Fed Ex Sucks

What was that?

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:51 pm

Yeah, cough syrup. Lots. LOL!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:22 am

aviationwiz wrote:Check my reply, it's in Minneapolis now, so that means it SHOULD be delivered Monday, knowing FedEx though, it won't be delivered until the scheduled day, Tuesday.

I still fail to see the big deal here. Get your hopes up for the scheduled delivery date, not prior to that. If it comes a day early, great, that's icing on the cake. But if it's scheduled for Tuesday then expect it Tuesday, no sooner.

FedEx, and probably most carriers, combine shipments to multiple destinations. Therefore, your package probably hopped on a plane in Newark, JFK, LaGuardia, or Philly whose ultimate destination was Minneapolis, but it had to make a couple stops first (Anchorage being one of them). It's just a matter of FedEx not having a direct flight from Newark to Minneapolis. Even passenger airlines don't have non-stop flights to all cities. You're an aviationwiz, you should know this about airlines, whether they be freight or passenger or both. :) Granted, it may worry you that your package is going out of its way to meet you, but as long as it gets to you on time and in good condition, no worries.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Impulse on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:57 am

Hey, you can't blame the memory for wanting to take a tour of the country...I hear Alaska is nice this time of year. :)
Impulse
Impulse
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:21 pm

TheWizard wrote:FedEx, and probably most carriers, combine shipments to multiple destinations. Therefore, your package probably hopped on a plane in Newark, JFK, LaGuardia, or Philly whose ultimate destination was Minneapolis, but it had to make a couple stops first (Anchorage being one of them). It's just a matter of FedEx not having a direct flight from Newark to Minneapolis.

Yes, that's quite understandable, but Alaska! Take out a map of the US, and find out how Alaska makes sence at all, LOL. It must be, what, around 2,000 miles out of the way. Memphis (FedEx HQ) would have made a LOT more sence, considering it's on the way from NJ-MN, and, that's where thier based.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:20 am

I've seen some pretty stupid stuff too: Newark to Chicago to Paris. It doesn't make sense, but it must be more efficient in some way otherwise airlines wouldn't do it.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:23 pm

I have had far better results from FedEx than UPS. Never had an item damaged, never had one late, and I have been allowed to pick up the item if it is at the sort facility, I just have to show a tracking ID and a driver's license. After multiple snafu's with UPS, I'd choose FedEx, heck, USPS too for that matter, over UPS any day.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:42 pm

F1Pilot wrote:Yeah, cough syrup. Lots. LOL!

dxm rocks!
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby NuttyBuddy on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:29 pm

Hi Aviationwiz,

A FedEx Express "Ramp" may hold back an airline container (can) that arrives a day early. I've had a few Newegg orders arrive at my local FedEx Ramp on Sunday due for Tuesday delivery, but the Ramp won't send the "can" to the Station until Tuesday morning. This is more a volume control issue. There is no way a "can" will be cracked opened to dig out one out of hundreds tightly packed packages inside.

The "Ramp" is the local airport where the aircraft arrive, and in most cases, the cans are then loaded into tractor-trailor trucks and sent to your local FedEx express "Station" where the cans are unloaded in the morning sort, 6:30AM to 8 AM, and loaded into the delivery trucks for delivery that day. In any case, the "final destination can" is not opened until the morning sort.

It's an amazing process. At 6 AM, all trucks are empty, and the cans are still closed, full of packages. The sort begins. All cans are unloaded, some even arriving at 7:40AM. At 8:15 AM all cans are empty and all trucks are leaving the station. The station is empty.
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R w/ Athlon 64 3000+
Running Windows XP Home
2x512MB DS Kingmax DDR PC-3200
Radeon 9800PRO
Two 60GB WD WD600 HDs on IDE1
Two 80GB Maxtor HDs on SATA IDE3 - Promise RAID 0
NEC ND-1000A 2x DVD+RW and Lite-On 52x CD-RW on IDE2
NuttyBuddy
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:36 pm

NuttyBuddy wrote:Hi Aviationwiz,

A FedEx Express "Ramp" may hold back an airline container (can) that arrives a day early. I've had a few Newegg orders arrive at my local FedEx Ramp on Sunday due for Tuesday delivery, but the Ramp won't send the "can" to the Station until Tuesday morning. This is more a volume control issue. There is no way a "can" will be cracked opened to dig out one out of hundreds tightly packed packages inside.

