the newer higher speed media, they'll just move on with the development of new drives.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:52 am

gm2015 wrote:Dolphinus: You'll be interested to know that tonight, I burned a Fuji TY CDR and had some real problems with it. It was an audio CD that didn't play properly on the last track. I used CD Speed to check it and here's what I got:

C2 errors:

Maximum: 4113
Average: 54.37
Total: 250370


All of the errors occurred in the last few minutes of the disc. I've never got numbers this bad before, and the transfer test was just as bad.


I can't say I'm surprised.... Fuji's TY media has a good probability of sucking lately :(
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby RJW on Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:45 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
But T02 are 8x-certified, I think?

Actually, I don't think Taiyo Yuden has their T02 code certified, no need to. But all TAIYO YUDEN certifies their Value Pak media for is 4x.


Certified by who ? By TY themselves YES.
The media is not approved by Philips if your talking about that.

About packageing.
More as the value line is packaged in china. However I agree that for non branded media CHINA is the place for VALUE LINE.

About FUJI.The problem is the variance. You can have a excellent pack and next a quite crap pack. Really in the past TY was guaranteed quality however with the huge fluctuations in FUJI (and in some other media) and with the fact of licensing there code to disc's which perform even worse as FUJI. (Okay that's still not completely official.)
I think I can not longer recommend TY.
Looks like it's back to the old days and I will just recommend brands. Because manufacturer codes seem to say even less about quality and support.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Postby Halc on Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:04 pm

That's quite something, rjw.

What would be in your opinion reliable brands now in the EU market (dvd-r or dvd+r, take your pick)?

I've been very happy with Plextor DVD+R discs (several batches) myself.

However, I'm starting to see variance (or at least a bit too many unsuccessful burns) with Mitsubishi (MCC 03RG20) DVD-R 16x discs (made in taiwan) that are available in EU. Nothing alarming, but just that 8x (and of course 16x) burns can fail on modern burners that have official support for these discs. When burns work, they scan quite well in six different drives (diff puh, diff chipset, diff transport).

regards,
halc
User avatar
Halc
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:13 am

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:17 pm

I'm going to have to agree with RJW. There is more and more crap Taiyo Yuden on the market, and it's frustrating.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:28 pm

RJW wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
But T02 are 8x-certified, I think?

Actually, I don't think Taiyo Yuden has their T02 code certified, no need to. But all TAIYO YUDEN certifies their Value Pak media for is 4x.


Certified by who ? By TY themselves YES.
The media is not approved by Philips if your talking about that.

About packageing.
More as the value line is packaged in china. However I agree that for non branded media CHINA is the place for VALUE LINE.

About FUJI.The problem is the variance. You can have a excellent pack and next a quite crap pack. Really in the past TY was guaranteed quality however with the huge fluctuations in FUJI (and in some other media) and with the fact of licensing there code to disc's which perform even worse as FUJI. (Okay that's still not completely official.)
I think I can not longer recommend TY.
Looks like it's back to the old days and I will just recommend brands. Because manufacturer codes seem to say even less about quality and support.



About TY packaging in China,I think are rumours or fake TY.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... utsourcing


About TY quality :

Never bought bad batch Fuji TY media from various (and serious) sources in Europe.-In all media brands, happened variance of media quality .Always huge production of each media ,cause the possibility of fluctuations .This is normal !

-The manafucturer's problem is to control this,less or max. depends on it's reputation-In other side ,each factory pressed by each order of OEM production, for cost and time of availibilty-In advance of these, each factory ,must sell all bad control media (usually as B' Grade) -So there is not any exception for a brand like Fuji .-So if you want quality media ,take care of trade combination of Manafacturer/Brand/retailer.

