Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Official K-Probe Discussion (Tool for Scanning C1C2/PIPO)

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Postby CDHero on Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:40 pm

rdgrimes wrote:1.1.23 has a big hairy bug in it.
Freezes program and requires a reboot to get free of it.

It is an older problem ! Not my bug ~
1.1.23 used SPTI and 1.1.22 use ASPI
You can see "about" tab to know its driver !
I will add an option which can select driver at 1.1.24
if your os will hang now , please change the IDE/ATAPI controller properties in [My Computer\Device Manager].
Please select the drivers:
"Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller"
"Primary IDE Channel"
"Secondary IDE Channel"
The supplier of these driver are "Microsoft".
Their compatibilty is the best !
Please try it again ! If it still hang the OS , I will release 1.1.24 ASAP !
I have updated the driver used in 1.1.23 , please re-download it !
Sorry again !
CDHero
CD-RW Thug

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:39 pm

I'm already running the MS drivers in win2000.

EDIT: re-downloaded and updated---problem solved. Thanks again Karr for your hard work!

BTW, I think I may have solved my issue with the 52246S drive that wouldn't complete a scan at full speed. I had another issue with the same drive in another program where it wouldn't answer read-speed commands. I opened Nero DriveSpeed and ran the "detect" function, now the drive seems to behave itself. Even though I do not use DriveSpeed or even allow it to run, I've noticed that it can cause these odd issues just by being installed. Too bad there's no way to remove it completely.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:48 am

rdgrimes wrote:Even though I do not use DriveSpeed or even allow it to run, I've noticed that it can cause these odd issues just by being installed. Too bad there's no way to remove it completely.

???
now do you "install" DriveSpeed?

isn't it just an executable, clicked "Exit" quits it completele, no?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:30 am

Since Drive Speed issues commands that change the speed, it could possibly cause issues if a drive didn't respond properly or commands weren't released, etc.

On the other hand, as dodecahedon has pointed out, Drive Speed is a stand-alone utility self contained in one executable file. It doesn't install any residual drivers and can't cause a problem unless the program is executed. Removing the executable file from the system is all that should be necessary to completely remove it.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:59 am

Inertia wrote:Drive Speed is a stand-alone utility self contained in one executable file. It doesn't install any residual drivers and can't cause a problem unless the program is executed. Removing the executable file from the system is all that should be necessary to completely remove it.

sorry for being dense...what do you mean by "Removing the executable file from the system" ?
the way i understand it: either DriveSpeed is running (in the background, i see it in the system tray) or it's not.
to get it running i double click the DriveSpeed.exe file.
to stop it running, i right-click the icon and then Exit.
that stops it running, and to my understanding "completely removes it from the system".

did i get it right?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:36 am

dodecahedron wrote:sorry for being dense...what do you mean by "Removing the executable file from the system" ?
the way i understand it: either DriveSpeed is running (in the background, i see it in the system tray) or it's not.
to get it running i double click the DriveSpeed.exe file.
to stop it running, i right-click the icon and then Exit.
that stops it running, and to my understanding "completely removes it from the system".

did i get it right?

Deleting the executable file from the system removes it. Without obsessing about semantics, in my opinion exiting from a program does not "completely remove it from the system". System is generally considered to include loaded software, whether it is running in the background or not. A program may be inactive and harmless, but it is still available for execution.

If a program is not liked and/or trusted, it is best removed (deleted) from the system if it will not be used anyway.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:02 am

OK, got it, it's just semantics.
sorry for going off-topic.
thanks for the clarification.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:39 am

rdgrimes wrote:I'm already running the MS drivers in win2000.

EDIT: re-downloaded and updated---problem solved. Thanks again Karr for your hard work!

I was in the same boat - using the standard MS drivers in Win2K, but it still locked up. However, the revised 1.1.23 works fine. Thaks Karr!

By the way, version 1.2.2 of LtnFlash is now available. It has a new GUI according to the change log. Unfortunately, the download file appears to be corrupted. Winzip reports that 5 bytes are missing, and SimplyZip also reports that the zip structure is corrupted.

Interestingly, despite the "missing" 5 bytes, the download for 1.2.2 is actually much larger than that for 1.2.0 - 573 KBytes versus 305 KBytes. I wonder if this just reflects the fact that the zip file is corrupted, or if there is actually that much new stuff in 1.2.2.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MediumRare on Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:28 am

The new KProbe version 1.23 (call it 1.23a) works fine. The "About" panel now shows ASPI.

I just got a new computer at work with a Sony CRX220E1 burner :D and tried KProbe (1.21) on it yesterday without ASPI. It locked up- had to reboot. So what 1.23 (old) did at home later on looked very familiar. Thanks to ForceASPI, it's no big deal to install or remove, so I tried 1.23 at home without ASPI. Both the old version (22 Aug. 14:32) and the new version 1.23a (23 Aug. 8:01) locked up. Both indicated system drivers on the "About" panel. Like rdgrimes and cfitz, I have the MS drivers installed (XP home, SP1). As I said, 1.23a works normally with ASPI installed, and uses this too according to "About".

