Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Fuji DVD-R/DVD+R (Made In Japan)

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby Gary Kokkin on Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:46 pm

Cheapest price found here is 12.50€ / 25 cakebox / Mediacode : YUDEN000T02 --still same price almost for two months now (also same as
http://www.opusshop.de/produkten_specif ... 313&gid=29)

Other choice is about 12.00€ / 25 cakebox / Mediacode : Ricohjpn02 (in same European package ,but not mentioned MIJ on it, so maybe these also change now to Ritek's and hard to find before buy them-Let me confirm after Monday from a friend of mine, works on Fuji's HQ here )

BTW Fuji's 8x DVD-R media are always PRODISC F01 here,cost 13euro/25discs a long way bad in quality than older 4x DVD-R (Prodisc S03) which were excellent and still found here in stock 10euro/25discs

Edit : In my search above Interent very few eshop sell Ritek Fuji's http://www.cdrwinkel.com/
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... RK:MEWA:IT

As above ebay.it site, mentioned as possibility bought Ritek or Yuden.That's mean Yuden production for Fuji stays on !
Last edited by Gary Kokkin on Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:11 pm

Halc wrote:Scour,

I'm not as well informed as Dolp and RJW, but on the EU market I've had consitently good luck with Plextor.

I know you wrote they cost more.

However, if your data is important to you...

I´ll order some Fuji and test it, when I have a new burner :)

But what I don´t like, that buying media is now a game of chance. The High-class-manufacturer like MCC buys media from other brands or let manufacture in other factory´s, it depends on the country what quality the media have, although all have the same name :(
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:32 am

Incase of MCC it's not as bad as the others.
WHile there is variation in quality.
Mitsubishi's own brands still have some influence.
In other words. To much bad media means actions.
And all problematic media will be tried to be replaced in a way that the customer still is not that pissed.
Really a friend of me is allready hopeing that he again gets another bad dual layer disc from verbatim. Because last time the replacement was a mousemat a whole 5 pack dual layer media and a 10 pack of 16x DVD+R.
Hmm now I personally don't like the fuzz of going through the problems of getting it replaced however with such compensation I wouldn't argue that much.
Really Verbatim partners and Verbatims quality controle might screw up on occasions however there support is still word the premium price compared to cheaper brands from E-net and others.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:14 pm

Oh, I forgot to write this:

I have had _excellent_ results with Maxell branded DVD-R media ("Made in Japan" bought in EU).

Maxell DVD-R 8x (MXL RG03)
Maxell DVD-R 16x (MXL RG04)

... when the drives have support for these discs.

I've been buying ONLY from Maxell's local subsidiaries directly.

The quality has been from very good to excellent (LiteOn SOHW 1693s, LG GSA 4163, BenQ DW1640, Nec ND 3540).

Only writer that I have tested that barfs on MXL RG03 is Samsung TS-H552U.

If your exprience differs from mine, please post here.

Unfortunately the price is not significantly cheaper than Plextor branded DVD+R 8x, although a tad cheaper.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby player1327 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:38 pm

So I've been using TYG01 from meritline. Are these good or bad?
player1327
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:51 pm

player1327 wrote:So I've been using TYG01 from meritline. Are these good or bad?

TYG01? what's the link?

I don't think anyone has any TYG01 left.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:56 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
player1327 wrote:So I've been using TYG01 from meritline. Are these good or bad?

TYG01? what's the link?

In Germany some shops sale TYG01 Verbatim DVD-R 4x Pastel, but its getting rar
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby player1327 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:14 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:

TYG01? what's the link?

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-4x ... cquer.html

I had bought from meritline before this and they sent me TYG02s, but the last order they were TYG01s. I'm not sure if the TYG02 order were the ones linked above.
player1327
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:37 pm

player1327 wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

TYG01? what's the link?

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-4x ... cquer.html

I had bought from meritline before this and they sent me TYG02s, but the last order they were TYG01s. I'm not sure if the TYG02 order were the ones linked above.

Take a look at Meritline's part number for the product:
DVD-R47VAL600SK

It's the 4x Value Line which is now nearly 100% TYG02 code. It's not a premium line product, but it's still fairly good.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:24 am

Yes nearly.
Still now and then the TYG01 show up.
Last edited by RJW on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:28 am

For us European customers of DISKO ltd. (Cdrwinkel and cdrvierge.) there is good news.
After the primeon fiasco. (People who can read Dutch take a look at the comments for media with plextor mid that they sell. FUnny how they state that MAM-E is european TY however they have removed the TAIYO YUDEN explicit part after the primeon disc's.)

and after the were sold out of verbatim they now have Plextor media also there sister site cdrvierge is selling plextor at these prices.

Jewelcases - 100 pck - arround 60 euro's (+/-R both)
Spindles of 25 pieces arround 20 euro's. (only +R but who wants to buy these when jewelcased media is cheaper. )

Excellent prices. Maybe it's time to stock some up.

(A few months ago the 8x DVD-R version was still more then 1.50 a piece. Now let's hope that Plextor and TY haven't gone cheap.)

Also cdrwinkel has some FUJI's 10 packs with TY code for the folks who still prefer FUJI or cheaper prices. :D
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:14 pm

Halc wrote:
I have had _excellent_ results with Maxell branded DVD-R media ("Made in Japan" bought in EU).

Maxell DVD-R 8x (MXL RG03)
Maxell DVD-R 16x (MXL RG04)

... when the drives have support for these discs.

I've been buying ONLY from Maxell's local subsidiaries directly.