Fuji,Sony,Plextor,Verbatim still best TY choice

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?d ... N000T02%20
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:52 am
Location: Athens-Greece

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:34 pm

Halc wrote:However, I'm starting to see variance (or at least a bit too many unsuccessful burns) with Mitsubishi (MCC 03RG20) DVD-R 16x discs (made in taiwan) that are available in EU. Nothing alarming, but just that 8x (and of course 16x) burns can fail on modern burners that have official support for these discs. When burns work, they scan quite well in six different drives (diff puh, diff chipset, diff transport).

regards,
halc


16x are max. speed limit of DVD media booktype
Doesn't mean quality burn as in lower speed.
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:52 am
Location: Athens-Greece

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:23 pm

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I've always had very good luck with Fuji's TY media. Both CD-R and DVD+R/-R.

I haven't seen the "Packaged in China" label yet. Anyone have a picture?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:24 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:About TY packaging in China,I think are rumours or fake TY.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... utsourcing


They are not rumours, and it is not fake. It is 100% fact. How do I know? Because my boxes of Japanese Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-Rs come with "Packaged in China" stamped on them. And it only happens with Value Line products from Taiyo Yuden. And no, my Taiyo Yuden's are not fake.

Gary Kokkin wrote:About TY quality :

Never bought bad batch Fuji TY media from various (and serious) sources in Europe.-In all media brands, happened variance of media quality .Always huge production of each media ,cause the possibility of fluctuations .This is normal !

-The manafucturer's problem is to control this,less or max. depends on it's reputation-In other side ,each factory pressed by each order of OEM production, for cost and time of availibilty-In advance of these, each factory ,must sell all bad control media (usually as B' Grade) -So there is not any exception for a brand like Fuji .-So if you want quality media ,take care of trade combination of Manafacturer/Brand/retailer.

Fuji,Sony,Plextor,Verbatim still best TY choice

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?d ... N000T02%20


There is much more involved with it then that. There's huge amounts of politics involved as well, among other things.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Ian wrote:I haven't seen the "Packaged in China" label yet. Anyone have a picture?


I'm curious too....
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:52 am
Location: Athens-Greece

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:19 pm

I took some lovely photo's for you on my cell phone. When I get home I'll upload them to my PC and then put them online here.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:19 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
They are not rumours, and it is not fake. It is 100% fact. How do I know? Because my boxes of Japanese Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-Rs come with "Packaged in China" stamped on them. And it only happens with Value Line products from Taiyo Yuden. And no, my Taiyo Yuden's are not fake.



Can you post how identified your unbranded TY media if their genuine ? (except a simple label mentioned MIJ)
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:52 am
Location: Athens-Greece

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:00 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
They are not rumours, and it is not fake. It is 100% fact. How do I know? Because my boxes of Japanese Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-Rs come with "Packaged in China" stamped on them. And it only happens with Value Line products from Taiyo Yuden. And no, my Taiyo Yuden's are not fake.



Can you post how identified your unbranded TY media if their genuine ? (except a simple label mentioned MIJ)


What do you want me to tell you?

They are Value Line 4x DVD-Rs, with TYG02 code. They have the proper GGxxxxxxx style serial number. They come 600pcs to a box, 33,600pcs to a pallet, and 235,200pcs to a minimum order for a distributor (roughly 4 times that in a container). They are purchased from the largest legitimate distributor of Taiyo Yuden in North America (who I will *NOT* name), who supplies a lot of the bigger online webstores in the US.

But if you prefer, I could just mail a spindle of them to Taiyo Yuden USA, and phone up my rep there and ask them if they mind me recording the phone call where she tells me that they have thouroughly tested the product and discovered that it actually *IS* their Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R Value Line series.

Or would my word on this suffice? (if it helps, one of the pics I took with my cell phone is of an unbroken pallet of this media, then of a box on that pallet, and then of the label on that box).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:24 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
They are Value Line 4x DVD-Rs, with TYG02 code. They have the proper GGxxxxxxx style serial number.



Genuine 4x TY DVD-Rs always have TYG01 code !

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?d ... List+Media


All fake media found,usually rated 8x and most of them are DVD-R ,with TYG02 code !- Package lools ok ,but it's easy a company write cheat info.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112854
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:52 am
Location: Athens-Greece

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.