The "Ramp" is the local airport where the aircraft arrive, and in most cases, the cans are then loaded into tractor-trailor trucks and sent to your local FedEx express "Station" where the cans are unloaded in the morning sort, 6:30AM to 8 AM, and loaded into the delivery trucks for delivery that day. In any case, the "final destination can" is not opened until the morning sort.

It's an amazing process. At 6 AM, all trucks are empty, and the cans are still closed, full of packages. The sort begins. All cans are unloaded, some even arriving at 7:40AM. At 8:15 AM all cans are empty and all trucks are leaving the station. The station is empty.

The times that FedEx has delayed a package of mine (a lot) they are always in the local hub, unpacked, not sitting in a container of any sort.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:06 am

aviationwiz wrote:The times that FedEx has delayed a package of mine (a lot) they are always in the local hub, unpacked, not sitting in a container of any sort.

How do you know this? If memory serves, when entering a tracking number on FedEx's site, they never say "At local hub, unpacked, not in container." In fact, all you get is the first part, "At local hub" or "At sort facility." I think you are reading into it too much. :roll:

BTW, NuttyBuddy, very cool description of the entire process. I learned something new today. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby NuttyBuddy on Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:49 pm

Thanks Wizard,

For terminology sake, a FedEx Express "sort facility" is a major package routing center, like in Memphis, Newark, and Indianapolis. Like if an overnight package is going from California to Virginia. The package is packed in a "can" in California at 8:00PM (that's 11:00PM east coast time mind you). It flies to the Memphis "sort facility", the can is unloaded, sorted, and the package is packed in a can, destined for, let's say, Richmond. The can arrives at the Richmond "ramp" (this maybe what they refer to as a "local hub") at 6:50AM, the can is rolled off the jet. It's then lifted into the "ramp" location and rolled into a tractor-trailer. It's driven to the Richmond "station", arriving there at 7:35AM. The can is unloaded off the tractor-trailer, rolled to a conveyor belt, and unloaded by hand onto the appropriate conveyor which runs along rows of FedEx delivery trucks which are loaded by delivery couriers. The delivery trucks leave shortly after 8:00AM.

So much for terminology, since Newegg ships using FedEx Express Saver 3 day service, some are transported solely by truck where distance permits. The "can" and "hub" process is the same, they are just transported on the ground rather than air.

From my experience here, all packages unloaded in a FedEx Express morning "station" sort are loaded into their delivery vehicles or processed for customer pickup, irregardless of the date due. None are left behind (with the exception of the peak volume Thanksgiving to Christmas period where a can with packages due for a later date may not be unloaded). No cans at my local station are unloaded any other time other than the morning sort. I have received my Newegg package in one day, two days before the due date, and never late.

I can only speak for my area, yours may have a different policy. I don't understand why, if it is unloaded from the can, you wouldn't be able to pick it up. What does FedEx say when you call - "Yes, I see your package on the shelf, but you cannot have it until tomorrow"? To actually speak to an agent at the station would be the only way you would know it was out of the can and accessible. It doesn't make sense to unload a can when there are no staff and no trucks to load them into. The station is not a warehouse with shelves, and believe me, there are no trucks to load them into during the day - they are ALL out making deliveries and pickups. Go to a FedEx station around 2:00PM and you may find pickup drivers waiting for delivery trucks to come in since no trucks are available at the station. It is a tightly run operation, very little waste.

Bottom line, I'm getting a great price on products from NewEgg and free shipping guaranteed delivered in three days from the day shipped from a great, dependable carrier. That's what I expect, and that's what I get ... or better.
Running Windows XP Home
Radeon 9800PRO
NuttyBuddy
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:57 pm

TheWizard wrote:
aviationwiz wrote:The times that FedEx has delayed a package of mine (a lot) they are always in the local hub, unpacked, not sitting in a container of any sort.