I just downloaded LtnFlash 1.2.2, and also found it corrupted.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby CDHero on Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:11 am

MediumRare wrote:I just downloaded LtnFlash 1.2.2, and also found it corrupted.

I uploaded the new zip file , please retry again.
Sorry for my fault !

:wink:
CDHero
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:25 am

karr_wang wrote:I uploaded the new zip file , please retry again.

It works fine now. Thanks Karr.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:18 am

I realize the DriveSpeed thing is OT. I have no explanation for it, but it must be leaving some registry tracks behind or some such thing. I had an issue with the same drive in Alcohol, it refused to show anything but "max" for available read speeds. After opening DriveSpeed and detecting the drive, then disabling and closing DS, the drive now shows proper read speeds in Alcohol and reads correctly in KProbe. Whether this is a real fix or just a short term fix remains to be seen.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:23 am

Re: LtnFlash 1.2.2

the new GUI is great, but it opens in the wrong size window and has to be dragged to fit the contents.

Edit: I take it back, once dragged to proper size, it remembers the size the next time you open it. Very nice Karr!
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:13 pm

rdgrimes wrote:the new GUI is great

Not to mention that a tab in the GUI that went missing is back again.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:02 pm

LtnFlash 1.2.2 works just fine! Thank you, Karr! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby MediumRare on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:06 pm

Thank you Karr, it works fine now.

I like the new style too, but the executable is more than twice as big!

I tried flashing my burner with the same firmware it already had. It was a bit disconcerting to see the progress bar go to 100% almost immediately and then stay with "Programming ... Please wait" for what seemed like an eternity. :roll: But it may have been doing this all along (haven't used it much).

Incidentally, KProbe also has an option now for reading the EEPROM without manually entering a code (see "Raw commands", last item). As far as I can tell, this was introduced in version 1.1.20. The saved file is identical to what LtnFlash generates.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:09 pm

rdgrimes wrote:1.1.23 has a big hairy bug in it.
Freezes program and requires a reboot to get free of it.

Does anyone still have KProbe 1.1.23 with the bug? I wanted to try something with it, but I seem to have deleted it. :oops:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:17 pm

I still have the one with the bug. Tell me where to email it.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:41 pm

Thanks! I PM'd you my e-mail address. :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CDHero on Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:52 am

Dear all my firends,
Thank you for your support about my programs.
I am glad to share my programs to all of you,
but I am still threatened by my colleague,.
He told me my behavior is illegal in Liteon.
So I hope you don't post any link to access my programs, and don't talk about any method to access my web.
My web will keep closed, but I will keep updating my programs and writing useful program for you.

BTW, SmartBurn will combine with MInfo next week. I will release Smartburn 3.0 in LiteOn next week, and MInfo will be phase out.
Thank you very much !!
Last edited by CDHero on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDHero
CD-RW Thug

Postby Bhairav on Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:14 am

Karr: Many thanks for making your products available to us. If it is this one guy who is getting irritated, there is not much you can do about it, I understand. Let him be, but please,PLEASE don't do anything to jeopardise your job at Lite-On. Your job, and not the release of programs for us,should be of the highest priority for you.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:30 pm

bhairavp wrote:Karr: Many thanks for making your products available to us. If it is this one guy who is getting irritated, there is not much you can do about it, I understand. Let him be, but please,PLEASE don't do anything to jeopardise your job at Lite-On. Your job, and not the release of programs for us,should be of the highest priority for you.

I agree. I couldn't say it any better than that.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dhc014 on Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:18 am

Shouldn't the available write speed for this DVD+RW disc be 2.4x, not 2x?

Thanks Karr ;)
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:17 pm

Thank you! I do have one question, though. I have a CD-RW disc, and I am getting a strange result.

Here are the results form SMART-BURN 2.0:
This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = HSCD-RW, Phase Change
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 25s 30f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Memorex,InfoDisc
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 10X

And the results from SMART-BURN 3.0.0:
Drive Type = CD-RW
Disc Type = HIGH SPEED CD-RW
Lead In = 97:25:30
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Nominal = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f/LBA:359848)
Manufacturer = Infodisc Technology Co., Ltd.
Smart-Burn Speed Limit = Wrt(0X),Rd(20X)

Do you have any idea why it says that the write speed is 0X? If it helps, the disc is formatted for packet writing in DirectCD.
Last edited by CDRecorder on Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby rdgrimes on Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:34 pm

Do you have any idea why it says that the write speed is 0X? If it helps, the disc is formatted for packet writing in DirectCD.

I think you answered your own question. Generally, written discs don't show accurate write speed, just as blank discs don't show accurate read speed.

BTW, wouldn't it be better not to refer to certain people by name? Just a thought.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to Recordable Media Discussion