Maxell's Japan DVD-R media is leader in technology than TY.
MXL RG03 were made in Japan by Maxell but....
...I have seen the big box package included new 16x DVD+R and DVD-R spindles.--Unfortunately wrote "made in Taiwan"
-Spindles not write anything in their own package (in our market but MID still MXL RG04 for DVD-R media and MAXELL003 for DVD+R media)

The question to the supplier answered as these Maxell are now made in Taiwan by Ritek ! .

Quality as alternative to TY are good only if you burn in label speed for 8x media or 12x (for 16x media)-Maxell media don't like oc.

About Fuji TY :
I asked a friend of mine works on local Fuji's HQ ,for the rumour of TY 8x media discontinued-There is not a clear YES this moment ,since Fuji want pass in 16x media era,after summer-Prices and availibilty depends on market area ( the reason maybe happened for Fuji Ritek's media)
-Main orders to Fuji Germany must schedule 2-3 months ago before retail sale- "Fuji Hellas"now preorder 16x media for October delivery since stock of 8x media stands on here (TY or Ricoh )

In addition to all these above ,also i have read in CDRlabs news, that many factories want raise prices of DVD media or maybe already did that -Maybe it's a plus reason to Fuji, turn to Ritek factory for cheaper cost..
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:26 am

I personally it isn't a good idea to switch to a price to ritek.
Because it's the combination of TY and a decent price that made them have a huge ammount of sales. RItek's can be bought cheaper.

FUJI's marketshare is getting smaller. Most folks don't want RItek-R03 who are quite bad supported on some burners.

Plextor market share is gaineing because there the only brand that can guarantee Taiyo Yuden in real volumes even if they have there price.

Verbatim did try to take over the place however they couldn't deliver the requested volumes because they allready moved to far on to 16x media.
So we probally see even more plextor branded 8x media in the stores or the stuff from MAM-E up to the time when the market turns allmost completely to 16x. Most brands are currently clearing there 8x stock and are movering up to 16x so in the next months 8x media will become harder and harder to find. I suddenly see much more MAM-E with TY code being sold.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:27 pm

Also Gary Kokkin you posted above Opusshop prices and say 2 months no price change.
However keep in mind that Opusshop has stocked up a large ammount of TY media just befor the Switch to Ritek.
Also Opusshop doesn't sell the large ammount disko ltd. does so that they can still sell Yuden is quite logical. Still Opusshop is a ok webstore.
So people in Europe who are still looking for FUJI TY this might be a good option.
Only problem is that the delivery has become slow now that they no longer sell directly out of the netherlands. (It can take up a few more days as the times stated on there site. But you will get your products !)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:04 pm

Fuji Japan discs opinion :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141109

Taiyo Yuden PREMIUM vs. VALUE line :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141147
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:57 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:Fuji Japan discs opinion :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141109

Taiyo Yuden PREMIUM vs. VALUE line :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141147

Argh... CDFreaks is showing their lack of understanding yet again.

Fine, I'm just going to come out and say it.

I have direct contact with Taiyo Yuden. Taiyo Yuden sells Value Line product, it is NOT a distributor marketing it that way. Taiyo Yuden labels the discs with the Value Sticker. The discs were NOT intended to be sold *AS* Taiyo Yuden, *THAT* was a retail distribution decision.

The only way you can get closer to the source is by asking Taiyo Yuden, something that no one has actually attempted it seems.

Taiyo Yuden was also the one who told me that BurnMaster brand media is using their Value Line product, and is not their regular (Premium Line) DVDRs.

The terms Premium Line and Value Line were created *BY* Taiyo Yuden, most likely in order to avoid the term "B Grade" or "Downgrade".

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Technarch on Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:31 pm

I bought some Fuji MIJ batch 1133 8x +R discs.. I also bought some silver lacquer batch 1162 8x +R discs from blankmedia.ca. Both have the MID code YUDEN000 T02.

The Fuji 1133 were better discs than the 1162. Lower PI and PIF errors. However there are a # of people with batch 1159 Fuji's and those are pretty similiar to the blankmedia 1162 discs in that there are problems compared to previous production.

The burner I am using is a NEC 3520 and as of presently existing 3.04 firmware, I don't think I would buy TY media again until the firmware improves, or TY cleans up their act.

From doing both transfer rate tests and disc quality scans, it appears that both these batches have a very narrow window of 'good burn' zone. Basically 6x to 10x. Unfortunately dvd burners cannot be told 'burn this using CLV'. So if your burn starts at 4x you will have a region that is sucky, and if it goes past 10x you will also have a region that is sucky. Probably 16x media will be even more problematic if it also has that 'narrow' zone of comfort, but weighed more towards the high end of the scale. ZCLV is a great way to see this in action, if you create a data disc in cdspeed and do a disc scan, it will overlay the burn graph with the scan graph.

I think there's going to be problems for a long time to come. 16x burning CAV starts at 6x speed. 4x if you specify 8x. That's a pretty wide range to optimize dye for.
Technarch
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:06 am

Power calibration is usually a function of (disc +) writing speed.

As such, it seems the TY discs in questio have a fairly narrow power calibration range.

Meaning: too low or too high laser power will result in increased jitter (spot size variation).

regards,
halc

PS I'm getting dizzy of all the media information. It's changing too fast for consumers to react. Once somebody has learned what is trustworthy and what is not, the scene has already changed... I'm beginning to think that media tests for ordinary consumers sake (not enthusiasts using forums) is coming more and more useless. Normal people can't keep up with the changes. I mean, "value line" TY? Good grief... I know the competition is rough and only gearing up, but TY really shoot themselves in the foot with that one. Now there is no manufacturer brand that one can trust anymore....
Halc
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to DVD Writers