How do you know this? If memory serves, when entering a tracking number on FedEx's site, they never say "At local hub, unpacked, not in container." In fact, all you get is the first part, "At local hub" or "At sort facility." I think you are reading into it too much. :roll:

I know St. Louis Park is my local delivery hub for Express, and St. Paul for ground & home delivery. When I see a package that got to St. Louis Park before 6AM, I expect it to go on the delivery truck that day (FedEx trucks go out around 8-8:30AM, depending on package volume that day.

I called up FedEx (about 3:10PM, right when I got back) and they said it was at the local hub, off the truck, but since it was not due for delivery that day, I could not pick it up.

Using UPS for 99% (not joking) of packages incoming & outgoing, I have very high standards, and neither FedEx, nor DHL meet my personal quality standards. To be honest with you, for a next day package, I would rather ship it Express Mail than FedEx next day, any day of the week. My Uncle sent an express mail package to me, it got to Minneapolis airport at about 2:30 PM, there was a delivery attempt by 4:30PM, that same day. The next day I had off, so I was upstairs for it, (I expected it to come late with normal mail because that's what they said) and it came first thing in the morning, around 11AM.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby wicked1 on Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:47 pm

fedex is the cream of the crop where I live. I have received many things early and I at least receive them. UPS likes to deliver to my neighbors which is 1/4 mile away. The UPS drivers also appear to have an insatiable appetite which requires them to chew on something which it appears is my package everytime. I use fedex for everything. No teething issues.
:-?
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby NuttyBuddy on Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:10 pm

I called up FedEx (about 3:10PM, right when I got back) and they said it was at the local hub, off the truck, but since it was not due for delivery that day, I could not pick it up.

That proves my point, it's at the hub in a can. The can is off the truck. The package won't come out of the can until the next morning at the station. Everything in that can is slated for a future delivery commitment. Today's cans take priority over tomorrow's. Do you want everybody else's packages, due today, delayed so you can get yours a day early? Am I making more sense now?

If you choose, you can ask FedEx to hold it and you can pick it up at 9:00 AM the next morning rather than wait for the delivery later in the day.

If you're happy with UPS and Express Mail, that's all that is important, but when it comes to Newegg and FedEx, your preference is in the minority.
Running Windows XP Home
Radeon 9800PRO
NuttyBuddy
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:29 pm

NuttyBuddy wrote:

That proves my point, it's at the hub in a can. The can is off the truck. The package won't come out of the can until the next morning at the station. Everything in that can is slated for a future delivery commitment. Today's cans take priority over tomorrow's. Do you want everybody else's packages, due today, delayed so you can get yours a day early? Am I making more sense now?

If you choose, you can ask FedEx to hold it and you can pick it up at 9:00 AM the next morning rather than wait for the delivery later in the day.

If you're happy with UPS and Express Mail, that's all that is important, but when it comes to Newegg and FedEx, your preference is in the minority.

I'd bet it was sitting unpacked in thier warehouse, with just a bunch of packages, no packed up anywhere, that's how it should be anyway. UPS, and DHL, everything is unpacked the instant it arrives. Just watch DHL (Airborne) or UPS at the airport, they'll unload the containers from the plane, open them up, and then sort them right there into seperate areas, for ex: at MSP it would be: Going to Minneapolis Hub, Going to Eagan Hub, or going to Maple Grove hub. Then when it gets to the hubs, it is also unpacked right then and there sorted for delivery trucks or transit trucks to another city.

As per newegg and FedEx, I know I'm the minority, most people don't care who handles the package, as long as it gets to it's destination, I'm quite the opposite.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby NuttyBuddy on Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:23 pm

I'd bet it was sitting unpacked in thier warehouse, with just a bunch of packages, no packed up anywhere, that's how it should be anyway.

