Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Official K-Probe Discussion (Tool for Scanning C1C2/PIPO)

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Postby CDHero on Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:39 am

cfitz wrote:
karr_wang wrote:Thanks all of you , I will do my best ! :D

We should really be thanking you, but, you're welcome. :D I'm looking forward to your next release. Let us know if we can do anything to help.

cfitz

Thanks all :D
Last edited by CDHero on Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
CDHero
CD-RW Thug

Postby MediumRare on Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:14 am

http://karr.myweb.hinet.net/ wrote:Please Click Here And Input Password

A short tip for others:
After clicking my arm off all over the page I just entered the password directly (without clicking) and that worked.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby cfitz on Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:57 am

karr_wang wrote:I was "poked" by my colleague "Kimmy" , the guy is nothing ! :evil: I added a password for kprobe web. You can input password "2317" to access the web.

Thanks for the information.

Are you getting in trouble at work because of the nice utilities you are making for us? I hope not. But remember, as much as we love KProbe and MInfo and LtnFlash, your job is more important. So don't do anything that will get you in trouble.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:57 am

MediumRare wrote:A short tip for others:
After clicking my arm off all over the page I just entered the password directly (without clicking) and that worked.

You still have to click once before you enter the password. Click anywhere on the page and then type it in, just like Karr's instructions say. :wink: It is a little confusing because you don't get a dialog box until after you type in the password.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:18 am

did I miss something? like, what the password is? :-?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:54 am

it was 2317. that doesn't work anymore! :o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:14 am

You can access the K-Probe webpage if you go directly here:
http://myweb.hinet.net/home4/karr/tools.htm

unfortunatly all the files have been removed :cry:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:52 am

Oh no! I hope Karr has not gotten any grief over his work.

I wonder how many at LiteOn understand the extra value that KProbe gives to LiteOn purchasers.

I for one would not buy any LiteOn drives would there not be Kprobe available for them. I know the drives have some really good qualities on their own, but Kprobe is to me personally the feature that really makes the extra useful over almost all of the competition.

Thank you Karr Wang for all the work!

regards,
Halcyon
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:11 am

Halc, you might want to read this thread.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:21 am

Halc wrote:I for one would not buy any LiteOn drives would there not be Kprobe available for them. I know the drives have some really good qualities on their own, but Kprobe is to me personally the feature that really makes the extra useful over almost all of the competition.

same here.
the only reason i'm contemplating the purchase of a Lite-On CDRW is for KProbe testing. and the reason i'm leaning towards a JLMS DVD-ROM drive is the same - KProbe testing.

too bad the people in the management can't understand this. :(

Halc wrote:Thank you Karr Wang for all the work!

seconded! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:29 am

dodecahedron wrote:too bad the people in the management can't understand this. :(

Halc wrote:Thank you Karr Wang for all the work!

seconded! :D

I agree, too! :D I hope that Lite-On will allow Karr to re-release these programs because they have the potential to increase sales because they improve the usefulness of Lite-On products.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dhc014 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:34 am

I gaurantee that they improve sales. This is one of the main reasons that I could recommend Lite-ON over other similar manufacturers. Thanks for all of your efforts Karr, I wish you the best, and may you continue to write great programs, even if we can't enjoy them!
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:52 am

I can download KProbe, but not MInfo and LTNFlash. I wonder what's going on here?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:13 am

dhc014 wrote:I gaurantee that they improve sales. This is one of the main reasons that I could recommend Lite-ON over other similar manufacturers. Thanks for all of your efforts Karr, I wish you the best, and may you continue to write great programs, even if we can't enjoy them!

My thoughts exactly. We can only hope that Lite-On soon comes to realise this. Without Karr's K-Probe and LtnFlash, the added value of buying a Lite-On drive over competing drives goes down considerably.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:48 am

The only reason I am contemplating buying a LiteON DVD Writer is because of K-Probe. If K-Probe is discontinued I will probably wait for Plextor to incorperate something similar....but I don't want to do that! :cry:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:21 pm

All files are currently up at the "new" site.
I may be wrong, but has LtnFlash changed?
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:50 pm

Yup, same version, but no more Read/Write EEPROM features.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:32 pm

Bad news

Karr's website is down indefinately:

Dear friends,

This web was closed temporarily for some reasons in LiteON.
Maybe it will be re-opened someday.
I deeply appreciated your kindness and support !
If you really love my programs, you can email me
karr_wang@liteonit.com

Thank you again and again !
You forever friend : Karr

Bummer :evil:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:51 pm

I just want to say that it really saddened me to see how Karr's endeavours have been brought to an abrupt halt. I had a LiteOn before he released KProbe, but I bought it as "just a cheap drive". I've since recommended LiteOn's to others - both here in the forum and in person - mainly because of the availability of his excellent tools.

Let's not forget that Karr's first site went down without a warning and he came back with this one- so there is still hope. I can only wish that the managers at LiteOn "see the Lite" and encourage his activities instead of putting up barricades. His tools help to sell drives, particularly to those who care about the quality of the disks they burn.

And Karr- if you read this- a very big thank you for these wonderful programs and your readiness to implement suggested improvements!

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby rdgrimes on Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:28 pm

LiteOn can't put the cat back in the bag, we still have the tools. Just like we still have WSES. There's no doubt a lot more to this than meets the eye. My guess is that Karr won't be back any time soon. Let's just hope he's not cleaning toilets at LiteOn.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:21 pm

rdgrimes wrote:LiteOn can't put the cat back in the bag, we still have the tools. Just like we still have WSES. There's no doubt a lot more to this than meets the eye. My guess is that Karr won't be back any time soon. Let's just hope he's not cleaning toilets at LiteOn.

Let's just hope he didn't leave to work for Plextor ;)
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:42 pm

Let's just hope he didn't leave to work for Plextor

He's too smart for that. :lol:
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:55 pm

Why don't we all send un-happy e-mails to liteON for removing the best reason to own their drives. Maybe if they see that a lot of people who were major supporters of their product are considering turning to other manufacturers, we may see a change? well probably not, but after all the hard work Karr went to, I think we should at least try.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:00 pm

I would also like to publicly express my thanks to Karr for all the great work he has done in making these wonderful tools available to us. You did a super job Karr, and your contributions are really appreciated and will not forgotten!

Although I am not privy to exact details of the situation, from what I can glean it appears that Lite-On's management objected to Karr making these tools available to the user community. Assuming this is correct, I really don't understand that stance. Like many of you, I believe that these tools are an excellent selling point for Lite-On drives and add a lot of value to the Lite-On product line. They differentiate Lite-On's drives from all the many competitors in the market and provide a reason to buy Lite-On instead of Benq, BTC, Optorite, LG, Samsung, etc. You can look through my posts on this forum and find that I often recommend Lite-On drives specifically because they are compatible with Karr's tools.

Having the tools taken away (at least in terms of further development) is a great loss to the community and, thus, to Lite-On itself. They have taken away one of the biggest selling points of Lite-On drives.

Karr, I also want to wish you well and truly hope that you haven't suffered professionally or personally due to this situation.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:01 pm

Why don't we all send un-happy e-mails

I think this is a situation that would be best left alone. Calling more attention to it might not have the desired effect.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to Recordable Media Discussion