At least you now admit you don't know and you're betting. Look, all I can say is all I can say. All I know is all I know. The "Express" packages go from can to can until they reach their delivery station. From there they go from can to truck in the morning sort. FedEx "Express" is an extrememly time sensitive operation. It is an overnight business with 2 and three day services added. Packages don't sit loosely around. FedEx "Ground" is a separate operation logistically and I am not talking about them. You can choose to not believe me, but I'm telling you like it is.

You make it sound like you're getting them late. I believe your complaint to be groundless and fail to see any justification for your persistence. Except maybe that your real axe to grind is because UPS and USPS delivery drivers are unionized workers and FedEx couriers are not. That would explain it since you are wearing your politics all over your posts. No?!
Running Windows XP Home
Radeon 9800PRO
NuttyBuddy
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:40 pm

He is talking nonsense yet again, NuttyBuddy, just ignore him. :) This quote proves it:

I'd bet it was sitting unpacked in thier warehouse, with just a bunch of packages, no packed up anywhere, that's how it should be anyway.

The fact of the matter is; FedEx, UPS, Airborne, DHL, even the USPS...they all run a tight operation. But, of course, the quality of the service differs by locale. Just like any other business with chains or franchises: a Sears store in one geography may vastly differ from a Sears store in another geography, same with two McDonald's restaurants and so on. You know what I like about FedEx? They were the first courier service to introduce electronic tracking and make it available to the customer. I can still remember the video I was forced to watch about it in college. :P
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:35 pm

All I can say is that it was in St. Louis Park, and when I called to ask if I could get it, they said I could not, because it was not scheduled for delivery yet. Not because it was sitting on a truck or in a can, so that to me means it is un-packed from the can, and ready to be delivered, of course, knowing FedEx, you never know now-a-days.

Except maybe that your real axe to grind is because UPS and USPS delivery drivers are unionized workers and FedEx couriers are not. That would explain it since you are wearing your politics all over your posts. No?!

I do prefer the employees of the carrier I use to be recieving excellent benefits, and good pay, which is what they deserve, but this rant has nothing to do with politics.

This complaint sure does have grounds, they have an inferior service when compared to all thier competitors, DHL, UPS, & the USPS. Thier prices are also higher than DHL & UPS, which are other private carriers, when it comes to anything shipped from Minneapolis, and most anywhere else. FedEx may have better international prices, I wouldn't know, but international, DHL is almost a must, they are the most widely known and used international carrier.

FedEx also likes to make up when I sign, or leave a note at the door for them to leave a package. They want a signature for a $16 item, but for $80 worth of items, signature required, they just claim I left a release waiver at the door (which I did not)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:46 pm

aviationwiz wrote:All I can say is that it was in St. Louis Park, and when I called to ask if I could get it, they said I could not, because it was not scheduled for delivery yet. Not because it was sitting on a truck or in a can, so that to me means it is un-packed from the can, and ready to be delivered, of course, knowing FedEx, you never know now-a-days.

You answered your own question. You could not pick it up because it was not scheduled for delivery. The customer service rep. you spoke to mentioned nothing about your package being unpacked from any can. It's useless debating with you. You make up your own stories. :roll:

FedEx also likes to make up when I sign, or leave a note at the door for them to leave a package. They want a signature for a $16 item, but for $80 worth of items, signature required, they just claim I left a release waiver at the door (which I did not)

Both UPS and FedEx leave packages on my doorstep regardless of the contents' value. I leave no waiver or notice either. It's probably just how the local UPS and FedEx facilities operate; as I said, each locale is different. Personally, seeing as I live in the Metro NYC Area, I think the drivers leave packages on peoples' doorsteps in my area because they know most of the population is at work during the day, when they deliver. Now, I could be reading into it, but I think my idea has at least some logic behind it.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:19 pm

Yes, your's does, but the point of the matter is, all of my FedEx Express packages are signature requireds. Why would they make up that I left a release waiver when I did not? I do not know.

Packages that are not signature required, will be left at the door, unless it is in a bad neighberhood, apartment, condominium, or if it is an obvious high risk item (computers, etc.) well, that's UPS' policy at least, can't speak for DHL & FedEx.

Leaving a package at the door-step, should it be no signature required, is ultimately up to the driver, but if it is signature required, they should not say that I left a release waiver at the door when I did not.

Say, I am recieving, oh, a cpu from newegg, OK, pretty common thing that people buy from newegg. Free FedEx Express shipping, wait transit time, 3 days later, in the morning, I check status, on fedex vehicle for delivery. Say, I get home at 3:00PM, around the time I myself normally get home, I check in between the door, on the porch, nothing there, (FedEx Express normally comes around 10:30-11:30) (Ground has been known to come between 5PM & 10:30PM around here)

OK, so I figure they are running late, no problem there, the delivery time hasn't passed. So, for the hell of it, I track the package again (something I would do) it says delivered and it says I signed a release waiver at my door. Someone stole it, as it's not there.

Who's the one that's out? Me. Who has to tell them that I never got it? Me.
Pain in the ass for me to attempt to convince them that I got it, especially since they claim to have a signature of mine on a release waiver form.

Now, had it been a regular ground package, no signature required by fedex, ups, dhl, and they left it at the door and it was stolen. They don't have my signature (or claim to have my signature) so I have grounds to say I never recieved it, but if they claim they have my signature, I have very little grounds, except to convince them that I never signed a waiver, and that could be tricky.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:21 am

Good for you.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:59 am

TheWizard wrote:Good for you.

:lol: So would you like that to happen to you? It's your burden to prove to them you never signed for it, and never recieved it?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:08 pm

aviationwiz wrote:
TheWizard wrote:Good for you.

:lol: So would you like that to happen to you? It's your burden to prove to them you never signed for it, and never recieved it?

What is it like, aviationwiz, living in your own special world? :lol:

First of all, instead of making up stories about what might happen and describing how you think the shipping companies "really" operate, why don't you stick to reality? I guess it is much easier to argue your point when you aren't constrained by actual facts. :roll:

Secondly, if this little scenario you described were to happen, it would be quite easy to prove your side, and the burden wouldn't be on you with regards to the signature release. If FedEx says they have a release and you say they don't, all you have to do is demand that they produce it. See? It's simple. You wouldn't have any trouble winning your case in small claims court, if it came to that. Although I suppose now you will argue that in a huge anti-aviationwiz conspiracy, the FedEx goons would sneak into your house late at night, steal a copy of your handwriting, and then forge your signature on their release... :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby NuttyBuddy on Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:25 pm

all of my FedEx Express packages are signature requireds

Leaving a package at the door-step, should it be no signature required, is ultimately up to the driver

OK, I know about this. Here I go:

A FedEx Express "signature required" package can never be left without a signature in person. Notes on the door don't even qualify.

The shipper can authorize a release with either a signature on the airbill, a release number on the package (it will read "release: 1234567") or a pre-registered release number (sometimes not on the package).

The recipient can authorize a permanent release by signing a form stating where to leave the package and turning in the form to the courier or station. The recipient can also leave a signed note for a one time release...that note must be accessible to the courier as he/she must take it for proof. But again, as stated above, no "signature required" package should ever be left under any circumstances.

I think there is a value limit for leaving packages, but who in the heck knows what's in a package most of the time or its value.

These are company-wide policies, not disgressionary depending on area.

I have filled out a release form. All my Newegg packages are left if I'm not home. I have had to go to the station here to pick up "signature required" packages. They won't leave them.

If you have a problem, it can easily be resolved by contacting FedEx. If you have not signed a permanent release, "or" the shipper has not authorized the release, there will be hell to pay - by either the courier, manager or whomever is initiating an exception to the policy.

A good way to strike back at those pesky FedEx Express people you so dislike...and that would have solved your issue on the first occurrence...but that would have been too easy. No? :-?
Running Windows XP Home
Radeon 9800PRO
NuttyBuddy
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:33 pm

Of course they will steal me handwriting, that's what they do! :lol: :lol:
Also, I would just prefer the scenario not to happen, so that I don't have to do anything about it, as I got it as I should have. (Thank you UPS, DHL.)
Last edited by aviationwiz on Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

PreviousNext

Return to Rants n' Raves